Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Weight of aftermarket fenders?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 11:06 PM
northernlights

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was in a LBS the other day looking around on my lunch break. I noticed a pair of SKS 'Chromoplastic' model fenders they had on display. the fenders were assembled but not installed on a bike. I picked them up to feel the weight. they were much heavier than I thought. the fenders themselves are actually pretty light because of their alloy/plastic material. the bulk of the weight is in the stays which are made of heavy chrome stainless steel. and are pretty thick.

I'm no weight weenie but even for me these things were almost like bricks. okay maybe that's a slight exaggeration but boy are they heavy. makes me think twice about putting on fenders. dont be fooled by the fact they're made of plastic. no wonder they don't tell you the weight on their website. its not on the packaging either. but I'd estimate they were maybe roughly 7 to 10 pounds combined front and rear. anyone know the weight for the planet bike fenders with stays?

when I'm in the market for fenders I'll probably go with the clip-ons.
Old 09-12-12, 11:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Berthoud of France has carbon fiber mudguards, if the weight has issues ,,
Old 09-12-12, 11:48 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Totally unscientific, but Amazon lists the shipping weight of the SKS Chromeplastics at 1.7 pounds, PB Speedez at 1.4 pounds, and the PB Freddy Fenders also at 1.4 pounds.
Old 09-13-12, 05:53 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
They may be 7 to 10 pounds on Jupiter, but not on this planet.

I've installed both the SKS P45 and Planet Bike ATBs on bikes here at home. Including all of the hardware, the SKS were definitely lighter, but not by much. Definitely on the low end of 1 - 2 pounds per set.
Old 09-13-12, 05:58 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by northernlights
I was in a LBS the other day looking around on my lunch break. I noticed a pair of SKS 'Chromoplastic' model fenders they had on display. the fenders were assembled but not installed on a bike. I picked them up to feel the weight. they were much heavier than I thought. the fenders themselves are actually pretty light because of their alloy/plastic material. the bulk of the weight is in the stays which are made of heavy chrome stainless steel. and are pretty thick.

I'm no weight weenie but even for me these things were almost like bricks. okay maybe that's a slight exaggeration but boy are they heavy. makes me think twice about putting on fenders. dont be fooled by the fact they're made of plastic. no wonder they don't tell you the weight on their website. its not on the packaging either. but I'd estimate they were maybe roughly 7 to 10 pounds combined front and rear. anyone know the weight for the planet bike fenders with stays?

when I'm in the market for fenders I'll probably go with the clip-ons.
THe Chromoplastic stays use a thicker gauge wire on the stays (as compared to the Longboards), but I doubt they are as heavy as you say.

Originally Posted by mulveyr
They may be 7 to 10 pounds on Jupiter, but not on this planet.

I've installed both the SKS P45 and Planet Bike ATBs on bikes here at home. Including all of the hardware, the SKS were definitely lighter, but not by much. Definitely on the low end of 1 - 2 pounds per set.
I'd say ^^. I have a pair of both ready to install, but no scale - so I'd have to say they are roughly ?? I don't really worry about it because of the benefits they offer.
Old 09-13-12, 08:14 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
I've got the Planet Bike hybrid fenders on my bike, and they're nowhere near that heavy - maybe 1kg at most between the two fenders including all hardware. But I'm not a weight weenie anyway, not when my bike is around 14-15kg unloaded, and quite a bit more than that when I'm loaded up for commuting. The protection the fenders offer is well worth the minor added weight, IMO.
Old 09-13-12, 08:36 AM
northernlights

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone have experience with these other brands? they look interesting.

https://www.tobapeople.com/en/product/frank/

https://www.tobapeople.com/en/product/fergie/

https://bontrager.com/model/04684

https://bontrager.com/model/08440 (they claim quick removal and install without tools)

Last edited by northernlights; 09-13-12 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-13-12, 02:46 PM
SuperDave

Bikes: Canyon Roadlite AL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If I'm to believe the info on the container, my SKS Raceblades weigh 300g for the pair. That feels close, in-hand.
Old 09-13-12, 09:41 PM
northernlights

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDave
If I'm to believe the info on the container, my SKS Raceblades weigh 300g for the pair. That feels close, in-hand.
whatever their actual weight, they feel like they weigh a ton when you actually put them on your tires. at least for me they do.

I test rode two Specialized bikes of the exact same model and components except one had SKS chromoplastic fenders and one had no fenders. the one with no fenders felt effortless and a dream to ride, like riding on air. but then when I got on the bike with the fenders my first thought was dang is this the same bike? the difference was noticeable immediately and felt like I was pedaling in molasses. I had flashbacks to riding my dads rusty old Schwinn steel bike when I was a kid. a a bike that was made in the 1970s. felt like someone put two big lead weights on each tire. it was disappointing because I did like the look and functionality of the SKS fenders. but the effect it has on the feel of the bike is intolerable. it changed the feel and handling characteristics of the bike completely.

hopefully some of the other brands I'm looking at would be lighter. I emailed the companies to request the weight information because they never seem to list it on their websites. so we'll see if they'll respond. I also emailed SKS for the weight info so I'll post their response when I get it.

Last edited by northernlights; 09-13-12 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 09:54 PM
SuperDave

Bikes: Canyon Roadlite AL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
As near as I can tell - you obviously can't place perfect belief in *anyone's* claim - the Chromoplastics are twice the weight of my Raceblades. The packaging of mine claimed their weight as heavier than some of the places selling them claimed.
Old 09-13-12, 10:47 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
whatever their actual weight, they feel like they weigh a ton when you actually put them on your tires. at least for me they do.

I test rode two Specialized bikes of the exact same model and components except one had SKS chromoplastic fenders and one had no fenders. the one with no fenders felt effortless and a dream to ride, like riding on air. but then when I got on the bike with the fenders my first thought was dang is this the same bike? the difference was noticeable immediately and felt like I was pedaling in molasses. I had flashbacks to riding my dads rusty old Schwinn steel bike when I was a kid. a a bike that was made in the 1970s. felt like someone put two big lead weights on each tire. it was disappointing because I did like the look and functionality of the SKS fenders. but the effect it has on the feel of the bike is intolerable. it changed the feel and handling characteristics of the bike completely.

hopefully some of the other brands I'm looking at would be lighter. I emailed the companies to request the weight information because they never seem to list it on their websites. so we'll see if they'll respond. I also emailed SKS for the weight info so I'll post their response when I get it.
There's your problem- you mount the fenders to the frame and the fork so that the wheels run smoothly under them.
Old 09-14-12, 06:27 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
it changed the feel and handling characteristics of the bike completely.
Ummm, no it didn't. You're imagining things.
Old 09-15-12, 07:40 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

+1

Different bike (Trek DS 8.5) but same experience. After my LBS mounted fenders (I didn't ask the brand, I relied on his expertise -- but they are 'high end"), the bike simply feels a lot heavier and more work to pedal.

And, no, it is not my 'imagination' because I was not expecting the effect.

But, at the same time he mounted the fenders I was also adding other components one by one: headlight, rear rack, pump, saddle bag, extra tube, kickstand, cable lock etc...

When purchased, the bike weighed 29#. Now it is pushing 35#.

I could strip all that stuff off -- but I have no intention of doing that: The bike is my utility bike that I can use pretty much anyplace and anytime. If I want stripped down fast, I go to my drop bar road bike -- but that only goes out on dry days in the daylight hours.

Utility and functionality come at a cost.
Old 09-15-12, 06:48 PM
northernlights

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac
+1

Different bike (Trek DS 8.5) but same experience. After my LBS mounted fenders (I didn't ask the brand, I relied on his expertise -- but they are 'high end"), the bike simply feels a lot heavier and more work to pedal.

And, no, it is not my 'imagination' because I was not expecting the effect.

But, at the same time he mounted the fenders I was also adding other components one by one: headlight, rear rack, pump, saddle bag, extra tube, kickstand, cable lock etc...

When purchased, the bike weighed 29#. Now it is pushing 35#.

I could strip all that stuff off -- but I have no intention of doing that: The bike is my utility bike that I can use pretty much anyplace and anytime. If I want stripped down fast, I go to my drop bar road bike -- but that only goes out on dry days in the daylight hours.

Utility and functionality come at a cost.
thank you. I knew it wasn't just me!
Old 09-15-12, 07:06 PM
northernlights

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
only Planet Bike and SKS responded to my email request. they said

648 grams or 1.4 lbs total weight for the Planet Bike Cascadia hybrid fenders
733 grams or 1.6 lbs total weight for the SKS chromoplastics.

regardless, they still feel like a ton on the bike. so I think I'll pass on the fenders.