Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Opinions on a 1930/1940s French Frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 12:50 PM
phillyrider
peddling fool

Bikes: Mid 50's Frejus, Late 50's Frejus, Early 1960s Frejus Professional, Mid 1960's Frejus Professional, Early 70's Gloria (branded), 76 Blue Pogliaghi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a project frame for the summer. I am not at all well versed in older French bikes - but this looked like a fun project bike.
I am interested in opinions/comments.

Some info that I received from the seller:
1930s/1940s french frame, unknown
Hand lined box lining
Rear drop out has 1043 or 1048, the 41
Bottom bracket has AC in a diamond
BB stamp (hard to read) has a 7 X, triangle

Bottom Bracket 68mm wide, french thread
26.0 seatpost
22. quill stem
likely 3-4 speed cyclo/simplex
built-in porteur chain guard holder
spacing: front 90mm, rear 110mm

Although a likely long-shot, does anyone know if brand/mfg?
Is 1930s-1940s about right (maybe the 41 on the drop out is 1941?)

I am looking to keep the frame as-is (just cleaned up) and use some getting around town parts - probably simple, single speed.
Any suggestions on where to get basic parts.
If I really like the bike than period correct could be down the road.

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
French Frame 1.jpg (95.5 KB, 135 views)
french frame 2.jpg (75.9 KB, 113 views)
french frame 3.jpg (86.6 KB, 128 views)
french frame 4.jpg (79.9 KB, 110 views)
french frame 5.jpg (91.9 KB, 101 views)
Old 06-24-13, 12:51 PM
phillyrider
peddling fool

Bikes: Mid 50's Frejus, Late 50's Frejus, Early 1960s Frejus Professional, Mid 1960's Frejus Professional, Early 70's Gloria (branded), 76 Blue Pogliaghi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some extra pics...

Attached Images
french frame 8.jpg (94.2 KB, 69 views)
french frame 9.jpg (100.0 KB, 60 views)
Old 06-24-13, 01:19 PM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 185 Posts
i don't know the builder, but that looks like a pretty nice French randonneur / porteur frame. It's most likely designed for 650B wheels. It's made for a chainstay-mount derailleur (which would bolt to the tab in front of the drive-side drop-out) with an external tensioning spring that connects to the loop on the drive-side chainstay just behind the bottom bracket shell:

looking at the braze-ons around the BB cluster, they're intended for mounting a chain guard. Lack of a front derailleur braze on indicated that it either didn't have a front derailleur or used a clamp-on model. either way, it was probably rod-actuated as opposed to one controlled by a lever and shift cable. Crankset would be cottered, probably an RFG, Duprat, Nervar, etc.

Brakes were probably an old style of side-pull like LAM. Would have had fenders and racks as well.

Where to find this stuff? Ebay.fr (ebay france) is your best bet. It will be pricey, especially the derailleurs and wheels. I have actually hoarded up nearly all the parts for a restoration of this type and could be convinced to part with them if you're interested. Or you could go the cheaper route and slap a 3-speed SA hub on the back and call it done, it wouldn't be out of place for the period.
Old 06-24-13, 01:38 PM
phillyrider
peddling fool

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks...that rear deraileur is really cool...and this is helpful!

I knew that this would be quite a project. I am not sure if I am ready for fully period correct - although, I may start by getting a cottered crankset/BB set-up going.

If you have full bike pics - It would be cool to see them.
Old 06-24-13, 06:42 PM
phillyrider
peddling fool

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Again thanks for the info...on the brakes, I did not understand why the back brake hole would face down (rather than across). The 2nd pic above shows this.
A quick search on LAM brakes via e-bay shows this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lam-Dural-de...item257cbe2d3c

A quick search on Deprat has a nice cottered crank:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DUPRAT-CHAIN...torefresh=true

Very cool....I am going to start with the Duprat crank...I imagine that the bottom bracket is going to be difficult to size right.
With 68mm - any suggestions on spindle? links/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again.
Old 06-24-13, 07:06 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 327 Posts
If you do it as an original/relic type project, it would be killer. I'm especially drawn to pre-bike boom/pre 10-speed stuff, and I think you could do a very nice, true to the era bicycle. The road ahead is a long one, but I think it would be worth it to do it right in the end. If you do that, you'll probably find it's a bike you'll keep the rest of your life. There's nothing like a really, really old bicycle put together the right way.
Old 06-24-13, 07:31 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
I know little to nothing about French bikes. But if that were an Italian frame, 30s-40s, the Y-shaped chain-stays would make it a city/sport bike, definitely not a road/touring bike. Its the same case for the pump pegs behind the seat tube. The "brake" hole is somewhat problematic for me. Typically on city bikes, that was used securing the fender. But those bikes had rod brakes but this bike does not have the braze-ons for rod brakes.

But again, that is for Italy, I don't know if that holds true for France.
Old 06-24-13, 07:59 PM
phillyrider
peddling fool

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got the frame on C&R from a seller, who knows a great deal more than I. It was a project frame that he was kind enough to let me have at cost.

Probably a bad quote but - old french parts are like an onion. You take a piece and try not to cry...after a little parts research, that's what I am quickly finding.

For this reason - I will likely go with a basic single-speed type-build to see how I like it.
The brake hole was odd until I saw the above LAM pics. I was not sure what to do with a rear brake until I stumbled onto this...As expected, for me this is a learning process, which is part of the fun.
Old 06-24-13, 08:08 PM
Catnap 

Originally Posted by phillyrider
Again thanks for the info...on the brakes, I did not understand why the back brake hole would face down (rather than across). The 2nd pic above shows this.
A quick search on LAM brakes via e-bay shows this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lam-Dural-de...item257cbe2d3c

A quick search on Deprat has a nice cottered crank:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DUPRAT-CHAIN...torefresh=true

Very cool....I am going to start with the Duprat crank...I imagine that the bottom bracket is going to be difficult to size right.
With 68mm - any suggestions on spindle? links/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again.

as your search shows, the downward-facing brake hole is a common feature on French bikes of the 30's-50's. It makes mounting fenders a bit easier because the fenders can be directly attached the brake bridge.

you are going to have a tough time with the spindle length... i'm not sure what advice to give there, in my case i had a lot of spare cottered spindles and mixed and matched until i found the right size. you'll also need a French-threaded set of BB cups for a cottered spindle. AND... note that there are several different sizes of cotter pins. not totally sure how to find out which is the right one, so you might need to get whatever you can find and then file it down a little to fit.

here's the article on my 1940's mercier that I restored recently, similar to your bike: https://djcatnap.com/1950s-mercier-650b-randonneur/

Old 06-24-13, 08:29 PM
phillyrider
peddling fool

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Awesome...the article and pics really help...There is much to take in. I had also wondered about the braze-on for the chain-guard/purpose of the bottom hole.
The above pic shows that it is where the tension spring goes. The seller warned me about spindles should I choose to go cottered...It just seems the right way to go...

Thanks again - most helpful.
Old 06-25-13, 05:50 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by Catnap
as your search shows, the downward-facing brake hole is a common feature on French bikes of the 30's-50's. It makes mounting fenders a bit easier because the fenders can be directly attached the brake bridge.

you are going to have a tough time with the spindle length... i'm not sure what advice to give there, in my case i had a lot of spare cottered spindles and mixed and matched until i found the right size. you'll also need a French-threaded set of BB cups for a cottered spindle. AND... note that there are several different sizes of cotter pins. not totally sure how to find out which is the right one, so you might need to get whatever you can find and then file it down a little to fit.

here's the article on my 1940's mercier that I restored recently, similar to your bike: https://djcatnap.com/1950s-mercier-650b-randonneur/

That's a very nice bicycle. I have always loved the use of the bullet type streamliner lamp mounted on the front fender top.
Old 06-25-13, 06:24 AM
Catnap 

Thanks, Sir Mike! the one part i haven't gotten around to restoring are the lights. i need to check the bulbs and the wiring and get them working again.
Old 06-25-13, 07:25 AM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
Cool looking project - I'm envious. One question: is there tube damage (bend) at the head lugs? It sort of looks possible from the photograph ... but that could just be a product of the photo also.
Old 06-25-13, 09:02 AM
phillyrider
peddling fool

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, there is some bend there. the 3rd picture shows it.
Because of the age of the frame - the seller description was that "the frame is straight by period standards".

I did pick up on it - but it is also a reason why I want to see how it rides/handles.
If it were a more modern frame, I would stay clear - but I took a chance given it's age. I could be wrong...
Old 06-26-13, 11:04 AM
phillyrider
peddling fool

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Although I may not like what I hear - I looked more closely and there is definitely a bend to the top tube.
It is not sitting well with me.

It would be helpful to get some opinions on this - worth an attempt to build?
I am on the fence if it would handle poorly. I would probably need to take it to Blinkys - which could make it a money pit...
What do you all think?
Old 07-15-13, 06:33 AM
gbi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
Really like the RD guard on catnaps bike.
Old 07-15-13, 08:19 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
The old tubes are pretty tough. Since there are no crimps, I'd have the frame aligned and straightened, checke for cracks then I'd build it and ride it. There are several shops in the area that would do it. PM me if you have trouble finding one.
Old 07-15-13, 09:17 AM
Catnap 

Originally Posted by gbi
Really like the RD guard on catnaps bike.
thanks! they are hard to find, but pop up occasionally on French eBay.
Old 07-15-13, 09:37 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
There is a set of brakes for your frame on ebay now Buy it now is $55 with shipping! https://www.ebay.com/itm/c1940s-50s-B...item1e7c0eabf1
Old 07-22-13, 06:34 PM
phillyrider
peddling fool

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just a quick update. Thanks so much for the above link. I have purchased the brakes in the above pic as well as a number of other period (range) source parts from the same seller, who has some french items that he can bundle with Int'l shipping. It should hopefully work out ok. I may luck out in that a french BB that he has along with the cottered spindle, as used from the donor with a triple, will size up nicely. The one spindle that I have is a smidge too short.

Thanks for the lead/links Velognome - much appreciated!

I did get the duprat cottered crank as shown in the pic, so this is coming together...

As far as the frame, I would like to get the rear spacing (110mm) to work with some tubular wheelsets that I have. I read about the sheldon brown 2x4 method, but since the frame likely needs to be straightened - it is probably worth the effort/expense to have a shop do it right/coldset. Going from 110mm to 120/130mm may be too much - I don't know since I have not taken this on before.

I appreciate all the feedback/suggestions. Philly area bike shops suggestions are welcome for the frame straightening.
Thanks again...
Old 07-22-13, 07:23 PM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm inspired!

But, I'm going to sit on the sidelines and just live vicariously through your French build

Can't wait to see pictures.
Old 07-22-13, 07:38 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by phillyrider
Just a quick update. Thanks so much for the above link. I have purchased the brakes in the above pic as well as a number of other period (range) source parts from the same seller, who has some french items that he can bundle with Int'l shipping. It should hopefully work out ok. I may luck out in that a french BB that he has along with the cottered spindle, as used from the donor with a triple, will size up nicely. The one spindle that I have is a smidge too short.

Thanks for the lead/links Velognome - much appreciated!

I did get the duprat cottered crank as shown in the pic, so this is coming together...

As far as the frame, I would like to get the rear spacing (110mm) to work with some tubular wheelsets that I have. I read about the sheldon brown 2x4 method, but since the frame likely needs to be straightened - it is probably worth the effort/expense to have a shop do it right/coldset. Going from 110mm to 120/130mm may be too much - I don't know since I have not taken this on before.

I appreciate all the feedback/suggestions. Philly area bike shops suggestions are welcome for the frame straightening.
Thanks again...
Bilenky Cycle Works or Via Bikes would be my suggestions. Looking forward to the finished build.
Old 07-22-13, 08:13 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
That Mercier is tres cool!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-23-13, 07:48 AM
phillyrider
peddling fool

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks...I think I may consider Via...I had my pogliaghi repaired at Bilenky - they did a great job. It just took a while to get into their cue.
Old 07-23-13, 09:09 PM
dck

Bikes: '62 Peugeot UO8, '63 Schwinn Superior, ;72 Peugeot PX-10, '74 Motobecane LeChampion, '74 Peugeot UO18

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old French Frame

I recognize this frame as one I sold earlier this year. The buyer then offered it for sale on the CR google group. Maybe that's how you found it. I acquired the frame from a seller in San Francisco who bought it in France. Nonetheless, I have a picture of the frame as I received it.

It had CLB caliper brakes and a cyclo 3 speed derailleur, a cracked headset, stem, seatpost and saddle, bottom bracket, but no crankset. The rear brake was attached to the frame with a special clip that used the vertical hole in the brake bridge. As you can see the seatpost was shaped like a 7 with the saddle clamped to the horizontal part of the post. The saddle leather was torn and disintegrated when I tried to soften it. It also had a front light bracket mounted to the stem. When I sold the frame, I also sold most of the parts that were on the frame. I might have a few things laying around. I'll look.

I initially intended to restore it, but lost interest. I'm glad to see you are going to finish the job. I'd love to see pictures of the finished product.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.