Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

If you tour(ed) on a hybrid please read this

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-05, 09:03 AM
gpljr75
GPL

Bikes: Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm somewhat new to touring and I've been "making do" with my Trek Multitrack 700 hybrid. I'm aware that the pros will tell you that a hybrid is not ideal for touring, but hey, part of the fun for me has been doing it with what I've got. Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing about other people's successes and failures, joys and frustrations of using a hybrid for touring. Would love to see photos of your hybrid packed out. I've attached a photo of mine on a recent three-day trip from Carol Stream, IL to Lake Geneva, WI to Union, IL and back to Carol Stream. (If I could figure out how to have it appear in the message, I would.)

Currently my friend and I are getting ready for a 6 day tour through Michigan's UP. Can't wait.

Thanks,
GPL
Old 08-02-05, 09:23 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've toured with hybrids only, exactly for the same reason. That's what I've got. Latest tour was 600 kms a month ago, with a a kayak trailer. Newish saddle and an unavoidable schedule problem in the first half of the trip where the biggest worries. And despite of those it turned out to be a very nice tour.

For a pic of the bike/trailer combination, see this post. On tour I had two rear panniers and a handlebar bag on the bike (not shown here).

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 08-02-05, 09:49 AM
gpljr75
GPL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Juha,

Great picture! I bet you got some surprised looks towing that kayak!

GPL
Old 08-02-05, 09:56 AM
CSCman

Bikes: Trek 7100, Trek 3700

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am planning a 300 mile 4 day tour on the Katy Trail in Misourri this labor day weekend on a Trek 7100 hybrid. Set up pretty much the same with two rear paniers, handlebar bag and tent and sleeping pad strapped to top of the rack. Going to try and give it a test ride this week on the trail if I get a chance.
Old 08-02-05, 10:01 AM
bradw
Slow and unsteady

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took a standard road touring bike and turned it into something close to a hybrid.

My Trek 520 came with drop handlebars and a road triple crankset. I had the LBS install flat handlebars, bar ends, LX MTB shifters, and an LX MTB triple crank. I wanted the bike to have a more upright position with lower gears. Like a hybrid.

I did about 700 miles of touring in two trips with it last year, along with day trips and some commuting.

Here's a thread (with photos) describing my longest trip:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...katy+trail+548

I've added a front rack to the bike since then. Next trip in September I plan to put Arkel panniers on the front and back to better distribute the load.
Old 08-02-05, 10:05 AM
Alekhine
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I toured on a cheapo Jamis Aragon around 1999 or so, and it did just fine.
Old 08-02-05, 02:52 PM
Fleetwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I both have older Specialized Crossroad hybrids. We have done 10 Michigander 6 day tours and 8 of them have been on our hybrids. I love when people put down hybrids and say they are not good road bikes and not good mountain bikes. What they really are is, dependable, comfortable and versitle. We have them outfitted with racks, fenders and when the need be, we pull a BOB trailer. I also use my to commute to work each day. We have other bikes in our stable, tandem,road, mtn, cruisers but the hybrids are the ones we always fall back on for touring. We usually ride 50-70miles per day and never have a problem
Old 08-02-05, 03:53 PM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fleetwood
.... I love when people put down hybrids and say they are not good road bikes and not good mountain bikes. What they really are is, dependable, comfortable and versitle.... We usually ride 50-70miles per day and never have a problem
YES. I ride my Trek 750 everywhere. 50 to 70 miles a day is my normal weekend ride. On club rides I keep up with the roadies just fine.
I like the versatility. On Sunday I was on suburban streets, paved MUPs, unpaved MUPs, DC city streets, single tracks, rocks and streams, even no-track open field, and all on the same ride. Can't do that on a road bike.

I haven't been out on a multi-day tour with the Trek yet, but I'm thinking of Pittsburg to DC next year after the work on the Savage Tunnel is finished.
Old 08-02-05, 04:15 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gpljr75
I'm somewhat new to touring and I've been "making do" with my Trek Multitrack 700 hybrid. I'm aware that the pros will tell you that a hybrid is not ideal for touring, but hey, part of the fun for me has been doing it with what I've got. Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing about other people's successes and failures, joys and frustrations of using a hybrid for touring. Would love to see photos of your hybrid packed out. I've attached a photo of mine on a recent three-day trip from Carol Stream, IL to Lake Geneva, WI to Union, IL and back to Carol Stream. (If I could figure out how to have it appear in the message, I would.)

Currently my friend and I are getting ready for a 6 day tour through Michigan's UP. Can't wait.

Thanks,
GPL
Most people claim that "hybrids" aren't ideal for touring because the flat bar provides such limited hand positions, and they have a point...

But drop bars aren't THAT much better, and you can turn your hybrid HB into hand position nirvana with some bar ends and a bit of imagination

See here.
Old 08-02-05, 05:20 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Hey do you like that suspension seatpost?
I've got one on my Breezer villager and I keep thinking the seat is loose, then I look at it and think," no, its just the suspension seatpost " .
Old 08-02-05, 05:35 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mine has a lil wiggle
(they all end up having a bit) But it's the stock, and has served me well for the 3 years I've owned the bike, so until it bites the dust, I'll deal with a lil shimmy (I don't even really notice it really. I sit at the very back of the seat, and don't really cause it to move.

The shock absorption is pretty good over mild bumpies - any big ruts should either be avoided or you should have your azz outta the saddle!
Old 08-02-05, 07:59 PM
kevink159

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I toured for 2 weeks on my Novara Safari earlier this year and loved it. About half my miles were on "Rails to Trails" and I had no problems on the gravel surface. I got to my destination a few days early, so I went to the LBS and asked if there were any easy MTB trails around, and they gave me a map of the cross country ski trails. I dropped off the panniers and took a 30 mile loop through the national forrest, came back, got my bags , and took off on the road for 15 miles to set up camp. I had an amazingly good time that day, and it would have been impossable on a "real" touring bike.
Old 08-03-05, 12:43 AM
Lightice

Bikes: Trek 7600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juha
I've toured with hybrids only, exactly for the same reason. That's what I've got. Latest tour was 600 kms a month ago, with a a kayak trailer. Newish saddle and an unavoidable schedule problem in the first half of the trip where the biggest worries. And despite of those it turned out to be a very nice tour.

For a pic of the bike/trailer combination, see this post. On tour I had two rear panniers and a handlebar bag on the bike (not shown here).

--J
Hi Juha,

I think I saw you in July 4th on road number 140 about 5 km north of Mäntsälä heading south. I was heading towards Lahti (with a Trek hybrid, by the way). First I was just wondering what the heck is that vehicle but minutes later I remembered your earlier post about towing kayak trailer with bike. Would I been quicker, we might have had a chat. Good to know that you had a nice tour. Did the headwind bother more than usually when towing a kayak trailer?

Cheers,
Lightice
Old 08-03-05, 01:42 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Dammit, I've been caught!

It must have been me. I was on my second-last day, going to Järvenpää for the night. It would have been nice to have a chat, you would have been the first Forum member I ever meet in real life. But I know, turning around and chasing the other guy down is a big mental barrier if you're riding any sort of distance. And for me doing that would have required some careful planning!

To your question: direct headwinds do not bother that much. The kayak is very sleek after all, at least when compared to me and my bike. Winds from front/side are really the worst. And I learned to ride on bigger roads where hills are less steep. Slow long uphill is ok, but steep short incline is murder. I have to keep my butt on saddle at all times, because if I stand up, the trailer has a habit of rocking back and forth uncontrollably. I need to learn to spin...

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 08-03-05, 03:25 AM
Lightice

Bikes: Trek 7600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK,

next time I see you around with the kayak trailer, I´ll stop. But most likely that will happen earliest next summer, I´m looking forward to it.
Old 08-03-05, 06:35 AM
jharte
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with the limited hand positions of a hybrid. But aren't most touring bikes somewhat limited in hand positions? My MTB has been converted. I use a Scott AT4 Pro bar and some Profile Stubby bar ends (looks like a bull) to give me extra hand positions. This works out great......for me.

That's part of the fun. If it isn't comforable, customize. If it is, RIDE! When it comes to touring, I think most will agree that there really isn't a standard setup.

Good luck on your trip. Have a good time!

JH
Old 08-03-05, 07:39 AM
gpljr75
GPL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikepacker67,

I saw your "antler bar" post yesterday and thought it was very cool. I spent some time last night brainstorming about how I might do something similar. Just before my last trip I added the bar extensions you see above and man, did it make a difference! After I've customized my own bars with more extensions, I'll post a picture.

GPL
Old 08-03-05, 08:44 AM
paul2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually use a touring bike, but I have a Miyata Triplecross hybrid which I used when I toured India. I put drop bars on it to make it more comfortable. There's really not a lot of difference between a touring bike and a hybrid.
Old 08-03-05, 08:59 AM
gpljr75
GPL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum
Hey do you like that suspension seatpost?
I've got one on my Breezer villager and I keep thinking the seat is loose, then I look at it and think," no, its just the suspension seatpost " .
Yes, mine wiggles a bit as well. I almost never notice it, though. As far as ride comfort, since it has been over a decade since I rode a bike without one, I really can't compare. I do wonder whether I lose a certain amount of energy efficiency because my seat post is not rigid. It's probably a barely noticeable loss, and if I get more comfort as a result, I guess it would be a good trade.
Old 08-03-05, 09:47 AM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paul2
I usually use a touring bike, but I have a Miyata Triplecross hybrid which I used when I toured India. I put drop bars on it to make it more comfortable. There's really not a lot of difference between a touring bike and a hybrid.
I think the only major difference between a touring bike and a hybrid is the bars.
Old 08-03-05, 09:48 AM
CSCman

Bikes: Trek 7100, Trek 3700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gpljr75
Yes, mine wiggles a bit as well. I almost never notice it, though. As far as ride comfort, since it has been over a decade since I rode a bike without one, I really can't compare. I do wonder whether I lose a certain amount of energy efficiency because my seat post is not rigid. It's probably a barely noticeable loss, and if I get more comfort as a result, I guess it would be a good trade.
My Trek 7100 seatpost has that little wiggle in it too. And I am not sure that it really gives me any added comfort. I have actually thought about getting a rigid one to replace it. Have considered doing the same with the front fork also. Again I do not notice that much difference for the weight involved. I do think that I would like to take this bike and kinda customize it for touring a bit more.
Old 08-04-05, 11:54 AM
JoeLonghair

Bikes: Thorn Club Thorn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a cross trek, dont know if its another name for a hybrid, some one enlighten me, the bike is a Claude Butler urban 200 and I modified it with more spokes, bought another wheel for the rear, and put the gearing from a 21 to a 24 speed.

I always tour with this from 800 miles climbing alps, to commuting everyday. Would not dream of getting a race bike, I can and do go anywhere with the cross trek, off road, through forest, more freedom, If you put bar ends on the end of the handel and them put that grip rubber on it it becomes very comfortable to ride with it. With a complete pack weighing around 30 kg I can do 70 miles a day without stressing, when I had to I did 100 miles, with a 5 1/2 hour climb and still knocked out 70 miles the following day.

I suppose you go with what is comfortable to you.
Old 08-04-05, 02:21 PM
xilios

Bikes: Gazelle Playa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just finished a 3000 km tour from Holland to Greece on my used Gazelle Playa (oversized aluminum frame).
I only changed the chain, and the breaks, before going over the alps. As for the rest din't have a problem, even with the 35kg load. (food and water included)
And now, I'm looking to buy my wife something simular, great value for the money.

Last edited by xilios; 08-04-05 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-04-05, 11:28 PM
sth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeLonghair
I have a cross trek, dont know if its another name for a hybrid, some one enlighten me, the bike is a Claude Butler urban 200 and I modified it with more spokes, bought another wheel for the rear, and put the gearing from a 21 to a 24 speed.

I always tour with this from 800 miles climbing alps, to commuting everyday. Would not dream of getting a race bike, I can and do go anywhere with the cross trek, off road, through forest, more freedom, If you put bar ends on the end of the handel and them put that grip rubber on it it becomes very comfortable to ride with it. With a complete pack weighing around 30 kg I can do 70 miles a day without stressing, when I had to I did 100 miles, with a 5 1/2 hour climb and still knocked out 70 miles the following day.

I suppose you go with what is comfortable to you.

My gawd, what happen to the bike?? Didja get too close to nuke power plant????
Old 08-05-05, 03:06 AM
JoeLonghair

Bikes: Thorn Club Thorn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My gawd, what happen to the bike?? Didja get too close to nuke power plant????

What do you mean?? do you mean how come my handel bars didnt melt and droop downwards into a semi coil.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.