Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

What the hay (hey??) my Etrex fell off

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-17, 03:24 PM
Carusoswi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

. . . not once, but three times during my return trip on a short but hilly ride this afternoon. I've owned this Etrex (given to me by my wife) since 2002. It had not a scratch on it. Rode for six hours yesterday, not a problem. Took a short two hour trip to my local LBS, and, on the way back, while descending a steep incline at about 30 MPH, I hear some sort of sharp clack. Expected to hear a hiss as one of my tires lost air, but, no hiss ensued. At the bottom of the hill, a motorist flags me down to tell me that I had lost something.

I'm checking my my back pack (actually, a camera case containing a 35 mm SLR with lens) Everything is zipped up, can't figure out what I could have lost, but not taking the motorists cautionary information lightly. I trek back up the hill, and about half way, I go to check my speed and realize that my Etrex is missing.

Found it, retrieved it. It's still working, the screen is not scratched, but, there are some serious scratches on the case surrounding the screen.

Re-attach it, double check to make certain it is secure, only to have it fall off yet again as I start back down the hill.

Again, I have to double back to retrieve it.

On a slow ascent, it managed to fall off yet again. What the !@#$!!

Made it home with Etrex attached. Still don't understand what made it fall off. It has never fallen off before.

My hat is off to Garmin for designing it in such a manner that contact with the pavement at such high speed did not destroy it, and also did not cause damage to the screen. I can live with the damage to the surrounding area of the case. Would be depressed to have to use it if the screen were all mucked up.

Anyone else have this problem?

Just curious.

Caruso
Old 07-20-17, 10:16 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Had me worried I thot your were talking a about your--------------------
Old 07-20-17, 01:05 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
Moved to ELG from Fifty+
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.