Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best Panniers for the $$$

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-05, 01:28 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have an extra $250 burning a hole in my pocket, and was considering upgrading my rear pannier bags with something a bit more roomy as well as better designed.

Is Ortlieb really the only way to go, or are there other manufacturers I should be exploring?
Old 07-17-05, 01:48 PM
Magictofu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many people on this forum, including myself, like the Arkel products:Arkel
Old 07-17-05, 02:00 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yikes!
Those are pricier than the Ortliebs!

Has anyone had any experience with Lone Peak

Originally Posted by Magictofu
Many people on this forum, including myself, like the Arkel products:Arkel
Old 07-18-05, 02:26 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I second the Arkel. Their design and workmanship are second to none. I've used an Arkel Bug all winter for my daily commute (we have a very nasty winter here), incuding two nasty crashes, and it shows very little sign of wear. Arkel has excellent customer service and gives a lifetime guarentee with their products. You get what you pay for. As the old saying goes; I'm too poor to buy cheap goods. Buy an Arkel and have it for years, buy a cheap pannier and watch it fall apart after a year of serious use.
Old 07-18-05, 04:04 AM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Ziemas, which bag do you pair with the Bug for when you need 2 (or more)? Do you have there utility bag as well (seems the same size), or do you pair it with another brand?
Old 07-18-05, 05:17 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Camel
Hey Ziemas, which bag do you pair with the Bug for when you need 2 (or more)? Do you have there utility bag as well (seems the same size), or do you pair it with another brand?
I have an ancient Bushwacker pannier that I put an Arkel hook system on. The Bushwacker is falling apart, but it still has some life left in it.
Old 07-18-05, 05:30 AM
cryogenic
Campy or bust :p

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey commuter build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone use the Samurai or know much of anything about it? I read about it on their site and it looks like a really nice pannier. I like the fact that it's completely waterproof and also I think it's just dead sexy for a pannier. They claim 12 to 38 liters of space, which should be more than enough for my daily usage.
Old 07-18-05, 12:20 PM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ziemas
I have an ancient Bushwacker pannier that I put an Arkel hook system on. The Bushwacker is falling apart, but it still has some life left in it.
Cool, thanks. I've been thinking of getting that bug since around when you first posted you got one. Probably will order one soon.
Old 07-18-05, 01:57 PM
bradw
Slow and unsteady

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
Yikes!
[/URL]
Note that the Arkel prices includes shipping.
Old 07-18-05, 02:48 PM
rnagaoka

Bikes: 1984 Raleigh Kodiak Touring, 1992 Scott MTB, 2004 Fuji Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
Yikes!

Has anyone had any experience with Lone Peak
I was also looking for decent, but cheaper priced panniers. I was thinking about the Lone Peaks or Dueters, but ended up with the Axiom Champlains and La Salles. I'm really happy with them so far. Don't let the low price fool you--they are pretty well made.

https://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=BG6628

Machka has used them for an extended period of time and likes them. See this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...axiom+panniers
Old 07-18-05, 05:50 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by rnagaoka
I was also looking for decent, but cheaper priced panniers. I was thinking about the Lone Peaks or Dueters, but ended up with the Axiom Champlains and La Salles. I'm really happy with them so far. Don't let the low price fool you--they are pretty well made.

https://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=BG6628

Machka has used them for an extended period of time and likes them. See this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...axiom+panniers

How about some info on the Lone Peak... all their web page shows is a picture of a pack... what is their "Loc-on suspension system" for instance.
Old 07-18-05, 07:00 PM
jkmartin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"For the money" I don't think much beats this guys panniers made out of the pails cat litter comes in.

https://home.thegrid.net/~lllove/bikes.htm

If you write him he'll send you a lot more pictures and instructions.

I'm pretty happy with my Jandd's though.
Old 07-18-05, 09:28 PM
ks1g
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rnagaoka
My son & I recently used a pair of Champlains (me) and LaSalles (him) for a 5 day C&O Canal tour. The Champlains are HUGE - I was easily able to put my tent (except the poles), sleeping bag, and sleeping pad in one with some room to spare. Quality of construction is decent, much better than Performance, not as good as Arkel. Comes with spare mounting hardware, rain cover, and a shoulder strap to carry the panniers off-bike. They held up well with no issues. I am now using one of my son's LaSalles for commuting. Good value for the money.

The weakest part of the pannier is the attachment system. It uses top hooks, a large bungee on the bottom, and a rotating rubber locking block that locks under the rack bar. Quite surpsingly, it did not fit well on the Axiom racks (Odysee and Journey). You'd think their pannier and rack designers would talk to each other. However, we had no problems with panniers bouncing off during the trip. These racks have 10mm rods. It fits much better on the no-name 8mm rack I have on my fixie.

The attached picture is my bike with the Champlains at the start of the trip. Tent poles are on the rack; the whip is a portable ham radio station I brought with me ('whole nother story - 10 pounds of radio gear and ONE contact to show for it )
Old 07-19-05, 11:57 AM
rnagaoka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
How about some info on the Lone Peak... all their web page shows is a picture of a pack... what is their "Loc-on suspension system" for instance.
genec, here's more info on the Lone Peak Bags:

https://www.thetouringstore.com/LONE%...ERS%20PAGE.htm
Old 07-19-05, 12:10 PM
rnagaoka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ks1g
The weakest part of the pannier is the attachment system. It uses top hooks, a large bungee on the bottom, and a rotating rubber locking block that locks under the rack bar. Quite surpsingly, it did not fit well on the Axiom racks (Odysee and Journey). You'd think their pannier and rack designers would talk to each other. However, we had no problems with panniers bouncing off during the trip. These racks have 10mm rods. It fits much better on the no-name 8mm rack I have on my fixie.
You're right...the rotating block is kind of cheesy, but on my Jandd rack and my wife's Delta rack they work fine. (I kind of like their "under-engineered" solution to the problem )

Although many on this forum dislike the J-hook/bungee setups, I haven't had a problem with them. On the Axioms, the hooks are beefy and bolted on, and the bungees are oversized and infinitely adjustable by just re-knotting the ends. I was able to get a good fit on my wife's super small frame and low height rack.
Old 07-21-05, 12:41 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love my Ortliebs. I have a handlebar bag, large rear panniers, and smaller front panniers. I believe the panniers are the Sport Packer and the Bike Packer models, with exterior mesh pockets. I use stuff sacks on the interior, and you can add waterproof accessory bags to the outside. They are waterproof - camera, wallet, phone stayed dry in the handlebar bag. Gear stays dry in the panniers.

I bought the small set first, for weekend trips to see if I would like them. 2 weeks later I ordered the larger set for the rear. I use the small set for commuting, groceries. The handlebar bag stays on for lazy day rides.

I've mounted them on a Trek 520. I'll get rid of the factory supplied rear rack soon as the large bags do not fit as well as the small. I have an Old Man Mountain low rider front rack.

Love em.
Rifling through has never been a problem. Stuff sack it, plan your packing (like an internal frame backpack), and you will be thankful when your gear stays dry.
Old 07-21-05, 03:19 PM
Mentor58
'Mizer Cats are INSANE

Bikes: C-dale T800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got the Lone Peak ones, and I'm satisfied with them. They aren't in the "Best in Class" category, but are a good buy for the money. They aren't WATERPROOF, but are waterresistant. I would get the rain covers for them. If you go with them, get them from Wayne at thetouringstore.com He will more than take care of you.

Steve W
Who can't wait for class to end today
Old 07-21-05, 03:29 PM
dubwoy

Bikes: none at present

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ortlieb are very fine panniers, but could be considered overkill for a lot of riders, do you ride in rainy conditions alot, also check out vaude, they make a similar pannier to the ortlieb. There is a british company called Carradice they do a pannier called a super(c), ive had some for 1half years and im touring at the moment theyve handled everything admirably, im currently riding AK to argentina and have used them the whole journey with no probs at all they stay where they should, have never once moved off the rack and ive gave them plenty of opp. to do so, dont let in water are massive and can be easily repaired if they rip as they are cotton duck, ortliebs are more tricky to repair