Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Dr. Good

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 05:20 PM
iheartbacon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dr. Good

I really like the 2013 Dr. Good from Kona. It would be a nice bike to ride just for the sake of riding. Don't get me wrong, I love my Giant, but there are times when I don't need a bike with grocery baskets, hitch, lights, etc. I see this as a bike to ride to church, or the park to read a book, or maybe just cruise down the bike path to that great little coffee shop in Pullman. Is this a good bike for that? For north Idaho this is pretty flat, but I do wonder if I need 27 gears and 7 won't cut it. What do you think? Is it a winning design? The money is a stretch for me and I'll need to chop it up into 5 or 6 payments over the winter. I'm not one of those people that can drop $900 on a bike like it's nothing. This would definitely qualify as a major purchase and chew up a lot of my fun budget for the next year, so I want to make sure it's a good value and a well spec'd bike. I still plan on turning the Nishiki into a fixie and on paper anyway I can pay for both. The bike shop is offering 20% off 2013 bikes pre-ordered. That's why I'm thinking of doing it now and not later.

https://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=dr_good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dr_good.jpg (64.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-13-12, 09:32 PM
SuperDave

Bikes: Canyon Roadlite AL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I'll ask only this: What is it about your Giant - obviously spec'd as an all-purpose ride - that disqualifies it for the rides you mention? Do you need fenders and a front basket for these proposed rides, or would those be redundant features which reduce the appropriateness of the purchase? Mind you, the Kona is a very nice bike and I'm not one to dissuade anyone from N+1, but do you really need another?

Do the Nishiki instead, with a more generous budget if necessary. I honestly think it'd be the better mount for what you want to do.

As an aside, you may have the single finest username I've ever seen in 15 years of forum participation, and I'm stealing your sig.
Old 09-14-12, 12:40 AM
iheartbacon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Giant feels like a pick up truck or a station wagon and I want something that feels like a small and sporty convertible. Best way I can put it. Second best, riding the Giant feels like errands and chores, riding my road bike feels like a workout, I want something that feels fun.

Thanks for the compliment. I love bacon but sadly I can't have any. Doctors orders. That bastard. Steal away friend.
Old 09-14-12, 10:40 AM
charbucks

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ooh, nice looking bike! And it comes in 46! Stop, I don't need a new bike...

Can you tell us a bit more about your Giant? The Kona looks a bit like a truck/station wagon as well... I'm guessing it's not particularly light. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but if I was looking for a sports car that can run errands, I would probably be looking at cyclocross bikes or something similar.
Old 09-14-12, 01:11 PM
iheartbacon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I want something that has a upright and relaxed riding position. Continuing on with the car analogy think 1st generation Mazda Miata. Kona, Giant, and Salsa are the brands available at the LBS. The rack is what drew me to this bike, it looks cool. If the bike was blue or red I would have bought it already. The color is what gives me pause, but it's growing on me. Are the components good for the money?
Attached Images
Giant 3.jpg (56.9 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by iheartbacon; 09-14-12 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-14-12, 06:53 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Have you looked at some of the aluminum flat-bar road bikes? You might try one out. They would be much quicker and fun than your hybrid, but you probably wouldn't be either bolt-upright or completely stretched out like with road handlebars.
Old 09-14-12, 10:42 PM
Newspaperguy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Giant you have looks like a good rig. If it's in good mechanical condition, then it would do everything you want from the Kona and more.

The only part of the Giant which would get a little annoying would be the grocery baskets. If they unhook easily, then that would not be a problem. As a short-distance commuter, a runabout in town and a bike for a trip to church, the park or the coffee shop, the Giant fits the bill.

The Kona is not a bike I'd personally want, or at least not for $900. I prefer versatile bikes which I can ride almost every day and for multiple purposes. The Kona would be fine for a short commute to and from work, a grocery run and similar rides, but it's not the bike I'd want for touring, for a pleasure ride or for anything other than short rides. I realize we're all different and we all have different preferences, but the Kona is not the bike for me.

For what you've described, I'd look at a performance hybrid or a commuter. Those bikes will have the sporty feel you want and they'll also lend themselves for some utility riding.
Old 09-14-12, 11:12 PM
iheartbacon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The grocery baskets are awesome when they're full. They really hold a lot and are exceptionally sturdy. The rest of the time they're annoying, my heel hits them, but I wouldn't trade them for panniers. When I had cars I had a truck for work, a fast car, a fuel miser for long trips, and a small fun car for general running around. The Giant is my truck, my road bike is my fast car, I don't need a touring bike, and the last is the void I need to fill. Maybe I should look at fat tire cruisers. My LBS also sells Felt.
Old 09-15-12, 12:02 AM
iheartbacon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like this too.
https://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2013...ries/YORK.aspx

I don't know why the picture came out all trippy.
Attached Images
YORK_working.jpg (49.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-15-12, 12:40 AM
Newspaperguy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you unhook the grocery baskets when you're not making a grocery run?
Old 09-15-12, 01:01 AM
iheartbacon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No, they're part of the rack. It's all one piece back there. The baskets are welded to the rack, the fenders share the rack mount, and the hitch is fitted to the rack and fender mounts.
Old 09-15-12, 01:56 AM
Newspaperguy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In that case, I can understand why you want an additional bike. The comparison to a truck makes sense.

Have a look at this and tell me what you think. https://www.devinci.com/bikes/browse_19#19_59_191
Old 09-15-12, 03:25 AM
iheartbacon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's a cool bike but it's not a brand my LBS carries and the closest dealer is in Canada. If one of the bikes I listed had a full chain guard that would seal the deal. I'd like to be able to wear khaki's without getting grease on them.