Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New bike or upgrade old war horse?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-05, 02:32 PM
taylor8

Bikes: Schwinn Super Le Tour, Specialized Rockhopper 05

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Super Le Tour that I have owned since it was new. I love that bike. But it is showing it's age.

So, do I upgrade it to index shifting and 700c rims, if they will fit, or do I get a new bike?

The LBS said they would do a deal on a TREK 520, I don't know if it all that much of a deal about $250 off MSRP.

I figure by the time I put new wheels, new crank and new rear and front derailer I would have about the same ammount of money invested in the Super Le Tour as I would have in a new TREK 520.

What should I do?

Joe
Old 08-16-05, 02:39 PM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
$250 off a new Trek 520 is a killer deal - they usually don't discount them that much. I wouldn't hesitate, although if you plan to loaded tour with the bike I would ask them to swap out the 105 cranket for an LX with lower gearing, something many LBS will do for a nominal fee if done at time of sale.
Old 08-16-05, 02:44 PM
bradw
Slow and unsteady

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes you can get them to swap those items out for no fee at all.

Just ask.
Old 08-16-05, 03:00 PM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you go for the Trek, yoiu can keep the Super LeTour as a narrow-tire roadie. Those are nice bikes, as I recall, and not truly made for touring.