Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Recommend me a light set and helmet for commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-12, 01:07 AM
SinX7

Bikes: Pure Fix Romeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for a new light set and helmet for my daily commute. Sometimes I commute as late as 12pm. So prefer a bright light that won't break the bank. Same as the helmet. But prefer something very durable.

Thank you!
Old 09-18-12, 01:36 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Just about any CREE XML T6 emitter up front will work and a Cygolight Hotshot in the rear. As far as the helmet, look for ventilation and a clip on visor.
Old 09-18-12, 02:10 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
helmet, fit is king ... even moreso than a bike frame ... i ended up getting it professionally fitted (100€) but it's cheap insurance for your noggin.

i ended up going with an ABUS S-Force Peak MTB helmet because it fit my oblong head the best

https://www.wheelies.co.uk/p22321/Abu...TB-Helmet.aspx
Old 09-18-12, 07:48 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not sure if this is part of your question, but I much prefer a light on my helmet. Much more control of where I want to see - I can "flash" a car approaching from the side to get their attention, and I can lower my head/light when approaching other cyclists on the MUP so as not to blind them. Also, works great when you have to work on the bike in the dark. Mine has a flasher/red in the rear as well.
Old 09-20-12, 06:33 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
Not sure if this is part of your question, but I much prefer a light on my helmet. Much more control of where I want to see - I can "flash" a car approaching from the side to get their attention, and I can lower my head/light when approaching other cyclists on the MUP so as not to blind them. Also, works great when you have to work on the bike in the dark. Mine has a flasher/red in the rear as well.
Same here, I also run one facing forward on the handlebars that is usually flashing. This gives me a back-up should one of them have its batteries go dead en route. I also like that when I turn my head I still have a light for visibility facing forward.

In addition to the helmet lights (Planet Blaze .5W helmet mount light & Planet Bike rear helmet flasher) and the handlebar one (1.7w flash-light in a bicycle flashlight holder), I run a rearward facing Mars 4.0

That's what I recommend.

In addition, I run a 1 watt Fenderbot on my rear fender and am experimenting with a fairly powerful (3w) flashlight in a mid-fork mount to better illuminate pot holes. At times I commute regularly both ways in full dark.

Last edited by Medic Zero; 09-20-12 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-20-12, 09:07 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
You can get the Cree XM-L U2 headlight from Keygos.com. It comes with both the handlebar mount and a head mount that can be attached to a helmet with the supplied gear. I know because I tried it yesterday on the helmet. I found it way too bright for a helmet light as you'll blind anybody you face. Maybe I'll try it someday outside, but it really isn't necessary in NYC. I feel conspicuous enough with it mounted on the bars.

For the taillight I just use a PB SuperFlash.
Old 09-20-12, 09:37 PM
SuperDave

Bikes: Canyon Roadlite AL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Just about any CREE XML T6 emitter up front will work and a Cygolight Hotshot in the rear. As far as the helmet, look for ventilation and a clip on visor.
Truth. My Cygolight is simply in another dimension from anything I've ever seen or used before. Remember the first time you ever saw HID headlights? Like that.
Old 09-20-12, 09:39 PM
Closed Office

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a nice CCM hard shell helmet. It is heavy but it looks like it will stop the first couple of bullets that hit it. The type with the thin plastic shell always annoyed me. It would crack at the first bump into anything. This one is about 4 years old ans still looks good.