Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

You early-morning riding freaks - how do you do it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

You early-morning riding freaks - how do you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-11, 08:49 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I go to bed between 9-10 PM and try to be asleep by 10:30 but usually more like 11. I get up between 5:45 and 6:00.

So I sleep at most 7 hours a day. That's 'enough' I guess. I feel it when I get into the 6 hours or less range, especially if it's 2 or more days in a row.

But like I posted yesterday, it doesn't seem to be the sleep that really matters. It's how well I ate and hydrated the day before, and I eat a gel and drink water as soon as I get up.
Old 07-27-11, 01:02 PM
ahson

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
I go to bed between 9-10 PM and try to be asleep by 10:30 but usually more like 11. I get up between 5:45 and 6:00.

So I sleep at most 7 hours a day. That's 'enough' I guess. I feel it when I get into the 6 hours or less range, especially if it's 2 or more days in a row.

But like I posted yesterday, it doesn't seem to be the sleep that really matters. It's how well I ate and hydrated the day before, and I eat a gel and drink water as soon as I get up.
Good to know and that explains why I can never get up so early in the morning as I always sleep 'late' 12:30-1am.
Old 07-27-11, 01:07 PM
Roustabout

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had to be at work by 7AM during my working years before I retired, so I have always been an early get to bed guy and early riser. Most days I get up by 5:30 or 6AM and off by 7AM at the latest to ride an hour or two. I would ride later, but here in East Texas I am mainly trying to beat the horrendous heat later in the day or in the evening. Would love to ride at 6 or 7PM, but not in 95 degree weather.
Old 07-27-11, 03:18 PM
EvenKeel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have an issue with the a.m. riding except for the fact that I can miss out on morning sugar from time to time (my girl prefers mornings to nightime).
Old 07-27-11, 03:43 PM
Ultraslide

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Supercourse, 99 Specialized Stumpjumer, 08 LeMond Tourmalet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In bed by 10 pm. Up in the morning at 5:30, riding by 6. Home by 7:15. Shower, feed the kid, pack lunches and I'm on the bike by 7:45 headed to work. I have a woosie 15 minute bike commute. I plan my band's gigs on Friday night and power through to 2 am with COFFEE! Then rest on Saturday, meaning yard work, children, and maybe an hour ride later in the day, if I'm not racing. Team ride is Sunday morning at 7 am!

If you would have told me this would happen 5 years ago ... I would have laughed in your face (as I blew a cloud of smoke at you). Kids make you CRAZY!
Old 07-27-11, 03:59 PM
FactVord

Bikes: 2011 Scott S30, 2012 Tarmac SL3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was out last night riding after work (around 7:30pm). Shortly after an hour, it became so pitch black, I couldn't see more than five yards in front of me (a minor downpour with overcast did not help things either). After this scary experience, I will make it a point to *try* and wake up before 5am to get in a good ride before heading to work.
Old 07-27-11, 04:38 PM
dissident

Bikes: Felt Z85

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've gotten to the point after working rotating shifts that I can sleep any time a day. Keep in mind it helps to be single and be able to do whatever you want, whenever you want.. last week I got home from work at 6PM and slept 6:45 to 11:30 and again from 1-3:30AM and got up for the day... today I slept from 8AM-Noon when I got home at 6AM... and I'll go to bed whenever I feel tired, probably around 11PM to set myself up for day shift on Friday... doesn't matter much to me anymore, though I was a morning person before this, as I never liked to party and drink.

Sleeping is a lot psychological.. people think they must sleep between such and such time so they get stressed out if they aren't sleeping and blow their whole night. Relax, let go of "I can't" and end up sleeping whenever.... and riding whenever. I like mornings and evenings because of reduced traffic.

Last edited by dissident; 07-27-11 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-27-11, 06:50 PM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roustabout
I had to be at work by 7AM during my working years before I retired, so I have always been an early get to bed guy and early riser. Most days I get up by 5:30 or 6AM and off by 7AM at the latest to ride an hour or two. I would ride later, but here in East Texas I am mainly trying to beat the horrendous heat later in the day or in the evening. Would love to ride at 6 or 7PM, but not in 95 degree weather.
Yep! I had to be at work at 6am for 28 years so I would ride at 3pm into a hell of a onshore headwind to the beach. Now that I'm retired it is so nice at 6:30/6:45am riding. Way better.
Old 07-27-11, 08:11 PM
travelerman

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I have worked mostly early morning shifts (5:30 AM)for 15 years now, and have always loved the pre-dawn hours when it is getting light out, but the sun hasn't yet risen. So I suppose I can classify myself as a "morning person", although I do like to ease into it for about an hour before going to work or doing anything physical.

Also, early in the AM provides for a more comfortable ride on the local streets - people start heading into work around 7:15 in the adjacent neighborhoods, and by 8AM, riding on most of the roads going to and from where I live can be a little nerve-wracking - at least on the weekdays.

Having noted all of that, my legs prefer riding in the afternoon or evening, after having been better stretched by being up and around for a while.
Old 07-27-11, 09:41 PM
rushbikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little piece of me dies every time I wake up for a pre-8am ride...
Old 07-27-11, 09:46 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL

I noticed that I can function on much less sleep when I am in shape. 6-7 hours is plenty if I'm riding a lot and eating right. 9-10 hours isn't enough when I'm sitting around and pigging out.
Old 07-27-11, 10:56 PM
Mansram01

Bikes: '17 Trek Emonda, '16 Yeti ASR5, '14 Cdale F29 '08 Orbea Orca.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As mentioned before: What I ate the night before and the morning followed by amount of sleep always makes a difference. I tend to eat and sleep late so that doesn't help so I don't ride early very often. Maybe that will change but that takes discipline...
Old 07-27-11, 11:25 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by mchacon01
As mentioned before: What I ate the night before and the morning followed by amount of sleep always makes a difference. I tend to eat and sleep late so that doesn't help so I don't ride early very often. Maybe that will change but that takes discipline...
Banning soda and junk snacks from the grocery list helped me a lot.
Old 07-28-11, 01:00 AM
vikz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only wake up at 5:00 am if I'm going hunting , i like riding at night during the summer say 6:30 to 8:00pm, winter time well haven't tried riding in the snow so maybe this winter..