Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Help changing stock '05 trek 520?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-05, 11:56 AM
Cy-Kill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am about to take delivery on a 23 inch '05 Trek 520 that I ordered from my LBS. I've already talked to the bike shop guy and I changed the front cog from the stock 52/42/30 to 26/36/46 removed the stock rack, and replaced the Shimano 520 clipless pedals for my pair of Crank Brothers Chrome Eggbeaters. I'm torn between a Continental Top Touring 2000 tire and the new Continental Contact tire. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to the wheels (it comes with Bontrager Mavericks), or any other changes (stem, handlebars, seatpost) you guys would make on the bike.

Oh I'm planning to take a 1600 mile tour through Europe next summer from amsterdam to milan by way of Germany. Hoping to get by with little to no camping staying mostly in B&B's. Any recommendations for panniers and racks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-28-05, 12:42 PM
bradw
Slow and unsteady

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had no luck with the Bontrager rims on my 520.

I think the stock rims for my '03 model were Bontrager Fairlanes. The rear rim developed cracks around several eyelets after one year of moderate use. The shop replaced that rim with a Maverick supplied by Trek. It has developed cracks around one eyelet after about 2600 miles. I weigh 200, and most times I ride the bike I have a handlebar bag and one pannier on it.

As for tires, I had Conti Top Touring tires that developed cracks in the sidewalls after 1000 miles, and looked pretty bad by 2000. I replaced them with Vittoria Randonneur tires that look good and have only one flat after over 2500 miles.

I'm using Jandd front and rear racks, and Arkel panniers.

Also look for a better saddle. I really hated the stock Bontrager saddle.
Old 08-28-05, 01:51 PM
xilios

Bikes: Gazelle Playa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check these tires out
https://www.schwalbe.com
They have a very good reputation for touring.
cheers
Old 08-28-05, 02:33 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12197 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
The only thing I'd add to the other advice is that I always throw on
some inline brake levers. There are a bunch of good trouring tires, the Shwalbe marathon plus is prob the best. But there are a bunch of really good ones. The COnti Top Touring would be fine if it hasn't sat around in a shop for a few years. Ever try a Brooks saddle?
Old 08-28-05, 03:08 PM
Cy-Kill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been confronted with a brooks saddle, but just the stark blockiness and weight has me swaying toward a non-leather one. Perhaps if there was a way to try it out before I buy one, I have heard of Wallingford's offer of 6 months trial, though I am loathe to commit myself to such a purchase without some advice. Anyone have experiance with wallbike.com?

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 08-28-05, 05:43 PM
Mississippimom

Bikes: Trek 520, Giant Innova, Breezer Liberty on order

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cy-Kill
I've been confronted with a brooks saddle, but just the stark blockiness and weight has me swaying toward a non-leather one. Perhaps if there was a way to try it out before I buy one, I have heard of Wallingford's offer of 6 months trial, though I am loathe to commit myself to such a purchase without some advice. Anyone have experiance with wallbike.com?

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I purchased my Brooks saddle as well as my Tubus tara rack from Wall and I can't say enough good things about them. They were quite helpful with assisting me in selecting a saddle and they really do honor their 6 month guarantee. They want you to be happy with your Brooks! I recommend them without reservation.
Old 08-28-05, 06:07 PM
Mentor58
'Mizer Cats are INSANE

Bikes: C-dale T800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like the changes that you've made are all good.
I changed the front cog from the stock 52/42/30 to 26/36/46 removed the stock rack, and replaced the Shimano 520 clipless pedals for my pair of Crank Brothers Chrome Eggbeaters
My pet peeve is that most touring bikes off the rack now are geared WAY too high for loaded touring for most of us. Saddle is a personal thing, I've drunk the Brooks Kool-Aide and love it dearly, but they aren't for everybody.

I'm going to make a suggestion FWIW. I've got an aerobar on my C-dale, and I love it for touring. It gives me a nice low supported position when fighting a head wind, and it makes for a nice alternate position to help keep from getting stiff. Downsides are that you can't mount a handlebar bag with it. (I've got a fannypack that i've added extra straps onto to fill that need, and you might lose some handlebar space up top. I've got the really basic Profile bar, but the next step up lets you pivot the armrests up and out of the way. I know it looks strange a fully loaded tourbike with aero, but believe me,it's helped me a bunch some days.

Sounds like a "Sweet Ride"

Steve W.
Old 08-28-05, 06:42 PM
cyclingjo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a '03 520 and its treated me well. Changed the tires to Continentals and have had no flats so far after 2,000 miles. I did change the shifters from the ends of the drops to STI's - I went on a tour of the UK last summer and spent a fair amount of time climbing some "proper" hills and found that with the location of the shifters prevented me from comfortabling shifting when i was in a serious climb. Relocated the shifters and went back to the UK a few weeks ago and it made a world of difference. I tour with suspension trailer and the 520 handles it very well.
Old 08-28-05, 08:49 PM
Doug Campbell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cyclingio. The stock Trek has bar end shifters. What did you mean when you said you relocated the shifters?
Old 08-28-05, 11:39 PM
aroundoz
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have to say that Walllingford Bicycle is great and Bill is true to his word. I almost gave up bike riding (not really) because I couldn't find a comfortable saddle. I went against all sound reason and bought a heavy hard piece of leather called a B17. My fourth ride out I did a 125 miles and experienced no pain whatsoever and it only got better. I could not believe it. It might weigh more but after a long day in another saddle w/ miles to go and a sore butt, you won't even think twice about the added weight.

Not to confuse you anymore but check out Panaracer tires. You won't go wrong between these, Conti's and Schwalbe. However, I believe Panaracer makes one of the only folding touring tires which is really nice to pack rather than folding up a steel beeded tire and tying it down. Airbomb.com has the lowest prices I have found for tires and right now are offering an additional 10 percent off. Baysell.comm has the best prices for Tubus racks.
Old 08-29-05, 07:28 AM
cyclingjo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Doug! i had my LBS change the shifters from down in the drops to be like my road bike. It made a huge difference in comfort and control. Now i can shift w/o moving my hands from the bars which when loaded and climbing can be a little scary!!
Old 08-29-05, 09:22 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Taking delivery of my '06 520 tomorrow, I hope. My 2001 520 just got totalled in a car accident.

On my old bike, I rode the original tires until they wore out. I think it was a Hutchinson IRC tire (??). The original front tire, (which I moved to rear at about 3400 miles) lasted an amazing 7000 miles loaded. Also, I had no problems with my stock bontrager rims. But I'm fairly light, so that makes a difference.

Anyway, my point would be why not just ride the original tires until they wear out? That's what I'm going to do on my new one.

I personally like the bar end shifters.

I made the same other changes as you: lower gears (I went to an MTB crank on my new one), different saddle (same one I use on my road bike), pedals (ditto, Speedplay Frogs) and rack (Jandd expedition, very stable but way too heavy). When I get some extra $, I'll get Bruce Gordon racks - beautiful design, steel, light. I swapped the stem, too, but that was a fit issue.

Anna
Old 08-29-05, 06:13 PM
Cy-Kill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
Anyway, my point would be why not just ride the original tires until they wear out? That's what I'm going to do on my new one.

Anna
Well, my LBS is actually going to give me the Schwalbe Marathon's at cost, so why not?
So here's the final bike equipment:
-Crank Bros Egg Beaters
-Schwalbe 700x32 Marathon tires
-no rack
-48/38/26 front cog with 11-32 cassette

And the rest stock. Still worrying about what racks/ panniers I need to get, but I guess its not neccessary this early in the game.

Thanks for all the advice
Old 08-29-05, 06:49 PM
Tug

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my Trek 520 '01, I stayed with the original saddle, and it broke in nicely. I've had no problems with the rims, and the wheels have never been out of true(I weigh about 160 lbs). I have done some touring with the original rack too, and it is holding up O.K. I don't like the Bontrager tires...got a lot of flats with them. Have put at least 12,000 miles on the bike(only a few thousand fully loaded), and it is as reliable as the proverbial mule, and not as stubborn. I've been real happy with it.