Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Floor Pump and Pressure Gauge Inconsistency...What number to believe?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-20, 01:41 PM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

So I have two floor pumps (Topeak Elite and Lezyne Road Drive)...both solid quality. And two pressure gauges...one a Topeak digital and I forget the brand of the other. In any event, my inconsistent readings follow an interesting pattern. Both of the floor pumps register very close to each other, while the two seperate pressure gauges are also very close to each other, yet the pressure gauges always ready about 10PSI lower than the floor pumps. ALWAYS. I've triple checked this many times by attaching the pump, gauge then pump again to confirm the pressure didn't drop somehow etc. Has anyone noticed a similar issue? Seems fairly odd to me. A few PSI is no big deal, but now I don't know which gauges to trust.
Old 07-16-20, 01:53 PM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Floor pumps measure pressure at the gauge, which is affected by how much pressure there is in the pump itself. That's at least part of the discrepancy. Assuming the tire gauges you have are calibrated--I would trust those.
Old 07-16-20, 01:55 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I'm not being dismissive, but does it really matter? Usually you're going to target a certain pressure and then tweak from there. As long as you're getting enough precision to do that with your pumps, I wouldn't be worried about the accuracy too much.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-16-20, 02:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Do they have better tire gauges nowadays? The one I bought 20 years ago seemed more like an expensive tool for letting air out of tires. It was Heisenberg's Pressure Gauge - It only let you determine what the pressure in your tires HAD BEEN before air blew out while taking the gauge back off the valve.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-16-20, 02:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm not being dismissive, but does it really matter? Usually you're going to target a certain pressure and then tweak from there. As long as you're getting enough precision to do that with your pumps, I wouldn't be worried about the accuracy too much.
You make an excellent point - as long as you use the same gauge, once you've found the right pressure, just keep pumping them up to that pressure as registered on that gauge. It doesn't matter if that number isn't accurate, as long as your gauge always registers the same at that pressure.

Mind you, not knowing what that actual number is might bother you. It would bother me.

EDIT: The OP's post reminds me of an old saying - "The man with one watch always knows the time. The man with two watches is never sure."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-16-20, 03:00 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
This.

What matters more is that your pumps are consistent with each other, and that they repeatably and accurately pump your tires to your desired specification.

The pumps may be empirically wrong, but if they're consistently wrong, then they're right.
Old 07-16-20, 03:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
My gauge doesn't suffer lost air. Thumb and index finger. I'd just develop a similar gauge and calibrate it with either of your gauges and what feels right out there on the road and go from there. (And best part - it works mid ride and takes up no jersey pocket space.)
Old 07-16-20, 03:57 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
If the digital tells you the floor pumps are 110psi while the pump says 100 and you want 100, pump to 90. If the digital tells you 90 and the pump says 100, pump to 110. "ish.
Old 07-16-20, 04:34 PM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
This.

What matters more is that your pumps are consistent with each other, and that they repeatably and accurately pump your tires to your desired specification.

The pumps may be empirically wrong, but if they're consistently wrong, then they're right.
i don’t disagree with anything said. More a curiosity if there is something fundamentally different in gauge readings on floor pumps vs. standalone pressure gauges. I find it very odd that the pumps are all off by 10psi relative to the gauges. Oh well.
Old 07-16-20, 04:43 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by upthywazzoo
Floor pumps measure pressure at the gauge, which is affected by how much pressure there is in the pump itself. That's at least part of the discrepancy. Assuming the tire gauges you have are calibrated--I would trust those.
If this is true, I kinda feel the pump makers would know of this effect, and would just rotate the PSI scale that's under the needle the correct amount to still be accurate.
Old 07-16-20, 06:24 PM
upthywazzoo 

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
If this is true, I kinda feel the pump makers would know of this effect, and would just rotate the PSI scale that's under the needle the correct amount to still be accurate.
Someone who is a mechanical engineer/pump expert feel free to correct me.

There are a couple problems that stand in the way of compensating for this easily. Firstly, the gauges cannot really measure pressure in a linear way. There is a range at which they're most accurate. A pump designer at Lezyne must choose (for example) for their pump to be accurate at 90psi. So at 90psi, the gauge is right on, and maybe between 75 and 105, it's pretty good. Beyond that it's going to be less and less dependable.Even if the designer accounts for the offset between internal pump pressure at 90psi (in the tire) and the inside of the pump (105psi, for example), the offset will not be reliable for the rest of the gauge range, unless there's some sophisticated mechanical or electronic elements used to create a differential offset. You can absolutely buy pressure gauges that are accurate to within 2% or better across their whole range of measurement--but these are certified components, and it's not likely that you'd find them on $40 pump.

This is why it's useful to find the pressure that works for your tires according to the pump gauge and just stick to that.
Old 07-16-20, 06:36 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
How do did you test? If you pump up to a pressure with a pump and then check with a pressure gauge you can lose a little air when switching. If you connect a pump you will lose more air due to its greater volume, since obviously air has to come out of the tire to pressurize the pump.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 07-16-20, 06:41 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
If you are OCD and need 0.05% accuracy get this plus some adapters. You can also interface with your PC and track results.
https://www.testequipmentdepot.com/d...3531dlm110.htm
Old 07-16-20, 06:59 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,040 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Do they have better tire gauges nowadays? The one I bought 20 years ago seemed more like an expensive tool for letting air out of tires. It was Heisenberg's Pressure Gauge - It only let you determine what the pressure in your tires HAD BEEN before air blew out while taking the gauge back off the valve.
My Blackburn digital gauge will take about three readings and lose about .5 PSI. How accurate it is, who knows? My guess is fairly accurate based on comparisons to the digital gauge on my compressor’s air chuck.
Old 07-16-20, 07:41 PM
upthywazzoo 

Originally Posted by sfrider
How do did you test? If you pump up to a pressure with a pump and then check with a pressure gauge you can lose a little air when switching. If you connect a pump you will lose more air due to its greater volume, since obviously air has to come out of the tire to pressurize the pump.
Well with a presta valve, the pressure gauge on the pump will only be measuring pressure inside the pump/hose, not the tire. The pump has to generate enough internal pressure to overcome the pressure inside the tire holding the presta valve closed. A tire with a presta valve could not inflate the pump, since it's one way, by design and a presta chuck does not open the valve like a schrader chuck does. Only a standalone pressure gauge would work here, or performing at least one pump stroke.
Old 07-16-20, 08:39 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Well with a presta valve, the pressure gauge on the pump will only be measuring pressure inside the pump/hose, not the tire. The pump has to generate enough internal pressure to overcome the pressure inside the tire holding the presta valve closed. A tire with a presta valve could not inflate the pump, since it's one way, by design and a presta chuck does not open the valve like a schrader chuck does. Only a standalone pressure gauge would work here, or performing at least one pump stroke.
Thank you for this explanation. Now it makes sense to me.
Old 07-17-20, 05:00 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
We keep seeing these sort of questions. If you're really concerned about accuracy, test everything on a truck tire or tractor tire. The change in pressure as you switch gauges will be less than they can measure. Bike tires are too small. Then pick your fav gauge and stick with that for your bike.

Or just wack your tires with a heavy lug wrench like truckers do and get a feel for it.
Old 07-17-20, 06:00 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

No, I don't think so.. the presta valve is open after you start pumping, as long as the pump head remains affixed. The gauge is reading the overall equalized pressure of the whole system (which is fine; psi is psi). Releasing the pump head allows the presta valve to immediately close and the escaping hiss/air is that air that was in the pump's hose.

Some pump heads (like mine), have a little button on the pump head to release air from the tire (in case of having overshot your target); it's not like that button is pushing in the presta valve, it's just opening the seal a bit to let air escape.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-17-20, 08:13 AM
upthywazzoo 

No, I don't think so.. the presta valve is open after you start pumping, as long as the pump head remains affixed. The gauge is reading the overall equalized pressure of the whole system (which is fine; psi is psi). Releasing the pump head allows the presta valve to immediately close and the escaping hiss/air is that air that was in the pump's hose.
This blew up my brain, but it makes sense. My description would work better for a schrader valve since there must be a pressure differential there for it to open
Old 07-17-20, 04:22 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
They're all accurate. The tire gauges just let some air out as a side effect.
Old 07-18-20, 05:22 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
This blew up my brain, but it makes sense. My description would work better for a schrader valve since there must be a pressure differential there for it to open

You had it right the first time. When the pump generates more pressure than what's in the tire, the valve is forced open.

The valve is only held open by the pump head when it's fit on wrong, normally it is closes at the end of each pump stroke.

The bleed button on the pump only releases pressure from the hose when using presta- you can't lower the tire pressure with it.
Old 07-18-20, 05:35 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by woodcraft
You had it right the first time. When the pump generates more pressure than what's in the tire, the valve is forced open.

The valve is only held open by the pump head when it's fit on wrong, normally it is closes at the end of each pump stroke.

The bleed button on the pump only releases pressure from the hose when using presta- you can't lower the tire pressure with it.
No.. at least not with my pump (Bontrager -- one of these if it matters: Bontrager SuperCharger ). As soon as I twist the head on to the valve, it gives me a PSI reading. No pumping required to get initial reading. Once attached, I can hit the release valve and deflate the tire completely if I so wished.
Old 07-18-20, 05:43 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
yes. exactly.
Old 07-18-20, 07:21 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
No.. at least not with my pump (Bontrager -- one of these if it matters: Bontrager SuperCharger ). As soon as I twist the head on to the valve, it gives me a PSI reading. No pumping required to get initial reading. Once attached, I can hit the release valve and deflate the tire completely if I so wished.

Yes, I see you can do it that way (& how Bontrager describes), but I never do. I have a pump with that kind of head, but any imperfection of the seal & the tire loses pressure.
The pump (head) I mostly use has presta on one side & schrader on the other with a lever between. If you push it on far enough to open the presta valve, the tire deflates before the lever can be closed. Basically the same for the many pumps I've used back to the Silca frame ones.
Old 07-19-20, 04:13 AM
upthywazzoo 

Hm, this would imply that your chuck opens the presta valve manually, because the air has to come from the tire to give a PSI rating if there hasn't been any pumping. This also explains why your release valve can work without reactivating the presta valve seal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.