Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

retro gravel bike 1x11 - do I need a chain guide?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-20, 06:34 AM
tammons

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I finally figured out all my components, and now am wondering if I need a chain guide?

Thanks
Old 03-16-20, 07:02 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Maybe?

There are a few ways to lower the odds of chain drop. A chain guide is one. The others are a narrow-wide chainring and a clutched rear derailleur. The current generation of SRAM Red and Force derailleurs have a fluidic clutch-equivalent; Shimano makes a version of the Ultegra derailleur with a clutch, and I believe all their GRX derailleurs have clutches. There are lots of 1× bikes that don't have chain guides, which seems to indicate you can do without.
Old 03-16-20, 07:22 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
Maybe?

There are a few ways to lower the odds of chain drop. A chain guide is one. The others are a narrow-wide chainring and a clutched rear derailleur. The current generation of SRAM Red and Force derailleurs have a fluidic clutch-equivalent; Shimano makes a version of the Ultegra derailleur with a clutch, and I believe all their GRX derailleurs have clutches. There are lots of 1× bikes that don't have chain guides, which seems to indicate you can do without.
Chainrings and clutched derailleurs are not exclusive of chain guides; they can be used in combination. I am a fan of belt-and-suspenders approaches.
Old 03-16-20, 07:26 AM
tammons

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My crank will be a Sram Rival 1 42t and rear cassette Shimano 105 R7000 CS-HG700-11 11-34T and rear derailleur is SHIMANO Shadow RD-R7000 105 11 Speed.
Old 03-16-20, 07:35 AM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Yes, adamrice is correct. If you're using a narrow-wide chainring and a clutch-type rear derailleur, you don't need a chain guide. I converted my home built gravel/crappy weather commuter bike to a 1x set up last year, and so far it's performed flawlessly. The frame I built is steel and very similar to most vintage bike frames. I made a Youtube video on all the parts I used to convert the bike that might be useful to someone looking for ways to do a durable, inexpensive 1x conversion.

Old 03-16-20, 09:42 AM
laxpatrick

Bikes: Canyon, Gunnar, Speshes mtb and phat

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Totally agree with adamrice and Le Mechanic - I did a Ritchey Breakaway Cross with a SRAM Force 1 1x11 - it's one of the smoothest, trouble-free setups I've got in the stable. For all the trips the bike has literally needed zero fiddling in the past year. I'm a big fan of this setup.
Old 03-17-20, 06:22 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I'm using a narrow-wide chainring and clutch DR on my 1x10 and have had no chain drop issues. I have another bike set up as a 1 x 11 with narrow-wide ring and just a road DR. Although I consider it more of a road bike, I have run it for many miles on unpaved trails that were a bit rough in some places. Still no chain drops since I installed the narrow-wide.
Old 03-17-20, 08:08 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
If you haven't already bought the 105 derailleur, I'd get a GRX derailleur instead for the clutch.