Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Which handlebars should I get?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-16, 03:14 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts

So I want to swap my handlebars, I think.

Here is my bike.

Right now I have the VO Left Bank bars. They look great. Work well in the standard position. But sometimes I'd like more leverage for a hill. And the only alternate hand position is the flat part in the front. And it feels a bit strange since the bars have quite a bit of rise. Steering is hard from that vantage point.

I still want upright bars, and it seems like some of the North Road like ones have a potentially good alternate hand position at the curve or the bar. And maybe the front.

Since those pics were taken I have swapped my shifter and brake levers. I dropped my bars about 1 cm and they are even with my seat now.

Wants:
  • Long enough grip area for my brakes, shifter and grips (15 cm I think is enough)
  • Good sweep back, at least 15CM
  • Less rise than my current bars, if the front is the best alternate spot to hold
  • Not too wide, like the width of my current bars
  • One more hand position, don't need to access all controls from position #2
My shoulder width is like 40cm (self-measured), so I like narrower bars. I don't like the wider upright bars at all, I do not find them comfy after 4 miles or so.

So right now I am thinking Nitto Dove, Nitto All Around, Nitto Albatross, Soma Oxford. These all have the right look, and I think reasonable grip area.

I like that the Doves are narrower (52cm). Don't like that I can't swap to the bar ends if they are ever back in stock anywhere.

The Albatross' seem pretty wide at 55cm, 5cm wider than my current bars. Worried about that being too wide and less maneuverable in tight spots. I like that they seem to go more straight back.

Soma Oxford seems like the Albatross, but the grip area looks a little shorter, and the bars flare more.

The Nitto All Arounders are nice and narrow at 49CM, but I can't seem to find a good angle to figure out the rise.

Are there bars I am missing? Should I try something else? What do you think?
Old 08-16-16, 03:19 PM
willydstyle

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts
How about Velo Orange Porteurs? They have a mild rise and a sharp backwards sweep and are fairly narrow.
Old 08-16-16, 03:32 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The bar with the most hand position options is Jones H-bar.
I'm happy with my Ahearne Map bar and their single hand position (same sweep as the Jones H)
Old 08-16-16, 03:40 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Maybe MAP/Ahearnes would work?

Ahearne+Map Handlebar ? Ahearne Cycles
Old 08-16-16, 04:45 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I like the porteurs. Wondering if they have enough space! I wonder if they are in stock nearby so I play around with them a bit. Looks like they are about 2 cm shorter in the grip than my current bars, but the fronts look like a nice position.

The Jones H bar has lots of positions but would be hard to manuever in around my streets! Is probably great if you have wider shoulders than I!

The MAP/Ahearne are shaped nicely but pretty wide! Maybe I should look at the SOMA Sparrows. They have some narrower options. Any one use those?

*Update
I finally see some info on grip area. Looks like it is 15.5cm in the narrower ones. And the shap puts the alternate hand position at the top closer than my Left Banks. Will see if I can find these in a store. This looks good if my hands fit in the front bends!

Last edited by jade408; 08-16-16 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-16-16, 05:27 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 281 Posts
Originally Posted by bulldog1935
The bar with the most hand position options is Jones H-bar.
Or maybe the Velo Orange Crazy Bar.
Old 08-16-16, 05:34 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
it would require shortening your stem reach and extending the height, but have you thought about moustache bars? (Or Rivendell's Albastache)
https://www.bikeforums.net/18979776-post3.html