Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Female bicylist killed in Boston today.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 05:16 PM
jaytxvo

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Trek Soho S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/09/1...-south-boston/

Looks like she was on the left side of the truck trying to make the turn.

check out the first comment by Lisa, what do you guys think about it?
Old 09-17-12, 05:56 PM
SuperDave

Bikes: Canyon Roadlite AL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
My first impression is that the rider made a very poor choice in the situation, apparently attempting to leg it out inside a truck making a wide turn. Too many chances for some random error, and one was obviously made. As regards the comment, the only reasonable response is "How dare you politicize a tragedy?" There isn't much lower on the moral ladder.
Old 09-17-12, 06:10 PM
spunkyj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaytxvo
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/09/1...-south-boston/

Looks like she was on the left side of the truck trying to make the turn.

check out the first comment by Lisa, what do you guys think about it?

It would appear that the 18 wheeler was making a left hand turn from the rightmost lane which is standard for large trucks, and the cyclist attempted a left turn at the same time. This is tragic, but probably preventable from the cyclist's perspective. In general, it is never safe to pass or ride alongside a truck that's preparing to turn (hopefully the driver also signaled).

As for the comment, it appears to be an unrelated and incoherent rant. For better or for worse, everyone gets an equal voice on the internet.
Old 09-17-12, 06:17 PM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Mumbles" referws to the Mayor, known by some as "Mumbles Menino" for the way he speaks. Evidently Lisa has an axe to gring with Mayor Menino and decided this was a good place for it. Pity.
Old 09-17-12, 08:44 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SuperDave
My first impression is that the rider made a very poor choice in the situation, apparently attempting to leg it out inside a truck making a wide turn. Too many chances for some random error, and one was obviously made. As regards the comment, the only reasonable response is "How dare you politicize a tragedy?" There isn't much lower on the moral ladder.
Sadly, She made a bad choice. But the second comment to the story, on the website, was really pathetic.

Last edited by Chris516; 09-17-12 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 08:51 PM
welshTerrier2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I looked at that intersection and it appears that both the truck driver and the cyclist were traveling in a southwesterly direction on A Street and tried to turn southeasterly onto West Broadway. I base this on the shadows being cast by the truck's engine compartment. The collision occurred in the afternoon suggesting that the photo linked to in the OP was taken facing the southwest.

If all of the above is correct, the truck driver, if he indeed did turn left from the right lane, did so from a right-turn only lane. I also do not agree that trucks should be allowed to "swing wide" to make their turns. My view is that if they can't "fit" in the lanes, trucks should be banned from using that street.

This is the third cyclist killed in the Boston area in the last month or so. One was a hit-and-run and I don't think the driver has been charged... yet. The next was a cyclist killed by a drunk driver. And now, this. Still, no public service ads for either cyclist or motor vehicle drivers. Still, no cyclist safety education. Without more public education and awareness, nothing will change.
Old 09-17-12, 09:14 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by spunkyj
In general, it is never safe to pass or ride alongside a truck that's preparing to turn (hopefully the driver also signaled).
I pass along side semi trucks on a regular basis if their signal is not flashing, the trick is to be aware of any outlet that there may be available at the time before making the pass, in the case that the drive fails to signal their turn.

We'll have to wait and see in any future updates on whether the truck driver signaled their turn or not.
Old 09-18-12, 07:00 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Yes, a bad choice was made by the rider and Lisa - despite her names apparent sex - is a prick.

This is sad, a tragic loss and should be mourned.

Let's be careful out there people, in bike vs car / truck the car / truck will always win.
Old 09-18-12, 07:10 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
another article with less advertising

https://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/l...-south-boston/
Old 09-18-12, 07:19 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by welshTerrier2
This is the third cyclist killed in the Boston area in the last month or so. One was a hit-and-run and I don't think the driver has been charged... yet. The next was a cyclist killed by a drunk driver. And now, this. Still, no public service ads for either cyclist or motor vehicle drivers. Still, no cyclist safety education. Without more public education and awareness, nothing will change.
What would the public service ads or "education" program SAY to either cyclist or motor vehicle drivers - "Don't Drive Drunk" or "Don't Hit and Run"?

Do you really believe anybody, anywhere is not already aware of those safety mantras? Why would a knee jerk response of a public service ad or a so-called "cyclist safety education" feel good scheme change anything?
Old 09-18-12, 07:33 AM
welshTerrier2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What would the public service ads or "education" program SAY to either cyclist or motor vehicle drivers - "Don't Drive Drunk" or "Don't Hit and Run"?

Do you really believe anybody, anywhere is not already aware of those safety mantras? Why would a knee jerk response of a public service ad or a so-called "cyclist safety education" feel good scheme change anything?
"Knee jerk" is an unnecessarily inflammatory term. Are you opposed to educating the public about safe driving? The type of public service ads I'm talking about would include things like passing cyclists at a safe distance. It would explain to auto drivers that cyclists sometimes need to be somewhere other than right next to the curb. It would talk about the most common car-bike collisions and what can be done to avoid them. Sample videos for all of the above situations would help clarify the situation.

And, by the way, do you think the "don't drink and drive" campaign hasn't helped at all? It's interesting that you refer to "cyclist safety education as a "feel good scheme". How are people supposed to learn the many safety tips that get discussed in this forum? Surely you're not relying on so-called common sense.
Old 09-18-12, 07:37 AM
northernlights

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thats what happens when you assume drivers will always give you the right of way. or you assume that they see you. a bicyclist is much harder to notice than someone on a motorcycle. with the motorcycle you have the advantage of being heard because motorcycle engines are very noisy. people can hear you coming from a mile away. but on a bicycle you are completely silent so you are much less noticeable. despite what the law may say in the real world people on bicycles have ZERO right of way. especially on North American streets which tend to be very cyclist unfriendly. dont ever assume that drivers will give you the right of way. they cant even see you most of the time! and don't ever pass in front of a vehicle unless you have first made direct eye contact with the driver and it is very obvious they are giving you the right of way. otherwise always give the cars the right of way. and dont assume a painted bike lane will protect you because it wont.
Old 09-18-12, 07:46 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
I haven't seen any details of this incident that would lead me to blame the victim for what happened. No matter what kind of vehicle we are in, we're all at the mercy of other vehicle operators. It's quite possible that the trucker did something that none of us could have reacted in time to save ourselves from.
Old 09-18-12, 07:47 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by northernlights
thats what happens when you assume drivers will always give you the right of way. or you assume that they see you. a bicyclist is much harder to notice than someone on a motorcycle. with the motorcycle you have the advantage of being heard because motorcycle engines are very noisy. people can hear you coming from a mile away. but on a bicycle you are completely silent so you are much less noticeable. despite what the law may say in the real world people on bicycles have ZERO right of way. especially on North American streets which tend to be very cyclist unfriendly. dont ever assume that drivers will give you the right of way. they cant even see you most of the time! and don't ever pass in front of a vehicle unless you have first made direct eye contact with the driver and it is very obvious they are giving you the right of way. otherwise always give the cars the right of way. and dont assume a painted bike lane will protect you because it wont.
The way your post reads, I might as well leave my bike parked at home, and not even venture out. Judging by how many motorists react to my presence on the roadway, I'd say that the majority of motorists I interact with daily, see me very well, and please leave your ZERO right of way for cyclists attitude at home, it stinks profusely.
Old 09-18-12, 07:49 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
"Knee jerk" is an unnecessarily inflammatory term. Are you opposed to educating the public about safe driving? The type of public service ads I'm talking about would include things like passing cyclists at a safe distance. It would explain to auto drivers that cyclists sometimes need to be somewhere other than right next to the curb. It would talk about the most common car-bike collisions and what can be done to avoid them. Sample videos for all of the above situations would help clarify the situation.

And, by the way, do you think the "don't drink and drive" campaign hasn't helped at all? It's interesting that you refer to "cyclist safety education as a "feel good scheme". How are people supposed to learn the many safety tips that get discussed in this forum? Surely you're not relying on so-called common sense.
You proposed ads and education programs as a specific response to fatalities caused by a drunken driver and a hit and run driver. How do you think your allegedly well thought out plan, if it had already been in effect, have changed the outcome for cyclist victims of an irresponsible drunken driver or hit and run driver?
Old 09-18-12, 07:50 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
situational awareness especially where trucks are concerned. cyclists absolutely need to stay away from them in urban environments where turns are concerned. this scenario comes up from time to time. I remember a similar situation in England last year.
Old 09-18-12, 07:58 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tragic. Why was she on the left side of the truck, and why didn't she stop when she realized the truck was also turning? Truck drivers have almost no visibility to the side.

As far as the comment by Lisa, just another ignorant driver who thinks they own the road. I've learned to ignore such people.
Old 09-18-12, 08:05 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
situational awareness especially where trucks are concerned. cyclists absolutely need to stay away from them in urban environments where turns are concerned. this scenario comes up from time to time. I remember a similar situation in England last year.
I'd get nowhere if I had to avoid semi trucks, and if the truck driver is signaling a turn then I will hang back. Too many times have I seen truck drivers in our city wield their truck as though it were the family sports sedan, plus a truck driver operating in an urban environment needs to have their game on just as well, if not better, than any cyclist.

Checking out the street that the truck driver was turning onto, it is clearly marked for trucks over 2 1/2 tons capacities not to use.

Last edited by dynodonn; 09-18-12 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-18-12, 08:13 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
1. Motorcyclists are frequently victims of not being seen as well. If you think you're substantially safer on a motor cycle, you're kidding yourself. And you're less agile and less able to compensate for errors from others, or yourself. It's been shown over and over - motorists are mentally scanning for cars and will, at times, just overlook other shapes - like bikes (motorized or not).

2. This is all speculation in blaming the cyclist or driver - there isn't really enough information to draw a conclusion from. It sounds to me like he made an illegal turn from the wrong lane and she was in his blind spot...or he just didn't see her. Regardless of whether she SHOULD have avoided him, he has the duty to check before any turn, particularly an illegal one.

3. I think there are a substantial portion of motorists who flat out don't know how to react to us or even what the rules are. I think a PSA about safe passing, opening doors, etc. would be a huge help. With a reminder that we're children, parents, etc. We're real people...not weirdos.
Old 09-18-12, 08:30 AM
welshTerrier2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You proposed ads and education programs as a specific response to fatalities caused by a drunken driver and a hit and run driver. How do you think your allegedly well thought out plan, if it had already been in effect, have changed the outcome for cyclist victims of an irresponsible drunken driver or hit and run driver?
Are you serious??? First of all, you didn't respond at all to the types of safety ads I proposed. Do you not want to teach the public the safety issues we discuss in this forum? I didn't propose ads only for the specific accidents being discussed. Secondly, neither you nor I have any idea how the hit-and-run accident occurred. To say that more education and awareness couldn't have helped in that situation is nonsense. We would not be teaching people to not hit-and-run; we would be teaching them how to avoid accidents with cyclists. And, if the cyclist was at fault, we would be teaching them as well. As for the person killed by a drunk driver, drunk driving fatalities are way down since the "don't drive drunk" campaign began. You choose to point to one incident and conclude the whole program has no value. I would not call that a logical way to make your point.

Your hostility for increased education and awareness to make cycling safer is truly alarming. If those of us who cycle have to fight with our own to make the roads safer for us, our chances are worse than I thought they were.
Old 09-18-12, 08:34 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Are you serious??? First of all, you didn't respond at all to the types of safety ads I proposed. Do you not want to teach the public the safety issues we discuss in this forum? I didn't propose ads only for the specific accidents being discussed. Secondly, neither you nor I have any idea how the hit-and-run accident occurred. To say that more education and awareness couldn't have helped in that situation is nonsense. We would not be teaching people to not hit-and-run; we would be teaching them how to avoid accidents with cyclists. And, if the cyclist was at fault, we would be teaching them as well. As for the person killed by a drunk driver, drunk driving fatalities are way down since the "don't drive drunk" campaign began. You choose to point to one incident and conclude the whole program has no value. I would not call that a logical way to make your point.

Your hostility for increased education and awareness to make cycling safer is truly alarming. If those of us who cycle have to fight with our own to make the roads safer for us, our chances are worse than I thought they were.
The issue is that many of us disagree on how to best accomplish that. Some want lanes, some want to pretend that they're cars...etc. etc. I think that the idea of cyclists as a group may be in error - there are different riders, of different skill levels, with different priorities who all want different things.
Old 09-18-12, 08:35 AM
spunkyj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
2. This is all speculation in blaming the cyclist or driver - there isn't really enough information to draw a conclusion from. It sounds to me like he made an illegal turn from the wrong lane and she was in his blind spot...or he just didn't see her. Regardless of whether she SHOULD have avoided him, he has the duty to check before any turn, particularly an illegal one.
I don't think the posts here are assigning blame. Rather, many are correctly pointing out that defensive cycling may have prevented this tragedy (irrespective of who is at fault).
Old 09-18-12, 08:42 AM
welshTerrier2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's a sign where this accident happened that reads "No Trucks Over 2 1/2 Ton Cap".

Can anyone tell from this picture of the truck whether it exceeded the weight limit allowed for turning onto this road?
Old 09-18-12, 08:58 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by spunkyj
I don't think the posts here are assigning blame. Rather, many are correctly pointing out that defensive cycling may have prevented this tragedy (irrespective of who is at fault).
I'll buy that.
Old 09-18-12, 09:19 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
If the truck's blinker is on, you gotta know to give them room, but maybe it wasn't on when she started the pass or maybe she thought that she was there first and should be able to turn first. Who knows. Doubt we'll ever know and this will be just one more tragedy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.