Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Hybrid bicycles from bikesdirect.com

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-12, 08:33 PM
alexljz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for a bicycle to get around to work (~2 mi), class (~8 mi) and just general commuting as well. I probably won't be going any further than 20 miles on this bicycle?

Anyway, I was looking at bikesdirect.com and this struck me as a pretty good deal:
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...essex_sale.htm
The only thing that seems left to be done is to put a rack on the back/front.

Would it be better to just buy this since it's all new or try and look for a used hybrid on craigslist (or something else, suggestions welcomed)?
I'm also relatively new to cycling on roads and I don't know if single-speed is a good idea. Thanks!
Old 09-10-12, 08:51 PM
Turtle Speed
happy bike wishes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The thing that gives me pause is that it's a single speed. Some fixed gear nuts love only having one gear, but personally, I like having choices.

I think gears are even more helpful on commuter bikes. You may be doing lots of stopping and starting, etc. and it's nice to be able to downshift when you're getting to that red light, stop sign, or are going up a slight incline. I live in a perfectly flat area and I still would never give up my gears.

This bike has some geometry features similar to a slow cruiser, such as the big, sweeping handlebars. For a trip down to the local grocery store, that bike is probably a beauty. More than that... ehhh. And 8 miles is no joke of a commute.

IMO, hold out for a decent used hybrid bike. You'll be able to go faster, and if you can get the shifting tuned up correctly, you will probably love being able to switch gears. It shouldn't really cost you any more, and used bikes are awesome for people just getting into riding, because the value for the cost is nice, and as you gain riding experience and get the itch down the road to try riding a different type of bike (which happens to many beginners), you can always resell it down the road for not terribly less than you paid for it.
Old 09-10-12, 10:04 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The problem with buying from BD (or any other e-tailer) for people who admit that they are new to cycling in general is that the value is deceptive. The prices are lower than you'd find in a bike shop (but the BD 'compare to' price is a bit exaggerated). However, if you are committed to buying online, you now have to rely on total strangers for input.

You may be better off trying to locate a co-op or bike kitchen in your area that can help you find something that will work for you. You said you were going to ride to class... if it's a sizeable college, you may have a shop located on campus and not know it.
Old 09-11-12, 06:18 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
...(but the BD 'compare to' price is a bit exaggerated).....
Be carefull, I suggested this a number of months ago on BD hybrid thread and was flogged and had my testicals removed by a BD Shill, for not understanding the BD business model.
Old 09-11-12, 07:47 AM
rsnelson

Bikes: Kona Dew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as the single-speed goes, depends on the landscape - are you riding where there are hills or is it relatively flat? If hilly then you will probably be glad for at least a few gears though you probably don't need and won't necessarily use 24! A 3 or 8 speed wold probably be great. If you're riding on fairly flat roads than a single speed can be great considering it's very low maintenance.

Re: buy from BD, a couple of things to consider: Since you haven't ridden on roads much I would really suggest at least visiting a few bike shops and test riding a variety of frame types to get a feel for what you like and what fits you well. Especially if you don't know exactly what fits you I'm leery of buying without riding. Even though you aren't planning on riding a lot, if the bike isn't comfortable you might end up riding even less than you'd planned.

Also, consider the fact that if you buy from BD, you'll need to either assemble it yourself or have someone else assemble it so if you're not comfortable wrenching that might be a strike against.

Beyond that I know a lot of people have bought from BD and are very happy with the bikes they got and the Windsor's certainly seem to be nice bikes.
Old 09-11-12, 12:12 PM
SuperDave

Bikes: Canyon Roadlite AL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I'm not a BD hater, but I cannot recommend them for a new rider. As has been mentioned, you need to already know what you like - what fits you well - and how the geometry numbers you see listed translate into what the bike will feel like for you. That's of primary importance, and of secondary importance is the need to know basic bicycle mechanics as you're going to be doing some assembly and tuning yourself.
Old 09-11-12, 08:10 PM
alexljz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Yea, I'll certainly keep an eye out for used bikes on craigslist. Would touring bikes be suitable for my purposes too?
Old 09-11-12, 09:19 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alexljz
Thanks for the responses. Yea, I'll certainly keep an eye out for used bikes on craigslist. Would touring bikes be suitable for my purposes too?
A touring bike is more than suitable.
Old 09-13-12, 04:07 AM
Turtle Speed
happy bike wishes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring bikes rock for commuters. Good speed, generally very comfortable if the fit is right, nice gearsets, and a lot of them come with awesome commuter goodies like fenders and racks, or at least the frame options to add them at some point.
Old 09-15-12, 05:37 AM
Delmarva

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Be sure to read the thread on this forum dealing with a very unhappy puchaser of a bike that was delivered damaged from Bikes Direct. It is so much easier to get a fully assembled, adjusted and tested bike from a LBS. And their prices are competitive when you consider value added.
Old 09-15-12, 07:57 AM
mattheis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Picked one up for the wife, the mens 51cm... And it runs huge, it had a nearly 32" stand over. The bike is a tank too, very heavy. Here's a pic before I disassembled it and put some of the parts on a new smaller frame.

All the components are bottom barrel cheap and not too much worth keeping... I got the one with the fenders and rear rack, those were probably the only keepers