Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Questioning my recent Hybrid purchase...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Questioning my recent Hybrid purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 07:21 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Inara220
Yes but only one certain size and not in an easy to reach location... I think I have to give that one up, didn't realize until I looked in depth.
I see it on the W & S website. Only on sale in the 58 cm, which is probably too big for you. If I could justify it, might buy it for my son as he could ride a 58 cm. But I can't justify it as we just bought him a $1,200 Kona mountain bike.
Old 06-06-16, 11:40 AM
Inara220

Bikes: Felt V85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
I see it on the W & S website. Only on sale in the 58 cm, which is probably too big for you. If I could justify it, might buy it for my son as he could ride a 58 cm. But I can't justify it as we just bought him a $1,200 Kona mountain bike.
I am getting so frustrated with their site, everything I'm finding is not available. I know it must be hard to keep a good inventory online, but ARGH! I'd like to go in with some knowledge in hand.

When looking at the road bikes, I noticed that hardly any have disc brakes, (which I have to admit... I really really like)

The Cyclocross bikes looks like they mostly have disc brakes but might be heavier than the road?

I really don't want to go spend a bunch more money (since I'm already a little wary)... but online some of the stuff I'm finding is closer to $2K than the $1K I would like it to be.
Old 06-06-16, 01:28 PM
Pendergast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you can stretch your budget to $1500, the Felt V85 looks good. Nicely spec-ed. Comes with 28mm tires which would be very comfortable for paved roads but has clearance for up to 38mm tires if you wanted to switch to more gravel oriented tires. Looks like Wheel & Sprocket would probably have a size that would fit you.

Felt Bicycles V85 - Wheel & Sprocket | One of America's Best Bike Shops

Last edited by Pendergast; 06-06-16 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-06-16, 01:32 PM
Inara220

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pendergast
If you can stretch your budget to $1500, the Felt V85 looks good. Nicely spec-ed. Comes with 28mm tires which would be very comfortable for paved roads, but has clearance for up to 38mm tires if you wanted to switch to more gravel oriented tires. Looks like Wheel & Sprocket would probably have a size that would fit you.

Thank you... I was definitely beginning to look at that range... and I was considering that one. (also yes it does appear to be in stock at the store I would need to go to)

I wonder how I could find out how much it weighs.

Last edited by Inara220; 06-06-16 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-06-16, 03:43 PM
Pendergast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wonder how I could find out how much it weighs.
One of the other forums said a size 58 V85 weighs about 22 pounds. There's not a huge difference from one frame size to the next so probably in the high 21 almost 22 pound range in the sizes you'd be looking at.

If you don't think you'd ever need wider tires, the Z95 might interest you. It comes with 25 mm tires, but I'm sure 28mm would fit. Lower spec though and would probably weigh close to the V85. I'd much rather have the V85, but if money is an issue, the Z95 still looks like a nice road bike.

Felt Bicycles Z95 - Wheel & Sprocket | One of America's Best Bike Shops
Old 06-06-16, 04:14 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Pendergast
If you can stretch your budget to $1500, the Felt V85 looks good. Nicely spec-ed. Comes with 28mm tires which would be very comfortable for paved roads but has clearance for up to 38mm tires if you wanted to switch to more gravel oriented tires. Looks like Wheel & Sprocket would probably have a size that would fit you.

At that price the Trek Emonda ALR also comes into contention.
Old 06-06-16, 05:21 PM
Inara220

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
At that price the Trek Emonda ALR also comes into contention.
I hadn't considered that one because I was focused on getting disc brakes but due to the lack of disc brakes on the road bikes, I wonder if I should give that up and go back down to sub 1000 and get a Lexa or 1.2.

I can't wait to get in there and try some. Probably won't be able to go til Wednesday night.
Old 06-06-16, 05:54 PM
mongol777

Bikes: are all mine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Felt looks really nice and 105 is hard to beat for price/value.
Has nice brakes as well
No experience with the brand but I would not hesitate to try it and buy it if I were you.
Don't be concerned with weight, it is not as important as you may think. Surely no one likes to ride a tank but good frame with good balance and good fit (!!!) will not make you think about weight.
Old 06-06-16, 06:39 PM
birru

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2007 Pinarello Galileo 105, 2014 Raleigh Cadent 2, 2017 Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm becoming a fan of adventure bikes like that Felt V85. It looks like a lot of bike for $1500. I don't see much in the way of cost cutting either, with proper 105 components, including the crankset. Felt's specs page lists 33c tires too, which I think is a good choice for its intended versatility. From the looks of the geometry it seems like it will be a stable, confidence-inspiring ride. It doesn't look like a twitchy race bike. The weight seems perfectly fine too, if it's around 22lbs. I think it could be a winner if it winds up feeling comfortable.
Old 06-07-16, 08:09 AM
Inara220

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by birru
I'm becoming a fan of adventure bikes like that Felt V85. It looks like a lot of bike for $1500. I don't see much in the way of cost cutting either, with proper 105 components, including the crankset. Felt's specs page lists 33c tires too, which I think is a good choice for its intended versatility. From the looks of the geometry it seems like it will be a stable, confidence-inspiring ride. It doesn't look like a twitchy race bike. The weight seems perfectly fine too, if it's around 22lbs. I think it could be a winner if it winds up feeling comfortable.
I am going to try to go today... my plan is to try the following:

Trek Cross Rip Comp
Felt V85
Old 06-05-17, 11:05 AM
Inara220

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1 year later update:

WOW... once again THANK YOU ALL!!!!!! Your advice (and me listening to it) totally paid off. Yesterday I completed a 70 mile ride and have booked two centuries for later this summer. I also am going on a bicycling vacation where I'll be going 70 miles per day (average) for 6 days, in Vermont! OH boy need to start training for hills.

The bike you guys helped me get (Felt V85) is amazing and has been the catalyst for all this riding stuff I love it, love love love it. I realize that I maybe should "on paper" get a road bike for all the distance I am doing... but the other week we went on a ride out in the rain and my bike was the only one to stay upright during a crossing of a slick wooden bridge. (thank you disc brakes and cyclocross tread tires because I am super clumbsy) The road bikes all slipped (no one was hurt too bad but a couple of the riders turned around a little shaken)

Anyways... I just wanted you all to know that I still appreciate the advice and help you gave me a year ago. You all rock!
Old 06-05-17, 01:54 PM
birru

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2007 Pinarello Galileo 105, 2014 Raleigh Cadent 2, 2017 Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyways... I just wanted you all to know that I still appreciate the advice and help you gave me a year ago. You all rock!
You rock for getting out there and riding a ton!
Old 06-05-17, 05:07 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
1 year later update:

WOW... once again THANK YOU ALL!!!!!! Your advice (and me listening to it) totally paid off. Yesterday I completed a 70 mile ride and have booked two centuries for later this summer. I also am going on a bicycling vacation where I'll be going 70 miles per day (average) for 6 days, in Vermont! OH boy need to start training for hills.

The bike you guys helped me get (Felt V85) is amazing and has been the catalyst for all this riding stuff I love it, love love love it. I realize that I maybe should "on paper" get a road bike for all the distance I am doing... but the other week we went on a ride out in the rain and my bike was the only one to stay upright during a crossing of a slick wooden bridge. (thank you disc brakes and cyclocross tread tires because I am super clumbsy) The road bikes all slipped (no one was hurt too bad but a couple of the riders turned around a little shaken)

Congratulations on beginning the journey. Sounds like you are well on your way.
Old 06-05-17, 06:16 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
1 year later update:

Good stuff.

Crazy how fast a year passes.
Old 06-06-17, 06:05 AM
Pendergast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1 year later update:

WOW... once again THANK YOU ALL!!!!!! Your advice (and me listening to it) totally paid off
Good to hear we steered you in the right direction. Congrats on your accomplishments so far, and good luck on your accomplishments yet to come.