Old 10-30-18, 11:22 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SART Northern Section

So tell me about it! Is it just as easy to navigate as the Southern section (Greenriver to HB)?

I've been on SART a few times heading to HB. Now that it's cooler I'm thinking about giving the other section a try. But viewing it on google maps satellite, it looks more like a desert trail. Is water as easy to get out there? enough parks to refill my 2 water bottles, and how far will it get me?

I can make Yorba Park to HB with one bottle if I have to but I believe in staying hydrated so I have 2 water bottles and I'm not afraid to use them!

Just some SART North Newb questions, thanks!
Old 11-09-18, 08:36 PM
Lilmill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWhoCycling
So tell me about it! Is it just as easy to navigate as the Southern section (Greenriver to HB)?

I've been on SART a few times heading to HB. Now that it's cooler I'm thinking about giving the other section a try. But viewing it on google maps satellite, it looks more like a desert trail. Is water as easy to get out there? enough parks to refill my 2 water bottles, and how far will it get me?

I can make Yorba Park to HB with one bottle if I have to but I believe in staying hydrated so I have 2 water bottles and I'm not afraid to use them!

Just some SART North Newb questions, thanks!
2 bottles is fine. I always ride with 2 and rarely finish the 2nd. And there are some liquor stores you can always fill top off. A couple months ago o realized I didn’t rinse to soap out good enough and had to stop and buy a big bottle of water good thing I also have a 20 in seat pouch
Old 11-09-18, 10:21 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lilmill
good thing I also have a 20 in seat pouch
A $20 ?! ...I'm gonna start riding with you!

Cool, thanks for the info. Not knowing anything about the area, this info helped. Had no idea there were liquor stores. Always come in handy in a pinch.
Old 11-11-18, 08:12 PM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
There really is no trail East of Green River until you get into Norco. There is a 4 mile stretch in my City, Eastvale, that runs along the river and through a few parks. It’s quite nice, but it only runs from Archibald Ave to Hamner Ave. That portion of the trail is my quick daily ride, and I can leave my house, do 3 laps and have 25 miles.

i did ride the Riverside portion once from Norco heading east, but I found it very desolate and a bit sketchy in a few areas with lots of homeless and some meth heads. We started at the regional park in Norco. I won’t be going back there to ride.
Old 11-11-18, 09:46 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
As mentioned, there's nothing between Green River and Hidden Valley. It's up to you to traverse Corona/Norco in whatever manner pleases you. I've gone to taking 6th Street straight through the heart of Corona, all the way to Van Buren, then that to the trail, skipping the section between Hidden Valley/Arlington and Van Buren, because it also means I don't have to go through Norco. I don't believe the roadways in Norco were ever planned-- they just showed up, and no one has maintained them since. If you do decide to go through Norco, be sure to watch out for broken beer bottles and loose chickens, which you are likely to encounter in equal numbers.

When you get to Van Buren, you have to take the detour up Jurupa to enter the trail at Martha McLean/ Anza Narrows anyway-- they tore out a chunk of the trail back in April, and were supposed to have it replaced by August. Well, toward the end of summer they slapped a new sticker on the closure sign saying that it would reopen October 31st. That came and went, and the pavement is still missing. From Anza Narrows, it's a scant 3 miles or so to Bonaminio Park/ Mt. Robidoux, then about 10 miles to the current northern terminus at Waterman Avenue. In between, there's pretty much nothing. County line goes nowhere close, Mt. Vernon and La Cadena dump you out on the wrong side of the tracks. The closest thing to the La Cadena entrance is a strip club. No liquor stores, unless you're a local and know where you are and where to go. You could get a water fill up at Anza Narrows or Bonaminio, but be fully aware that the water is horrible. That is legitimately last-ditch water. You drink it only if you absolutely have to. At the Waterman end, you could hit a gas station about a quarter mile from trail's end, or head through the industrial park to some semblance of civilization. Costco's got an outdoor food court.

As to the trail itself, I love the top 10 miles between Waterman an Bonaminio. I'm out there at least once a week, about 8.5 miles from my house to the trailhead. It's clean, well-maintained, sparsely populated, and aside from the mile to either side of the Dog Park, generally devoid of people on foot. You can go as fast as you'd like. But it doesn't go anywhere. When the detoured portion is finally fixed, it's 18 miles between a street and another street. There's really nothing at either end. Now if you're using it as a highway to get into the IE and ride something actually scenic/worthwhile, sure. Not a terrible idea. Just be aware that once you get about 3 miles north of the trailhead the valley really starts to taper-- so it starts going uphill, and it never stops. If you like hills, we've got those in (almost) every direction.

Probably impacts no one other than myself, but the trail from Waterman to Anza Narrows is closed November 13-16 for maintenance. And when they say it, they mean it. Last time it was closed for a week, they cut huge chunks out of the pavement, then refilled those cut out chunks with poorly compacted asphalt, effectively making it worse in many places. Shout out to those guys.
Old 11-13-18, 07:10 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by csrpenfab
There really is no trail East of Green River until you get into Norco. There is a 4 mile stretch in my City, Eastvale, that runs along the river and through a few parks. It’s quite nice, but it only runs from Archibald Ave to Hamner Ave. That portion of the trail is my quick daily ride, and I can leave my house, do 3 laps and have 25 miles.

i did ride the Riverside portion once from Norco heading east, but I found it very desolate and a bit sketchy in a few areas with lots of homeless and some meth heads. We started at the regional park in Norco. I won’t be going back there to ride.

I looked on google maps and the section I am interested in starts there in Norco heading toward Riverside. It looks like a pretty isolated place and if I remember correctly, I may have heard cars there have been broken in and robbed. But not sure, hence the topic.

I might be able to ride my bike there with only a few miles but the big rigs seem to be an obstacle in this area. Not sure I want to battle big rigs on the narrow shoulders and crazy drivers on Hamner.
Old 11-13-18, 07:15 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
As mentioned, there's nothing between Green River and Hidden Valley. It's up to you to traverse Corona/Norco in whatever manner pleases you. I've gone to taking 6th Street straight through the heart of Corona, all the way to Van Buren, then that to the trail, skipping the section between Hidden Valley/Arlington and Van Buren, because it also means I don't have to go through Norco. I don't believe the roadways in Norco were ever planned-- they just showed up, and no one has maintained them since. If you do decide to go through Norco, be sure to watch out for broken beer bottles and loose chickens, which you are likely to encounter in equal numbers.

When you get to Van Buren, you have to take the detour up Jurupa to enter the trail at Martha McLean/ Anza Narrows anyway-- they tore out a chunk of the trail back in April, and were supposed to have it replaced by August. Well, toward the end of summer they slapped a new sticker on the closure sign saying that it would reopen October 31st. That came and went, and the pavement is still missing. From Anza Narrows, it's a scant 3 miles or so to Bonaminio Park/ Mt. Robidoux, then about 10 miles to the current northern terminus at Waterman Avenue. In between, there's pretty much nothing. County line goes nowhere close, Mt. Vernon and La Cadena dump you out on the wrong side of the tracks. The closest thing to the La Cadena entrance is a strip club. No liquor stores, unless you're a local and know where you are and where to go. You could get a water fill up at Anza Narrows or Bonaminio, but be fully aware that the water is horrible. That is legitimately last-ditch water. You drink it only if you absolutely have to. At the Waterman end, you could hit a gas station about a quarter mile from trail's end, or head through the industrial park to some semblance of civilization. Costco's got an outdoor food court.

As to the trail itself, I love the top 10 miles between Waterman an Bonaminio. I'm out there at least once a week, about 8.5 miles from my house to the trailhead. It's clean, well-maintained, sparsely populated, and aside from the mile to either side of the Dog Park, generally devoid of people on foot. You can go as fast as you'd like. But it doesn't go anywhere. When the detoured portion is finally fixed, it's 18 miles between a street and another street. There's really nothing at either end. Now if you're using it as a highway to get into the IE and ride something actually scenic/worthwhile, sure. Not a terrible idea. Just be aware that once you get about 3 miles north of the trailhead the valley really starts to taper-- so it starts going uphill, and it never stops. If you like hills, we've got those in (almost) every direction.

Probably impacts no one other than myself, but the trail from Waterman to Anza Narrows is closed November 13-16 for maintenance. And when they say it, they mean it. Last time it was closed for a week, they cut huge chunks out of the pavement, then refilled those cut out chunks with poorly compacted asphalt, effectively making it worse in many places. Shout out to those guys.

Thanks! I'll look into the areas you mention. I'm pretty much just looking for a 40 mile out and back along a trail other than the OC section of SART. Hills are good! Haven't been out to the Forest Falls, Oak Glen, Onyx Summit in a while.
Old 11-16-18, 09:35 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts

Is the sewage plant area repaved yet? I haven't been on it in awhile.
Old 11-16-18, 10:08 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by furiousferret
Is the sewage plant area repaved yet? I haven't been on it in awhile.
Repaved, open for about 8-9 months, torn out again in April, and as of last week still torn out. The whole north section was closed this week, I’ll probably check to see if it’s done next week. The sign said October 31, not that that means anything at all.

This does seem to be the time of year when they just randomly start repaving everything (except the streets that really need it) so I might even be prompted to lean toward optimism... nah. The section between Bonaminio and Anza Narrows was closed for 2 full years.
Old 11-16-18, 02:58 PM
furiousferret

Ugh.

On the plus side, Sunset is freshly paved!
Old 11-16-18, 03:14 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

More amazingly, they repaved Lugonia/38 all the way from Bryant to Alabama. The road that may have needed it more than any other.
Old 11-27-18, 01:44 PM
shopco43

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I have an alternate route through Corona. Coming off Palisades turn left on Serfas Club and go underneath the 91 where Serfas Club turns into Auto Center Drive. Go to the second light and turn right on Pomona Road. Stay on Pomona and it will lead you past Lincoln to Violet, a “T” intersection; left on Violet to Railroad. Railroad to a left on Sheridan (first left after 2nd light). Sheridan to first right; Blaine. Blaine to Joy, a “T” and right to E. Grand, under the 91 to 3rd. Left on 3rd to Arroya, right to Quarry, left on Rimpau and left on 6th.

This route flows a lot better than it tells. It also flows much better west-bound, which is the way I ride it. In fact, if you are east-bound it may not be worth the trouble; just take 6th.

I am recently back on the bike after a decade, and that is significant for two reasons; one is that I went from 60 to 70, and the other is that my old philosophy of “watch the cars, lights never killed anyone” no longer works. There are too many cars (the place is infested with them). Between general decrepitude, rusty bike handling and a general lack of courtesy, running down 6th Street and trying to get left to the frontage road (to Serfas) I managed to repeatedly scare the **** out of myself. My new philosophy is “stay the hell away from cars”. This route helps greatly with that. I also prefer it to the more generally accepted “all the way Railroad” route.

Last edited by shopco43; 11-28-18 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-27-18, 02:20 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

I'm on the roads early, and trips to Huntington are usually on Saturdays/Sundays, when traffic is lighter-- I'm coming all the way from the northern end, so the simplest by far is SART to Anza Narrows, Jurupa to Van Buren, Van Buren to Magnolia, and stay on that until it turns into 6th all the way through Corona until the Frontage Road. Then Serfas Club to Palisades and bam, I'm at Green River. I just want the fastest route between Hidden Valley and Green River. Completely bypassing Norco is just a bonus.
Old 03-11-19, 11:18 PM
STCycle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

DrIsotope, hey thanks for the great info. I'm going to try going from Yorba Linda's SART to Waterman per your route. Do you know if they've fixed the pavement for the sections you mentioned? In another thread you mentioned Mt. Rubidoux area overcrowded with homeless. Would Market St. be a good bypass entry point to continue to Waterman?
Old 03-12-19, 08:04 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Yes, they finally put the pavement back in by the Van Buren water treatment facility, just a short 6 months late. And while the homeless population grows by the day, it's nothing like what we saw in OC a few years ago. They impede the trail no more than people out walking on it between Bonaminio Park and the Mission Blvd. Dog Park-- so really only a mile of the trail is impacted. Once you're past the 60, it's smooth sailing.

Now on day near rains when I want to bypass the mud and mini-lakes that have formed in Riverside, from the Van Buren end I will take Jurupa to Market, Market up through Downtown to around 3rd St or so, and cut over to Main, then Main all the way up to the County Line, then hop back on the trail. If you ever need to stop to eat on a ride through Riverside, the Food Lab on Market is brilliant. A stop at Dia de los Puercos makes any day better.
Old 03-14-19, 03:41 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Yes, they finally put the pavement back in by the Van Buren water treatment facility, just a short 6 months late. And while the homeless population grows by the day, it's nothing like what we saw in OC a few years ago. They impede the trail no more than people out walking on it between Bonaminio Park and the Mission Blvd. Dog Park-- so really only a mile of the trail is impacted. Once you're past the 60, it's smooth sailing.

Now on day near rains when I want to bypass the mud and mini-lakes that have formed in Riverside, from the Van Buren end I will take Jurupa to Market, Market up through Downtown to around 3rd St or so, and cut over to Main, then Main all the way up to the County Line, then hop back on the trail. If you ever need to stop to eat on a ride through Riverside, the Food Lab on Market is brilliant. A stop at Dia de los Puercos makes any day better.
this is the kind of timely local intel that every forum needs more of. snarf snarf nom nom.
Old 08-16-19, 05:18 PM
Sidewalk
I ride all the bikes

Bikes: Super6 Evo, Enduro, F-Si, and a few others.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I can't remember the specific dates in September, but the section from Main to La Caden's will be closed for a few weeks. I'll follow up shortly with the dates.

This is my commute. I'm not normally the "follow me on Strava" type, but a few people who are locals I think only follow me to see my commute reports to know when it is/isn't safe to ride.

I'm in Norco now to say hello to my horse, then heading back on SART end to end back home.
Old 08-16-19, 05:51 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

The north end is going to be closed for maintenance from September 2nd through the 20th, if the signs are to be believed.

In other, more astonishing news, they’re actually working on the Phase III section from Waterman to California Street. It’s seven years late, but there are men and tractors and dirt being moved around.

I still can’t hardly believe it.
Old 08-18-19, 02:10 PM
furiousferret

The north end is going to be closed for maintenance from September 2nd through the 20th, if the signs are to be believed.

In other, more astonishing news, they’re actually working on the Phase III section from Waterman to California Street. It’s seven years late, but there are men and tractors and dirt being moved around.

I still can’t hardly believe it.
Finally. From segment data it looks like I've logged a tad over 18,000 miles on that trail and at least once a year I harass someone at SB Parks or IEBA about it.

Also, I'm not sure why they insist on closing a bike trail during the summer....of course this is the I.E. so its not like outdoor life shuts down in October. Maybe that's a good thing. I'll bet the project goes into October though.

Last edited by furiousferret; 08-18-19 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-18-19, 02:34 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

As it took ‘em a year to replace the section right by the water treatment plant at Van Buren— and that’s like a quarter mile long— I’ll be ecstatic if the new section is done by mid-2020. It’s level crossings, PET-style through SBDO and Redlands, so I’m assuming push-to-cross signals and the whole shebang. It’s gonna be awhile.
Old 08-21-19, 11:00 AM
Sidewalk
I ride all the bikes

Bikes: Super6 Evo, Enduro, F-Si, and a few others.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm not getting my hopes up on it being done...ever. SART is a low priority for everyone except those of us who use it;i cyclists, homeless commuters, and off roaders.

I'm looking to move in to Riverside close to my work, so hopefully I won't need to rely on it for commuting anymore. Then I can focus more on pleasure riding and less on commute riding.
Old 08-21-19, 10:48 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

So I decided to do some Googling... and we can go back to the idea of "never going to be done." All of that work that's going on along the 10 corridor to pull up the last remnants of the Pacific Electric... is to put in a new rail line called Arrow, to connect downtown San Bernardino to downtown Redlands. This seems like a ridiculous idea to me, but okay. Sure.

A big chunk of it's 9-mile route sits atop where the Orange Blossom Trail was supposed to continue, so I guess that's the end of that as well. The sole upside to this is it means they're going to refurbish the old Redlands Santa Fe Depot, which is a truly beautiful building. Built in 1909, and hasn't seen passenger service since 1938.
Old 08-25-19, 10:17 PM
furiousferret

IMO the Orange Blossom was a bit silly. Redlands has some of the best bike lanes in the area, and that trail had stops at streets every 5 minutes.
Old 08-25-19, 11:03 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Well, the PET is the same setup, following the exact same rail line. The PET is nicer and better maintained than the SART for sure. Also helps that it goes from somewhere to somewhere, as opposed to what we have with the current (and seemingly forever) northern SART, which is an 18 mile stretch between nowhere and nowhere.

They claim they're gonna have part of the connecting section in Corona done within two years. I'm not holding my breath. The section between Green River and Anaheim Canyon is still in pieces.
Old 08-26-19, 07:12 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
The section between Green River and Anaheim Canyon is still in pieces.[/QUOTE]

My wife & I ride from Ball Rd. up to Green River frequently through that portion & the sections that are done are really nice. There is a lot of grading work being done in the riverbed itself but moving at a snails pace. It would be interesting to see an artist's rendering of the finished project with a summary of all the work done & what exactly was accomplished. Going back east to west we just ride along La Palma its wide enough & not much traffic on weekend mornings.
Also FYI the section of Santa Ana Canyon Rd between Gypsum & Weir Canyon Rds is re-paved & really nice.
West

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.