Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Adjusted seat and wow!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Adjusted seat and wow!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-20, 12:39 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Adjusted seat and wow!

Ok I have my road bike set and have not messed with the adjustment in at least 2 years. The seat has not moved or anything and I have not grown taller. For some reason I notice that when I was riding the seat could be a little higher and it might feel better to ride. I was not having any issues and in fact been riding a huge amount averaging 225 mile weeks with the last 7 days of 350.

Well I moved my seat up yesterday just a bit maybe 1 cm or little less than 1/2 inch. Today I went out to ride and wow what a complete different. Everything about it felt much easier. I felt like I had more power and legs less cramp ed, much easier to stand and pedal. I cannot believe how much of a difference it made and wonder if anyone after years of same fit has done this and noticed the improvement. That is all I did not one thing else changed and I am not exactly sure of the amount but it was not much. I can hardly tell looking but I felt it the whole ride. Could it be riding more something changed?
Old 03-27-20, 02:23 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I hope you keep a record of bike fit measurements for future reference. Park Tool has a road position chart you can download and fill in your own numbers. I've been doing that for a number of years and it is interesting to see how my position has changed over the years. Glad you found an improvement. That is hard to do.
Old 03-27-20, 03:13 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Well I moved my seat up yesterday just a bit maybe 1 cm or little less than 1/2 inch. Today I went out to ride and wow what a complete different.
I've "been" there. However, after 1-2 rides you might come back to the old performance. And don't be surprised if, moving back the saddle after a longer time, you'll have again a short time and small performance boost. You can probably switch between the two positions (around 1 cm difference - both might be optimal) every 10-15 rides and feel that small and short time performance boost.
Likes For Redbullet:
Old 03-27-20, 03:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I often make minor adjustments to suit how I feel that day or week. Maybe 1/4" to the stem/bar height, 1/8" to the saddle height, fore/aft position, etc. With age related wear and tear and multiple injuries, I listen to my body.

I do keep reference marks or tape on the default positions, but those are just guides.

I remember a documentary movie showing a young Eddie Merckx personally supervising the setup of his bikes, including using a level and ruler to check the saddles after his mechanic set up the bikes. But a few years later another documentary film shows Merckx making his own saddle adjustment on the fly, just roughly jerking it into position. After a serious crash during his prime, and cumulative injuries, he seemed to adjust the bike to suit how he felt that day, not how things *should* be based on his youth or rigid guidelines.

Chris Froome is the same way, maybe more extreme. His mechanic has talked about letting Froome do whatever he feels is right for that day. Some rides Froome's saddle position looks normal. Other stages his saddle looks so low it's almost like his knees are on the verge of hitting his chin. And he's always looked awkward on a bike, like a pterodactyl swooped out of the sky, stole a bike and went racing. His odd physique probably defies most conventional bike fitting guidelines.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 03-27-20, 03:44 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Seat height is so specific to the individual. What works for one person is doom for another. I've had bike fitters comment that my seat is too low, but I see a noticeable drop in power and an increase in hamstring cramping if I raise it 0.25mm higher than it is.

I know it's in the right spot when I get a 1:1 ratio of VMO to hamstring cramps. It means both sides of my legs are working appropriately well.
Old 03-27-20, 08:45 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
GCN did a video on saddle position. They found out that a lot of riders change the saddle position frequently. They talked to a team mechanic or manager, can’t remember which and they said as long as the rider doesn’t try go to far, the let them do it.
Old 03-27-20, 09:01 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
1 cm is a lot!
Old 03-27-20, 09:09 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Other little things may affect bike fit feel for some riders. A few years ago I noticed little difference between my bikes with crank lengths of 170, 172.5 and 175. Within 15 minutes of riding they all felt the same to me.

But late last year I started noticing a difference. It mostly showed up in minor knee twinges, muscle fatigue during a ride, soreness after, and sudden cramps.

For several months last year my main road bike was an older 1993 Trek 5900 set up with Biopace 52/42 eccentric chainrings. There isn't a huge difference in the 52 ring -- it's only very slightly not-quite-round. But I could really feel the difference in the smaller ring -- it *felt* like it gave me a bit of a leverage effect. Took awhile to adapt, mostly by slowing my cadence from 90 rpm to 75 or slower. My pedal stroke is already choppy, better suited to platform pedals. So Biopace worked out for me.

In January I had to take that old Trek apart for a long overdue total overhaul, especially the headset. So I decided to swap the Biopace 52/42 rings over to my '89 Ironman, which had been wearing 50/38 Vuelta round rings and felt perfectly fine that way.

Soon I developed knee pain and persistent soreness. Made no sense until I methodically checked everything and realized the Trek had 170 cranks while the Ironman had 172.5 cranks. On the Ironman the Biopace rings felt surge-y, herky-jerky, odd and annoying.

I swapped the entire crankset over to the Ironman. Problem solved. The 2.5mm difference really mattered, at least with my 62 y/o knees and choppy pedaling style.

Now the 175 cranks on my Univega hybrid feel odd, too long. If the saddle height is off even slightly, either my leg feels hyper-extended (tight ligaments behind the knee, pain around the patella, hamstring cramps at night), or the saddle feels too low with consequent faster fatigue of my quads.

When I first got that bike I loved the way the cranks felt. Now I'm considering putting 170 cranks on every bike to minimize variables.