Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano chain rivets not reusable?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-11, 09:05 AM
nicktc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I replaced the chain on my 105 10x3 speed road bike with a 5600 Shimano chain. I used the special pin that came with the chain to attach it, but the chain was too short, so I legthened it by adding an extra piece of chain. For this I popped out and reused one of the pins.

Is this a bad idea on this type of chain? If so, what should I do in cases like this? Buy unused rivets?

Thanks,

Nick
Old 07-05-11, 09:39 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by nicktc
I replaced the chain on my 105 10x3 speed road bike with a 5600 Shimano chain. I used the special pin that came with the chain to attach it, but the chain was too short, so I legthened it by adding an extra piece of chain. For this I popped out and reused one of the pins.

Is this a bad idea on this type of chain? If so, what should I do in cases like this? Buy unused rivets?
Yes, it is a bad idea. The regular pins and plates are so hardened that they often chip if you try to reuse them, leading to an unreliable joint. Get some more of the special connecting pins instead.

With that said, I ahve reused Shimano regular pins too, but as I recall it took about 4 tries before I got a joint that held up.
Old 07-05-11, 09:43 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nick, I keep a couple of extra replacement pins with me. The pins are an interferance fit and reused pin isn't going to have as tight a hold. If you didn't mark where you reused the pin at least check lateral play from time to time. It may never be an issue, but be prepared with a correct replacement pin.

Brad
Old 07-05-11, 10:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the hole in the outer side plate is stretched to push the riveted
[end bigger than the rest of the pin, because chain forming machine bangs on the end.]

You could get away with more with older chains. the pins were proud, sat up
higher than the surface of the chain.
but as the marketing, engineering, went from 5 and 6 speeds to 7,8,and more
the chains had to become thinner, the pins just barely above the surface of the side plate.
and get shoved back and forth with the expectation that the gear change be virtually instantaneous.

You have the possibility to do more with Rohloff's chain tool , it's Expensive ,
but it has a mech that tries to rivet the chain a bit more, Impressing into the end of the pin,
once chain's pin is re installed..

to the question.. best to start with a long new chain, and like lumber

measure twice, cut once.
Old 07-05-11, 10:10 AM
dchsueh

Bikes: 2010 Globe Live 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...railleur-bikes
about 1/4 way down the page there is a discussion on Shimano chains and their specific replacement pins

the 5600 chain isn't specifically covered on the park tool page, but a quick google search resulted in this: https://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830682230.pdf
suggesting the "D" pin may work for you

(disclaimer: I have no experience breaking/attaching a chain)

--

edit: sorry, I realize the above doesn't answer the OP question; the PDF says the special rivet is necessary for strength, the park tool page has a photo showing the peening sheared off demonstrating that reusing the pin is a bad idea

Last edited by dchsueh; 07-05-11 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-05-11, 10:31 AM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Get a new chain, and some KMC 10-speed master links. Or just get a KMC or SRAM chain - they come with master links.

Then get the chain length correct before you break it.
Old 07-05-11, 10:52 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
As noted above, Shimano chain pins are not intened for reuse and haven't been since the 8-speed days. Shimano sells specific replacement pins in 8, 9 and 10-speed versions and these should ALWAYS be used to rejoing a chain. Or get one of the aftermarket master links from KMC, Wippermann or SRAM and join the chain with it.

Reusing a regular pin is an open invitation to a broken chain.
Old 07-05-11, 11:48 AM
nicktc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info and links all. A new chain it is. A lot's changed since my last road bike (a 1984 Guerciotti/Sun Tour).

Nick