Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Thinking of adding a commuter type bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-17, 10:49 AM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

Starting to think about adding something like a city/hybrid/gravel bike. Around here it's nice to get out in the Everglades and ride the levees, a few good routes take you on the road and the levee. Considering either a Trek FX S 6 which is carbon with ISO decoupler on the seatpost, 105 components and a flat bar. The the other option is a Trek Crossrip 3, aluminum, 105, with a drop bar. I really can't make up my mind (and haven't ridden either yet as well). The FX has the advantage of carbon and a more relaxed position with the flat bar. The Crossrip has the advantage of the drop bar so I could use it also as a rain bike withe discs and wider tires. I want to put the SPD pedals with clip on one side and flats on the other on so I can ride with MTB shoes, SPD sandals or plain ol' Nikes. Other than the levee or maybe on wet days I'd use it as a bike to take a leisurely ride to the beach, some commuting etc.

Curious about others thoughts on these types of bikes if anyone else has ever had to make a similar decision. I know a lot will be answered when I ride them, but just starting to do some homework.
Old 02-16-17, 11:05 AM
DJH8098

Bikes: 2012 Surly Karate Monkey SS, 2012 Surly Cross Check, 2016 Litespeed T3, 2015 Niner RLT 9SS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were in the shop I would have to say can you answer two questions. 1.)What position do you like more your road bikes or your mountain bike? 2.) Do you have a preference in frame material?

Scenario 1= You like your road bike geometry, no preference in material. I would look at the Crossrips, Surly Cross Check and a Niner RLT Steel, Aluminum or carbon.

Scenario 2= Mountain bike is better, still no preference on material. Look at the FX (carbon option as stated), Priority Continuum (great commuter, aluminum and reasonably priced), and Cannondale Bad Boy (fun bikes with a few options)

If you have a preference in material lean to the one that checks each box for you. Hope that helps in the search.
Old 02-16-17, 11:16 AM
birru

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2007 Pinarello Galileo 105, 2014 Raleigh Cadent 2, 2017 Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Crossrip, Cross Check and RLT 9 are all solid choices.

I'd also add the Kona Wheelhouse, which is a hell of a frame and comes with a decent component selection for $1599.

Another bike that has caught my eye as a commuter and general "fun" bike is the Spot Champa, a steel 8-speed with flat bars and a Gates Carbon Drive belt drivetrain. Spot is selling it direct for $1449 plus another 10% if you follow them on social media.