Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Which bike to convert?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Which bike to convert?

Old 12-20-19, 04:58 AM
TinyBear

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE, Giant Seek1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Which bike to convert?

I looking to build myself a EBIKE for next summer. But can’t decide on which of my bikes to be the sober. I presently have a Giant Boulder SE (cheaper hardtail Mountain bike) and a Giant Seek 1 (mid level hybrid bike).

I like both bikes BUT the mountain bike sees far far more use as I just enjoy it more. But it’s fork is kinda weak especially for my weight (260lbs) and has rim brakes.

The Seek feels much higher end rolls sooo much easier and is a ridged bike front and back so handles my weight a bit better in that regard. It also has AWESOME hydraulic disk brakes. The only issue I have here is I dislike the ultra narrow wheels (they are sketchy on imperfect roads paths and gravel around here). and the tire fill nipples on this thing at a bit of a pita.

Id love to get a Giant Fathom E+3 as It seems perfect for my use looks great and I love the larger tires over my 26”s on my mountain bike. But the cost is just not achievable at this time, and I really think electric ASSIST is perfect way to help me get back into this great sport so I’m looking at kits from Befang and TongSheng. Still trying sort out what’s best use for me and compatible batteries etc.

Last edited by TinyBear; 12-20-19 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-20-19, 11:45 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I would do the newer bike. I've read a few posts where owners complain about the lack of power on the Tong Sheng, but have never seen that said about the Bafang. .I have the BBS02 since 2016. Plenty of power. I do have a Tong Sheng, but it's been sitting in it box waiting for a donor bike, probably a mild mannered donor bike. Basically wanted to see what all the fuss about torque sensor was about, although the most common complaint about the Tong SHeng was torque sensor not working.
Old 12-20-19, 01:49 PM
Dewey101

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Sports; 2017 Breezer Downtown 8 ST converted to ebike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Try one then if you don't like it try the other, this is what I like about DIY if you don't like it just move it over to something else.
Old 12-20-19, 11:07 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
That is true. It's not a one way trip to convert to an ebike. Unless you did what I did, not having a $4 chain breaker, I cut off the front derailleur instead of breaking the chain and unlooping it.
Old 12-22-19, 09:39 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I am going to suggest the Giant. That is mostly because of the brakes. It also looks like it has a larger triangle for putting the batteries in.

I have both the BaFang and the TongSheng. I recommend the Bafang. You can just choose to use a lower setting on the Bafang if you want more motor input (input into the total amount of power produced). I have never seen my TongSheng approach its supposed 750W rating. That being said, the torque sensor on the TongSheng does work better than the rotation sensor on the BaFang if you are planning to use it without a throttle.

All that said, I do not see myself ever getting another TongSheng.
Old 12-23-19, 08:40 PM
open5g

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have converted a couple of hard tale Cannondale which have conventional rectangular frames and built an eBike using a 29er carbon frame with carbon seat post, integrated bar, titanium BB.

I prefer using rear-wheel mounted electric motor conversion kits because they have more power/weight and better drive characteristics if you balance the rear motor with a triangle battery pack. This is the arrangement the Israeli military and other special units forces have come to use. They build custom center triangle compartments that attach via locked brackets for 30 second swap-outs. The triangle battery can be large. Using a large battery means the weight has to be distributed lower and more central.

If range and power are not a priority, then you should determine what battery you will use and then measure the frame... measure it again. See what others things as you are doing here. The first choices are how you will use the bike... how far, hot fat and lazy you are (being funny), or if this is one of multiple eBikes you plan to play around with so can build multiple ones to suit.

Suspension on eBikes is not important to me: a $120-$200 suspension seat post with good air shocks in front can do all you need. eBikes are heavy and too much suspension can lead of the '1950s Cadillac ride' phenomena. That can be bad on a two-wheel vehicle which is why motorcycles have much stouter frames and suspensions.
Old 12-24-19, 02:42 AM
TinyBear

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE, Giant Seek1

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks all. Seems I will likely opt for converting the hybrid bike. This bike will be a exercise, bike path, and general run about for now. I say likely because I still researching complete bikes and weighing benefits and costs etc.

By looks of things a Befang BBSHD kits for my bikes going run me around $1700cdn shipped to my door taxes in. And a few hours in the garage.

Alternately I can opt for a rad power Bike for similar $$$ go up to spending around $3000 for a good hard tail Giant e bike from my local bike shop or something like https://www.voltbike.com/voltbike-enduro.html. The last bike is interesting to me as it’s the cheapest full suspension mid drive e bike I have seen. BUT $3000 is still a lot of money to me to spend on a bicycle. I have purchased street legal motorcycles for far less.

That being said. Any one know much about volt bikes. Not much in way of reviews etc and info on them. Worth the cost?

Last edited by TinyBear; 12-24-19 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-27-19, 07:07 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
I would use the Seek, beacuse of the disks. Get a decent suspension fork, put some wider tires on it and if its the presta valves that are a PITA drill the wheels to accept Schraders. Its a 2 minute fix with a drill and a small file to clean the holes a little.