Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

I need help connecting post between stem/handlebar

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-24, 11:07 AM
prairieguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I need help connecting post between stem/handlebar

Hi - First-time poster in this part of the forum. A lady friend has some nerve damage in her extremities from chemo, and can no longer take jolting through her hands from normal handlebars. I've designed a fixed handlebar that instead puts all her weight on her forearms, and it works beautifully, except that it needs also to be movable up and down while riding or she's stuck in a single position. I need help now with fabricating connections with a stem and handlebar for a movable post. If anyone can point me toward help with this I'd be greatly obliged. And I'll mention that I think a lot of people out there could use a device like this.
Bern, in Kansas City
Old 01-25-24, 06:46 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Suspension stem? The RedShift Shock Stop is pretty awesome. I have two bikes with them. Unless, that's not the kind of movement you're looking for and you need far more travel?
Old 01-28-24, 07:32 PM
prairieguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, but I'm not looking for a shock-absorption kind of movement. I'm looking for a way to be able to push a button or lever while riding to move the handlebar up, or down, and have it locked in position when the button or lever is released. And I think we need 3-5 inches of travel.
Old 01-29-24, 11:01 AM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 91 Posts
I have one. I'll try to find it and photo it.
Old 01-29-24, 11:19 AM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 91 Posts
Found it.

some specs
fits on a 1 1/8 threadless fork (~28.5mm)
140mm vertical travel.
locking lever holds it securely
tiny lever releases the positioning pin
shim on the top for 1 1/8 threadless stem. remove-able to fit a 1" threadless stem.
black
mostly alloy
Brand is OCTAGON. A commercially made product.
No idea of it's age, probably within the past 20 years.
company web site is https://octagoncycles.com/
Retail is about $40. Looks like your lbs will have to order. I don't see any for sale on the www.

You might need to install longer cables.

The site has better photos & graphics and a good video on how to install it.

Last edited by rickpaulos; 01-29-24 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-03-24, 12:46 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Had a similar adjustable stem extender I used when I could still ride. It was surprisingly sturdy compared to most stem extender type things.

I have an extra new one somewhere if you can't find one for sale.

This one if I recall: https://www.amazon.com/Satori-Adjust.../dp/B089VZMW4Y

Last edited by wesmamyke; 02-03-24 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-07-24, 04:44 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Yikes. To say that that thing gets mixed reviews is an understatement. It also doesn't sound like something that anyone with somewhat compromised arm/hand strength could manage. I'm not sure why the modified handlebars are not enough in and of themselves. Why the need to have so critical a function as the steering connection be movable? Being "stuck in one position" (except horizontally) is kind of the point. If that is a deal-breaker, then so it is, but I doubt there is anything better than this device, flawed as it is, and it is not something you are going to want to adjust more than occasionally. Very occasionally.