Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

tell me I can do this!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

tell me I can do this!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 02:44 PM
SAHabanera

Bikes: Electra Townie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tell me I can do this!

So I'm 62, retired,bored, remembered college era 35+ years ago when I rode a bicycle and was in the best shape of my life, not to mention the enjoyment of it... I thought I'd rather go out on a bicycle than sitting in front of the TV set watching political blather. So I took the plunge (after discussion and advice from friends/relatives), bought a new 3-speed Electra Townie from a good bike shop. Now after my first ride I am in pain, bruised, and back is giving me sharp twinges. But this is what I wanted to do! I don't have any health problems other than being 25 lbs overweight and can't go up a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing. If I faithfully get out in the neighborhood every day, will I get better? My heart is in the right place, how long will it take for my body to catch up? Will it? Anybody else started out at 62 and got up to speed OK?
Old 09-13-12, 03:09 PM
Esteban58
West Coast Weenie

Bikes: 2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can do this! I was in about the same space in April this year - I started walking first,
for about 2 months, but when that got old I dusted off the bike and its been great. Take
it slow at first, give yourself some time to build strength and cardio endurance. Try to avoid
the heat if you can (as I recall, September in San Antonio is still lots of days of 100+ and high humidity).
Read through these forums - lots of similar stories, many (most?) are success stories.
Old 09-13-12, 03:16 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
You can do it.

I started road riding at 65 and got in 11,200 miles the first year.

But you need a road bike. The forward lean on a road bike is most beneficial for old backs.

My friend Roy rode 750 miles for his 75th Birthday.

Map:

Slideshow:

https://s256.photobucket.com/albums/h...view=slideshow

Old 09-13-12, 03:56 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Keep the Electra. You may want to adjust the seat height (rough rule of thumb is your heal should be just touching the pedal with your leg fully extended when sitting on the seat). A lot of people put the seat too low and it leads to all kinds of issues. You may want to move the handlebars around some, too. While 10 Wheels advocates for road bikes, I find that as I get older, I feel more comfortable in an upright position, so don't give up on the Electra just yet.

Some of your pain may be muscle aches from using long-dormant muscles. It should get easier if you ride regularly, at least a few times a week. Don't do long rides, just do short ones around the neighborhood.

Good luck to you.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 09-13-12, 04:01 PM
Mort Canard

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes you can do it.

First of all, don't over-do it. Find the length of ride you can do right now and take time to recover between rides. Ride often but don't push your limit every day.

Secondly, learn some good stretches to do after the ride. Here is a link to a website that that has some good cycling specific stretches. https://www.ridewithoutpost.com/Stretching.htm You will also want to find some core strengthening exercises. Cycling does not generally strengthen the torso and you need to work on that also.

Thirdly, You probably have a sore bottom and that will take seat time to improve. You are putting your weight on the soft tissue around your sits bones. This can also be done by sneaking up on it a little at a time.
Old 09-13-12, 04:06 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Yes. I was not 62, but I was 58, and have been cycling for about 14-15 years, approaching 73 soon.

There is some good advice above. I also swim, walk (except right now because of a physical problem with my ankle) and do a lot of resistance exercises and stretching.

We need to keep all the muscles working and in good shape.

Mostly, have fun. If the bike fits properly, the pain will go away. You are using muscles you didn't even know you had, and they have been unused for many years. Give them a chance.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-13-12 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 04:10 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
like they say, go slow and steady.
Before you know it you'll want a more efficient bike.
and it will cost more than your Electra
and take you to a higher level of fitness.
....repeat...

I'm 62. started riding as an adult 25+ years ago. starting new has always included a bit of discomfort.
Old 09-13-12, 05:55 PM
Closed Office

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just aim to enjoy bicycling. Or to run errands that you have to do anyway. It doesn't take long to start gaining fitness.

The motto I like is 'No pain - good.'
Old 09-13-12, 06:02 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Some of your pain may be muscle aches from using long-dormant muscles. It should get easier if you ride regularly, at least a few times a week. Don't do long rides, just do short ones around the neighborhood.

Good luck to you.
Originally Posted by Mort Canard
Yes you can do it.

First of all, don't over-do it. Find the length of ride you can do right now and take time to recover between rides. Ride often but don't push your limit every day.
These two right here. You are stressing muscles that are used to being used and the more they get OVERworked the more they'll hurt. Star slow and short and gradually increase the speed and distance.
Old 09-13-12, 06:04 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It takes a while to toughen your butt and build up the cycling muscles. Keep at it; you'll be used to it in a few weeks or a month.

Padded bike shorts and gloves help.
Old 09-13-12, 06:51 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Yes, you can do it. You sure have gotten lots of good advice above. I'll just add a small story from thirty years ago when I was actually in great shape. My wife and I took a few months off from riding, I don't remember why. Anyway, our local double century was coming up and we realized we needed to get a few miles in before we rode it. We headed out from our house on Rd. 99 (1 mile grid in that county). When we reached Rd. 95 we decided we had had enough for that day.

Three months earlier we could easily ride 135 miles to the beach through the coast hills and return the next day. Two months later we easily rode our local double century in less than 10 hours. That day, with no recent miles in the saddle, we felt battered and bruised after four miles.

Starting, or restarting, involves a lot of discomfort. Don't rush it, but don't quit just because it seems hard. There are wonderful benefits down the road, you just have to ride down the road to find them.
Old 09-13-12, 07:31 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Sure you can do it! A guy in my club took up cycling when he retired from teaching, at age 68 I think. He's 72 now and leaving some of the younger riders in the dust.
Old 09-13-12, 08:52 PM
SuperDave

Bikes: Canyon Roadlite AL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I read this earlier today, and decided that as a guy almost a decade younger than you, and one who had almost never *not* ridden throughout my life, I was unqualified to offer an opinion. Even if I had, it would have been the same as the far-more-qualified members who have posted so far. But, there is one point which hasn't been sufficiently-emphasized so far, and I'd like to belabor it:

The bike you purchased looks, for all purposes, to be a high-quality and durable unit. But what it isn't is a bike which will sustain you for longer-distance efforts, or higher speeds. Your Townie is something you ride at casual speeds, around the neighborhood or for a quick run to the store. It'll be hard on your *everything* for any ride exceeding 5-10 miles, and very difficult to sustain speeds of >15mph. For any distance. It's too upright, and IMO the advantages they tout about the riding position only make it worse for longer distances. You should *absolutely* keep it if you're comfortable on it - the rides I mentioned it's ideal for are among the most enjoyable, especially after you're in better shape because they represent just riding for the enjoyment of riding rather than riding to improve your conditioning - but if you invest the time and effort to the extent that a 10-mile ride is not a physical challenge, and you want more, you will outgrow this bike.

I, personally, find the lean angle of a "true" road bike to be harder on my back than the flatbar roadbike I ride. This may be informed by the fact that I've ridden this design almost exclusively - aside a couple months on a roadbike which I then sold - for twenty years. Moreover, I rarely exceed 25 miles on one ride. What works for me probably isn't what works for you. So, take the optimistic view - while you're stagnant in a chair, recovering from your last ride, you can use the time to research the varying types and how each might integrate into your goals for riding.
Old 09-13-12, 09:41 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
It took you 35 years to be in the shape you are in now.
Overweight and trouble getting up a flight off stairs?
Yup, you are not as young or in shape as you used to be.
Yup you can ride a bike again, but as stated above, it will take a while.
Start off slow, short distance.
Go around the block. Next day do it again; then a few more says of the same.
Next week twice around the same block . . . etc.
Within 3 months you'll be doing 30 miles in one session and wondering what all the fuss is about.
Yes, you can do it.
Heck I'm only 80 years old and riding 100 to 125 miles per week; and my wife at age 77 is riding 75 to 100 miles a week.
But we are not out of shape. Me 135 lbs; she 104 lbs.
Oh yes, we've had problems: cancer several times for her, once for him.
Are we in perfect shape? Hell no.
But our doctor just told us we're the healthiest old folks in his decades of practice.
So, no excuses; you CAN do this!!!
Pedal on!

Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Attached Images
File Type: gif
tandem smiley..gif (9.9 KB, 167 views)
Old 09-13-12, 10:42 PM
ChargerDawg

Bikes: Madone 5.9, Sequoia, World Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The electra townie is not really a good choice for any distance above 5, maybe 10 miles at most. The pedals are too far forward for efficient pedaling. I cringe at the thought of riding it, as my back is not in great shape either.

It is fine to start out with, but if you are serious about cycling, a hybrid or road bike is a better selection.

25 pounds is not too much, I wish I was only 25 pounds over my target weight. Stick with it and you will get better, the muscles tone, your lungs adjust and you get better. Soon find out that you can go distances which at one time seemed unimaginable.
Old 09-13-12, 11:29 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
You can do it! My situation is a bit diff from yours (I'm 52 and not really overweight) but I was off the bike for 2 years until Oct '11 and before that 2 years didn't ride much at all. I started riding my mountain bike again and then road. I took it slow and it was painful at first (especially the sit bones) but now I'm back racing mtn bikes and just did a century on my road bike. I've also dropped 6 pounds. Oh yeah, there's a 68 y/o that i race with and his course times are better that 2/3 of the 30 y/o group.
Old 09-14-12, 12:22 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
When you start/Restart cycling it will not matter what bike you have providing you ride it. Course it is going to hurt somewhere- but you haven't mentioned the major pain that newcomers have of Butt Pain so you are not up to riding far enough yet.

Get 3 or 4 good rides in a week and it won't matter if they are 2 miles or 10 miles- just get riding. Other thing to remember is that set a goal of increasing milage or time on the bike gradually till the body stops aching.

Then it will be time to look at your riding and decide if you have the right bike for you.

I agree with 10 wheels that the longer stretched out ride position of a road bike does help aching backs but stay on the townie for a good while till you NEED a better faster bike for the century ride you will be entering next year.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-14-12, 03:56 AM
Jamesw2

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes you can do it . I restarted at 58 years old and , now at 60, just did my second 100 mile ride . I was 90 lbs overweight ( down to 70 lbs). High body fat and could not ride 3 miles when i started. I don't ride fast 10 mph average.

I have gotten a lot of advice from bike forums. Read thousands of posts and written about my experiences as well.
I ride a 30 speed road bike with a triple crank and have a low gear of 30/30. I also have a touring bike and a hybrid

If something hurts make changes to your seat height and for/aft position. Change your handlebar height . . I did not pay for a professional fit. I listened to by body tell me things needed changed by what hurt. I did have a stress test done and my body fat measured (BMI?)
Clothing I have gone from street clothes to bibs to shorts to padded underwear and cycling shorts.
Old 09-14-12, 05:50 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Another returner here, from health problems and riding again is the best thing I ever did. Keep at the riding, as said repeatedly, don't over do things, but get the steady mileage in so your body adjusts to the activity. Electra's are good bikes for the intended purpose. If you want very easy, casual rides for short distances, keep it and enjoy the riding. If you want to increase your mileage and speed then a straight bar or drop bar road bike will probably be necessary.

I have multiple back and abdominal surgeries so I am particular about position and bike fitting to keep away pain. I am not supposed to even sit in a recliner because of the fusions and prosthetics in my spine so I want a drop bar that is fitted very well so my back is in a more comfortable position for me. A straight bar hybrid gives to much road shock transfer into my spinal column. The slight curve but supported placement relieves my pain. A recumbent aggravates this, for me, you may want one if they work for you, only you can tell. A good quality seat is worth its weight in gold, take time to find what works for you.

The aches and pains will gradually go away as your body adjusts and weight loss if your diet is well managed will come too. Find yourself a good LBS (local bike store) that will work with you and not try to sell you something you don't want or need. Good luck, and welcome to 50+ and BF, hope you will stick around and get to know us.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-14-12, 05:55 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Not only will you get better but you will feel better every day of your life. And less time in front of the propaganda machine we call TV is going to be to your benefit.
Old 09-14-12, 07:23 AM
Jawihan

Bikes: too many to list mostly 3 speeds and road bikes

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You most certainly can do it. Welcome to the forum. I started riding two years ago at age 67. I hadn't been on a bicycle since I was about 14. At first, I couldn't ride a mile without discomfort and tiring out, but i kept at it and gradually increased my distance and fitness and now I can do metric centuries +. I started with a garage sale cruiser bike, then quickly changed to a road bike (also garage sale-- I rebuilt it). I enjoy riding so much and have attained much better fitness because of it. The advice given to you by the other posters in this thread is very valuable. Keep at it and keep us informed of your progress.
James
Old 09-14-12, 07:39 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the path you have started down.
I'm not going to tell you which style or type of bike you need, because I don't know what your physiology is. Some folks will try to tell you that you MUST ride a road bike, others will say no no no, you must ride upright with a wide cushy saddle. There are good reasons why each style exists, you will need to figure out over time which best suits you.
Or, you may find you need more than one style of bike for different types and duration of rides. This, of course is why there is N+1.
At any rate, whatever you ride, ride lots, tell us about it, and show us pictures.
Old 09-14-12, 09:54 AM
SAHabanera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am so grateful for the encouragement. I know the Electra is a "neighborhood" bike, but I think my goal is just to get so proficient I can actually think about graduating to a better road bike.

I'm especially awed by you guys who started older than me. I thought (being 62), well if I can just experience this free-flying feeling for like 10 more years, but, dang, you've raised the possibility of even more years than that.

Also thanks for the link to exercises & stretching. OK, I'm off!
Old 09-14-12, 02:12 PM
SAHabanera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10 wheels, that map says it all. If I could ride something that far, I'd feel like a new person. I'd be more prone to head down to Port Aransas though. Galveston is beautiful too.
Old 09-14-12, 02:15 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by SAHabanera
10 wheels, that map says it all. If I could ride something that far, I'd feel like a new person. I'd be more prone to head down to Port Aransas though. Galveston is beautiful too.
It was a good tour.

We also did this one. Roy was 73...me 67... Summer 2009
4200 miles with some 20 year old riders.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ide-Ends-in-LA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.