Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where do you store your collection... indoor space or garage space?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12, 02:00 PM
ZeRinger
Panasonic Nut

Bikes: 2000 Pinarello Paris | Panasonics: '88 DX-5000 / '88 DX-4000 / '88 MC-5500 (sold) / '86 Team America / '86 Team Japan (2) / '85 Team / '84 DX-4000 (sold) / '91 PR-6000 / '89 PICS Team Custom / '83 AR-6000 Aero / '89 DX-1000 / '89 Team MC Custom (sold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts

Since I know many of you have collections much larger than mine, I'm curious what you're doing in terms of storage for your collections. Back when I was single I lived in a large downtown loft type environment and had plenty of indoor storage space (and work space) just to the left of my refrigerator. Ahem.

Now I'm married and in a suburban townhome that has decent space, there just isn't enough indoor space for a collection of bicycles. The result is that my collection is now spread out over several states and of course while my wife loves me, she's not about to allow multiple bikes lurking around here. As it is now I'm lucky enough to have my Pinarello hanging on the wall in my office/loft.

I have a storage garage rented for an older car and have given some thought to storing a few of the lesser bikes on the wall in there but I just can't bring myself to put them in a non-climate controlled environment. I've always been OCD about keeping my bicycles uber clean and indoors. Yes, I need help. heh

Anyhow, I thought I'd solicit the minds of those more maniacal than myself to see what you guys and gals do. Indoor only or does a garage or shed work for you? (Keep in mind, I'm in Minneapolis so we get some pretty significant climate shifts here)

Cheers,

Darin
Old 03-26-12, 02:22 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Garage or basement or livingroom?
Yes.

Currently two bikes in the garage, three in the basement, one plus one under development in the livingroom.
Old 03-26-12, 02:29 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Let me put it this way: I think there are two rooms with no bikes.
Old 03-26-12, 02:36 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I've realized I have too many bikes poorly stored. I'm trying to think of a way to convince my wife I need my son's room (who has gone away to college) as my bike room.
Old 03-26-12, 02:37 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I take it the townhome does not have a basement? I rent a place and have about half the basement for storage. Plenty of room for a dozen bikes, my workstand and a tower of crap.
Old 03-26-12, 02:38 PM
ZeRinger
Panasonic Nut

Bikes: 2000 Pinarello Paris | Panasonics: '88 DX-5000 / '88 DX-4000 / '88 MC-5500 (sold) / '86 Team America / '86 Team Japan (2) / '85 Team / '84 DX-4000 (sold) / '91 PR-6000 / '89 PICS Team Custom / '83 AR-6000 Aero / '89 DX-1000 / '89 Team MC Custom (sold

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Let me put it this way: I think there are two rooms with no bikes.
LMAO. Single?
Old 03-26-12, 02:39 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Unless you have a newer construction heated garage, its really not the best space to store them in.
Older garages do not have "vapor barriers" built into the slab stucture, so moisture actually seeps in from the gorund and upwards as water vapor, and if you make the mistake of covering your bikes with plastic or any other impermeable material, you end up trapping the moisture and causing rust/corrosion on your bike Even without the cover a bike in an old garage will still rust if kept in there long enough, just more slowly. Newer garages with vapor barriers in their slabs would be much better, but you can still get big enough temperature swings that might cause condensation on the bike if you live in very cold climes and the garage is not heated and/or insulated. Having a dripping wet salty car parked near to your bikes during the winter and rainy seasons will not help too. A better storage space to avoid corrosion is the attic as it is generally a much dryer space than garages.....but the super dry heat that occurs in the attic during summers can kill all the rubber and plastic parts on the bike in a short time. Best yet is to keep your bikes within the conditioned living space of your house. I always say that your bike is most comfortable where you are most comfortable.
Basemets can work out great as long as it's not leaky and damp.

Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 03-26-12 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-26-12, 02:40 PM
The MAX

Bikes: Surly Long haul Trucker with front and rack Nice Racks, 1984 Colnago Sport, 1983 Raleigh Condor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbakl
I've realized I have too many bikes poorly stored. I'm trying to think of a way to convince my wife I need my son's room (who has gone away to college) as my bike room.
Hahaha good luck with that. I was moved out for 3 or 4 years before I finally had to tell my parents "I'm not coming home!" and to let my sister have my old (bigger) room.

I keep a lot of my project stuff in the shed, along with my crappy beater bikes. But my touring bike is in my office, and my road bike is in my bedroom. I had up to three bikes in the apartment, + one I was working on. When the fiance moves in with me, this will have to change somehow
Old 03-26-12, 02:42 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by ZeRinger
LMAO. Single?
Nope. The two currently on display in the living room both belong to mrs non-fixie.
Old 03-26-12, 02:47 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by The MAX
Hahaha good luck with that. I was moved out for 3 or 4 years before I finally had to tell my parents "I'm not coming home!" and to let my sister have my old (bigger) room.
He don't have no sibling.
Old 03-26-12, 03:00 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
I do not have a collection per se, but I do have a rather large basement that I have taken over, much to the dismay of my SO. It comes with a bathroom, a beer fridge and an Onkyo reciever. The purging process has been successful so far this year with only one complete bike and one frame coming in and 4 complete bikes and 7 frames going out.

Old 03-26-12, 03:05 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
My dad, when I was a teen, let me use an extra bedroom as an "upstairs" bicycle workshop. He was fairly "progressive" back then.

I've always kept my bikes indoors when not in use.
Old 03-26-12, 03:10 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts
you can refer to the Bike Cave thread

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ave.?highlight=
Old 03-26-12, 03:12 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
I live in a Brooklyn apartment. It's a "two bedroom," where both the bedrooms are around the size of some large walk in closets. I use the 2nd bedroom as an office / shop, with all my tools hanging on the walls, shelves everywhere full of junk, a small desk covered in bike parts, a wall rack with 2 bikes on it, and a bike on the floor in there, and 2 bikes in the living room. One of the latter is my girlfriend's bike. She is not super happy about all the bikes, and she'd like to be able to use the "office" as an actual office (so would I, actually). But for now, it is working--most of the clutter stays in there and doesn't spill out into the living room. I couldn't really add another bike without getting rid of one, though. I do not keep anything outdoors, no way.

And the trade off is I have to share the extra room with the cat--which means his litter box.
Old 03-26-12, 03:13 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
I think it took my mom 2 weeks to turn my room into an office when I moved out!
Old 03-26-12, 05:13 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts
This is my livingroom. The 'good' ones are in the next room.

This is actually just after I rebuilt the rack my living looks a bit nicer than it does here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0550.jpg (101.8 KB, 402 views)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-26-12, 05:17 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
I have a 40' shipping container, two barns and we are going to be building a shop building that will be roughly 40'x40' with 15' sidewalls. None of my storage areas are conditioned. The shipping container does have an office/shop on one end that has a heater and a/c but it is only turned on when I am working in there. I live in the Coastal Plain of NC.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-26-12, 05:25 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Yes.

Currently two bikes in the garage, three in the basement, one plus one under development in the livingroom.
That, but in larger numbers! 15 in the garage, 4 in the basement, two under development in the livingroom, and 2 in the rear bedroom.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 03-26-12, 05:25 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
I own a gigantic total of three C&V bikes! 2 complete riders and one being built up....but soon I will also have two wheelsets for each of them (four tubular and two clincher). As it is, there seems to be too much bike stuff inside my house already with the three bikes and I find myself sometimes having to step over stuff just to get to them! I just can't believe how many bikes you guys can keep inside your own dwellings without making it look like a hoarder's house....

Chombi
Old 03-27-12, 03:05 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by Chombi
I just can't believe how many bikes you guys can keep inside your own dwellings without making it look like a hoarder's house....

Chombi
Ha! What do you think it looks like?
Old 01-08-13, 10:05 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Old thread but just finished setting up the spare room in our new house. I'm so glad to move *most* of my bikes out of the garage, have easy access to them, and they get to live in climate contolled comfort. Not pictured is my fixed gear, and my single speed Ross MTB. I've got a couple wall racks & hooks in the garage for the bikes I'm currently riding and current projects in the works since that's where my workshop will be. Really happy to have all the space in the garage! It's so much easier to tinker without tripping over all the other bikes.

Old 01-08-13, 11:05 AM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Indoors... always. But I only have 1 (err, 2) bikes. My 40-yr old Raleigh has never lived outdoors or in a garage. Always in the living room or basement.
Old 01-08-13, 11:24 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Indoors. At the moment, here is where things are sitting throughout the house:
  • Two in the foyer
  • One on the trainer in the living room
  • Three or four tandems reside in the dining room
  • The rest of the collection resides in the basement which is humidity controlled, but not temperature controlled
Old 01-08-13, 11:39 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by ilikebikes
That, but in larger numbers! 15 in the garage, 4 in the basement, two under development in the livingroom, and 2 in the rear bedroom.
Heh heh--got distracted by work & other windows and forgot what the title of this thread was; when I came back, for a sec imagined you guys were talking about where you store your dead hookers.

Only motorcycles (though I'd have one of them in the living room if I could) and mountainbikes go in my garage.
The rest are in my living room, and two in the bedroom.

Old 01-08-13, 11:40 AM
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training

Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Mine are all indoors in this useless recess in the dining room/kitchen area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.