Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weekend Cycling Ride Reports - Sep 17/18

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-11, 02:59 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Where did you cycle this weekend? Did you see anything interesting ... meet any goals? Got pics?

Saturday - Rowan and I rode our September Century on our tandem - 161 km. Total time: 7:45. Ride time: 6:40.

Today was a lovely spring day - high of 23C, light cloud, and (surprisingly) tailwinds most of the day. We did have about 50 km into the headwinds, but not bad.

The route was one we had done before, except that we did it the opposite direction and we exchanged one road for another, quieter, one ... now that an old bridge there has opened again. It's a nice route ... quiet roads, a few little hills to keep things interesting, and very rural.

And we were in a race ... briefly. We almost kept up with the slower bunch up front.

Minor roadside repair ...

Kirwans Bridge - a historic bridge which was closed for a while, and needs repairs, but they decided it was all right for now and opened it in March ...

Machka ...

Last edited by Machka; 09-17-11 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-17-11, 03:50 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Yep, it was the most fun I've had on a bicycle for quite a while. The tailwinds helped, but we were still able to keep a good pace back into it.

It really was about the perfect century ride -- weather, road and traffic conditions, bike and... of course... the company.
Old 09-17-11, 07:41 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Who's out riding today ... or canoeing ... or swimming ... or ..... ??
Old 09-17-11, 08:14 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I've got the Texas Time Trials coming up on Thursday, so I've been taking it kind of easy. Today, I rode with the local bike shop ride (30 miles or so at leisurely pace), and afterwards, got my bar tape replaced. I'll go ride around somewhere tomorrow, too. Come to think of it, there's a balloon festival...wonder how far that is...
Old 09-17-11, 08:28 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I set up a short ride, but everyone wussed out except one friend. Along the way home, it started raining while we were at a hopyard that had a tasting room. Dumb luck that.

The place was great as was the beer. It's possibly the most dog friendly establishment I've ever encountered as they even have a canine menu and water bowls lying around. Curiously, they also have dozens of chickens running about. While I was there, 5 dogs belonging to customers were on premises, none of them on leashes. Amazingly, none of them opted for an off menu chicken entree...

After 4 pints, the ride home was slow. Note to self -- you score no points with the wife showing up at 3:30 in the afternoon with loads of beer on your breath...
Old 09-18-11, 01:22 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Just got back from a lovely 3 hours or so of canoeing on the lake. It was beautiful out there ... bright sunshine, blue sky, light wind, and a temperature of about 22C.

Good recovery exercise from yesterday's century.

Last edited by Machka; 09-18-11 at 06:56 AM.
Old 09-18-11, 07:26 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by StephenH
I've got the Texas Time Trials coming up on Thursday, so I've been taking it kind of easy. Today, I rode with the local bike shop ride (30 miles or so at leisurely pace), and afterwards, got my bar tape replaced. I'll go ride around somewhere tomorrow, too. Come to think of it, there's a balloon festival...wonder how far that is...
Did you ride to the balloon festival? And is that balloon, like hot air balloons?
Old 09-18-11, 09:52 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Ride report from the Waco Wild West Century

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 09-18-11, 10:10 AM
danlikes

Bikes: Sab, Diamondback MB, Kawasiki MB, Huffy hybrid fixed gear junk yard build, Huffy cruiser motorized.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Down the road from my house a train jumped off the bridge.

Old 09-18-11, 10:11 AM
danlikes

Bikes: Sab, Diamondback MB, Kawasiki MB, Huffy hybrid fixed gear junk yard build, Huffy cruiser motorized.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh and it rained in Texas, neither incident happens often.
Old 09-18-11, 04:12 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by danlikes
Down the road from my house a train jumped off the bridge.
You were cycling past when it happened?
Old 09-18-11, 04:22 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Originally Posted by StephenH
It's the Plano Balloon Festival, biggest such event in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. I set my alarm for early this morning (It's 18 miles up there, and the mass launch was at 7:00), but when the alarm went off, I decided to sleep in.

But, I did get a 100k in this afternoon. Rode one of my normal routes down to where it connects with the Mesquite Rodeo Ride routes, then followed their 75k route around.
Old 09-18-11, 07:43 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 5,122 Times in 1,808 Posts
Well I did a nice 40 mile ride yesterday which included a climb up one of our local mountains. The road I used is closed in the winter normally and with all the damage it took the spring they've left it closed. Great ride through the trees but the scenery is so distracting that I find myself looking around more than concentrating on a workout. Now with the trees changing colors it is even harder to stay focused.

Today was another 40 miles but I stayed in the Valley. Doing my first TT trial next weekend so I am taking it easy this week. I fully expect to get blown out at the race but since it's for a charity I just don't care how badly I place in my slow ol' road bike propelled by my slow ol' legs.
Old 09-19-11, 12:20 AM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
got some dirt

about 60 miles...a combo of road and climbing in on mt. tam...(the birth place of the mountain bike) but I was on a cross bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1030535s.jpg (96.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-19-11, 12:42 AM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I set up a short ride, but everyone wussed out except one friend. Along the way home, it started raining while we were at a hopyard that had a tasting room. Dumb luck that.

The place was great as was the beer. It's possibly the most dog friendly establishment I've ever encountered as they even have a canine menu and water bowls lying around. Curiously, they also have dozens of chickens running about. While I was there, 5 dogs belonging to customers were on premises, none of them on leashes. Amazingly, none of them opted for an off menu chicken entree...
After 4 pints, the ride home was slow. Note to self -- you score no points with the wife showing up at 3:30 in the afternoon with loads of beer on your breath...
I think the striped one is a turkey... pimp ride.

My weekend ride was around the block, wife works weekends so I stay home with kids :\
Old 09-19-11, 04:31 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I managed a couple of decent rides, 85km and 65km, which isn't too bad considering I'm just a week into a comeback from three broken bones and I'm still riding the heavy MTB. Saturday I did a circuit through Urliup and Tomewin in Northern NSW. Tomewin was my first decent climb (6km at almost 6% average, with an 11% stretch in the middle) in almost two months, I surprised myself by absolutely slaughtering it. I'm still trying to decide whether that means I'm fitter than I think I am, or whether it was just the frustration at the weeks of inactivity coming out.

Sunday I took a quick ride into Tallebudgera Valley. I wanted to go further, but I wasn't keen on all the smoke haze, and I'm still a little out of condition. I encountered some magpies out here, one of which I'm sure hurt himself a lot more than he hurt me. That's springtime for you. There were quite a few flowers blooming in the valley. The temperature was 33 degrees C from quite early in the day, but that's hardly surprising at this time of year.

The new bike is due for it's debut next weekend if all goes well.

That is all.

Last edited by Chris L; 09-19-11 at 04:34 AM. Reason: I used the wrong image tags
Old 09-19-11, 05:34 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
I did the AYCE (All you can eat) century ride on Saturday. It was actually 109 miles. I had gearing trouble all day; chain would not stay on a couple of gears at first but towards the end of the ride, it wouldn't stay in most of them and on the last little hill the chain tried to shift into the spokes and I broke the chain. Coasted down the hill and Fred Flintstoned it the rest of the way in. Luckily, it was only about a mile and there was a slight decline.

https://springcity.org/century/2011-AYCE106Route.pdf

Over 460 riders started. I left early to beat the rush; still got passed by plenty of fast riders. At mile 45 began the 3.5 mile climb up Skyline mountain. It took me 8 hours to finish including time spent at rest stops.
Old 09-19-11, 04:10 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Chris L
I encountered some magpies out here, one of which I'm sure hurt himself a lot more than he hurt me. That's springtime for you. There were quite a few flowers blooming in the valley. The temperature was 33 degrees C from quite early in the day, but that's hardly surprising at this time of year.
I lost count of the magpies that dive bombed us ... but all were half-hearted about it. I don't know if maybe us riding a tandem threw them off.

And your spring looks beautiful.
Old 09-19-11, 07:41 PM
chuckstyl5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-19-11, 09:13 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by chuckstyl5
And where was that?
Old 09-20-11, 06:17 AM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On Sunday I did my first century Backroadcentury in VA. It's parts of the State that I haven't seen before and it's beautiful. Since getting on the road bike for the first time this summer, I get to see part of the country that my car doesn't get to. Next time it would be even more fun to have a small group of friends to ride with but I like going solo too. At the rest stop they have this Powerbar Power Bite so I grapped one and it didn't take long to figure out what they call it Power Bite - you need some serious jaw muscle to chew on those suckers. And the hard cookies, they are terrible food on the bike. It's like eating chalk.
Old 09-21-11, 09:04 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

I didn't see any hot air balloons, and not many flowers, but I did see some cotton: