Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

The unicorn of tires? Does it exist?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-17, 01:35 PM
guchhugger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WTB and Maxxis tire user in the past on the gravel/cx bike

Out of them all I absolutely loved my wtb nano 40c tires
Is there a 38-40c tire that is is not so gravel specific or cx specific that would be classified as a "all-rounder"? One that could also be used to race cx in?

I ride: fire roads, gravel roads, hard single track, sand, cx racing

If I already am on to sometime with the nano's-great. I just have not hear much about racing in them.
Old 09-14-17, 01:43 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
They are not the fastest tire. I've been having fun with the Schwalbe G-one. They are bringing back the old ritchey cross max for something fast with side knobs.
Old 09-14-17, 02:22 PM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by guchhugger

Is there a 38-40c tire that is is not so gravel specific or cx specific that would be classified as a "all-rounder"? One that could also be used to race cx in?

If I already am on to sometime with the nano's-great. I just have not hear much about racing in them.
I ride all of those conditions/locations on a Clement (or whatever they're called now) XPLOR USH until late in cross season when it gets real muddy. Narrower than you're asking though (only comes in 35).
Old 09-14-17, 08:08 PM
birru

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2007 Pinarello Galileo 105, 2014 Raleigh Cadent 2, 2017 Jamis Renegade Expert

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Schwalbe G-One 40c tires set up tubeless. They're great on nearly any paved and unpaved road surface, but a little wide and lacking in tread for real mud. I suppose if you're not dealing with mud and snow in your CX race you'd be ok. But I haven't raced cross... yet.
Old 09-14-17, 08:37 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Conti SpeedRide. 42c that measures roughly 39 on a 23@50 (same as the Nano 40). Can be supple or hard depending on the air. Can't speak for the CX racing traction and anything wet you could sink in to because it is a file tread but great in everything else you mentioned. Rolls great, assume similar to the G-One. I've got about 1400 and can see getting 2500 miles on the front. The back.. 1500 would be pushing it.

I took off my Nano 40c after 30 or so miles on and off road to try the SpeedRide and stuck with them. The Nano was better off road overall in mud and loose going and stopping, wet roots etc but not as easy and smooth rolling in my opinion.

Last edited by u235; 09-14-17 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-15-17, 12:42 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, the Conti Speed Ride. Great all around tire. I've put about 1,600 miles on a pair since last November on smooth pavement and rough chipseal, gravel and dry grass/open pasture. It's not a mudder or wet grass tire but great otherwise. Much less tread than the Clement CX tires friends ride, so the Speed Rides sound quieter on pavement and are probably a bit lighter and quicker on pavement.

Decent flat protection, with only one puncture on pavement -- a tiny sliver of glass when I carelessly run through instead of around a small pile of sandy debris, that stuff that accumulates around busy rural intersections. Also had half a dozen other flats, five of which were goat head grass burrs riding across open prairie/pasture (not cultivated grass or park grass, but where the horses and cattle roam). The other flat was a hunk of broken beer bottle under some leaves in the park after a concert.

No flats since January, well over 1,000 miles. Can't complain.

And ditto the Schwalbe Big One, now the G-One. Similar to the Speed Ride's shallow diamond/file tread pattern. A friend switched to that tire last winter, rode it all year including RAGBRAI and other long mixed road/gravel rides. He averages around 16 mph on those big ol' balloons on his steel gravel grinder.

If you prefer something narrower check out the Continental Cyclocross Speed tires. Basically a 700x35 version of the Speed Rides, minus the thin puncture shield. Personally I'd go for the Speed Rides. Less expensive, same tread design, with just enough of a thin puncture shield to do the job in reasonable conditions without excessive weight or sluggishness.

Last edited by canklecat; 09-15-17 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-15-17, 04:10 AM
ATPAH

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Replying to subscribe, as I'm in the same position as you. I love the Nanos for the varied condition New England dirt roads and trails but something that rolls faster on the intervening pavement would be nice. So far, I've seen all the tires that In considering mentioned except the Gravelking 40. It's getting to be time for someone to do some side-by-side comparisons.

Last edited by ATPAH; 09-15-17 at 05:45 AM.
Old 09-15-17, 10:18 AM
justin1138

Bikes: yes...

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 17 Posts

I raced on Nano's for two seasons of CX in the earlier, dryer parts of the season. Once it got wet enough and there was an appreciable amount of mud, I switched over to Clement PDX's. The Nano's don't grip and clear the mud as well. They would work of course, but a true mud tire is good to keep on standby.

This season i'm going with some more traditional cross tires, Clement MXP/PDX combo for now, just to mix things up a bit.

After the cross season I'll go back to the wider, more gravel oriented tires I took off recently.
Old 09-15-17, 11:08 AM
birru

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2007 Pinarello Galileo 105, 2014 Raleigh Cadent 2, 2017 Jamis Renegade Expert

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to add that my G-Ones have 2900 miles on them according to Strava. The front tire is barely worn. The rear's center tread is nearly worn flat, but the rest of the tread is in great shape. But it still rides well and has some life left in it yet.
Old 09-15-17, 12:26 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

Schwalbe G-One Allaround 35's

Not so great on loose surfaces such as sand but they are supple and fast on pavement, packed dirt and gravel.

These are racing tires and wear fast but are light and a joy to ride when paired with a light wheel.

-Tim-
Old 09-15-17, 01:45 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
clement xlpor mso comes in a 40, relatively fast on pave and gravel, and can be raced on dry cross courses(i did last weekend)
Old 09-15-17, 02:20 PM
chas58

yeah, but the xplor mso isn't going to be a lot faster than nanos. They are a pretty good all around tire though.
Old 09-15-17, 07:00 PM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've been sporting Terrene Elwoods in tubeless mode the past couple of weeks and am pretty happy with them. Compared to the Voyager Hypers they replaced they roll about as fast and there's no measurable difference in my average speed. The Elwoods "feel" like they roll much better than the Hypers on crushed limestone but not as fast on pavement but that may just be my imagination. The ride is noticeably more plush on the Elwoods but from my reading that may be due to the fact they are set up tubeless and the Hypers were tubed. The Elwoods definitely corner better than the Hypers. What I have an issue with is that the 40mm that I have installed on my Vaya measure closer to 43mm on Arc 24 rims which means my fender clearance and chainstay clearance is quite tight.

Last edited by edthesped; 11-04-17 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-16-17, 02:23 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I have Schwalbe Marathon Dureme. Not much flat protection. Installing some Rhinodillo tire liners solved the problem. Good all-rounder on pavement, fire roads, gravel roads and hard pack terrain. At 42c, it can also be used for back-country bike-packing and long-distance touring.
Old 09-18-17, 09:22 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by NormanF
I have Schwalbe Marathon Dureme. Not much flat protection. Installing some Rhinodillo tire liners solved the problem. Good all-rounder on pavement, fire roads, gravel roads and hard pack terrain. At 42c, it can also be used for back-country bike-packing and long-distance touring.
Just a word of warning. I installed some of those and they wore a hole in my tubes 3 hours into a 4 hour ride. I couldn't figure out why I was loosing air, until I took the tire apart and found out that the tube chafing against the tire liner caused the hole in the tube. Kinda frustrating when I would not have had a problem without the liners.
Old 09-18-17, 10:29 AM
danmyersmn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Try the Challenge Gravel Grinder Race 38. I think this might be what you are looking for.
Gravel Grinder
Old 09-18-17, 11:06 AM
motorthings

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Schwalbe G-One Allaround 35's
Not so great on loose surfaces such as sand but they are supple and fast on pavement, packed dirt and gravel.
These are racing tires and wear fast but are light and a joy to ride when paired with a light wheel.
-Tim-
I just picked up a set of these for my Katy Trail trip in October - STL to KC on packed gravel rail bed
I based this decision on your recommendation, so if i have any issues with them, i'll expect you trailside to help out
Old 11-02-17, 04:46 PM
ZepoL
🤙

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO, Giant Stance, Salsa Journeyman, Haro Shredder

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by danmyersmn
Try the Challenge Gravel Grinder Race 38. I think this might be what you are looking for.
Gravel Grinder
+1
They roll pretty quick on the road and def on gravel and hardpack. Only weakness for this tire is loose dirt or sand. But if you have this tire and see the loose stuff coming up, you can handle it and ride it through.
I have the 38c Gravel Grinder Comp and it does so much better than my bikes's stock Kenda Flintridge. Kendas that are so thin and get flats every ride out. Challenge tires are holding up great so far.
Old 11-03-17, 05:23 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts

Bontrager CX0 is exactly what you're looking for.
Old 11-03-17, 11:18 AM
J.Owen

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 8 Posts
what about going to the WTB Riddler? You have an option of 37 or 45 would be step toward a gravel/road tire from your Nano's.
Old 11-06-17, 09:49 PM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It doesn't exist. That's why there are so many tire threads.

It depends on what you are willing to sacrifice: money, speed, comfort, traction or ease.

It also depends on how serious you are when it comes to racing and the kind of courses you'll see in your area.

Personally, I lean towards setting up for racing while in season. All other rides I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of speed or comfort in. Once CX ends I'll go back to bigger, faster tires with less tread.

Right now I'm rocking tubeless Clement MXPs and have nothing bad to say about them. Super reliable, not too expensive, great for racing and fast enough for everything else.
Old 11-08-17, 08:50 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Carcosa
It doesn't exist.
Sure it does, and I've already said what it is. The 38mm Bontrager CX0 team issue. It's EXACTLY what the OP is asking for.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-tire/p/09090/

https://ridingagainstthegrain.com/20...0-tire-review/
Old 11-09-17, 01:52 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by shoota
Sure it does, and I've already said what it is. The 38mm Bontrager CX0 team issue. It's EXACTLY what the OP is asking for.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-tire/p/09090/

https://ridingagainstthegrain.com/20...0-tire-review/
how lame is it to release a tire that isn't tubeless compatible in 2017?
Old 11-09-17, 02:09 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by redlude97
how lame is it to release a tire that isn't tubeless compatible in 2017?
It is, the older version just doesn't explicitly say so.
Old 11-09-17, 03:35 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by shoota
It is, the older version just doesn't explicitly say so.
Hi, are these designed to be run tubeless? Thank-you,
Verified Reply - Andrew@Trek
The CX0 tires are not going to be tubeless compatible
I mean many tires work even if they aren't labeled so, but seems odd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.