Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I need a Campag know It All! Help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-18, 08:31 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts

Hi All,

from my schwinn paramount that I just got today. I have more proof that it wasnt ridden.. ever.. The spindle is too short. i overhauled the BB and when I tightened the crank all the way the chainring rubs on the stay...The stay has no damage. The crank came off easily. proves it was built as a wall hanger.

Thats the good news..

Bad news is I have to find a spindle.. Im fairly knowledgeable however im not familiar with this C record bb..

Cups are thicker, bearings are smaller than usual and the distance between the races is different than any other campy spindle I have... I have a bunch.

How do i know im buying the correct one. the original bb on the paramount is a 68ss 109mm.
I am assuming that I need a 111mm. The distance between the races is slightly wider than my other 68s but narrower than a 70mm

Any idea how to get the correct spindle? other 68ss spindles (non C record)the races are closer together..

please advise!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MVIMG_20180324_210722.jpg (802.6 KB, 201 views)
Old 03-24-18, 08:53 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
OK, you have a Corsa Record bottom bracket, or at least that is what was presented. The cups are near carryovers from Super Record, a bottom bracket that also used 3/16" ball bearings. Alloy cups and passed in steel races.
measuring the spindle race spacing won't help much, you are living in the 3/16" ball bearing world unique to Campagnolo.
(they did this for a year in the early 60's too just a point of history)
the spindle notation 68 or 70 is for the width of the BB shell. So, there is your starting place.
Double check the frame, some frames get "faced" to odd dimensions for various reasons.
These spindles were SLIGHTLY asymmetrical, the Pista versions hardly noticeable.
Now, the hard part... locating the correct spindle will be a search... so much so that I would be thinking of looking for a Super Record ti spindle, or spindle with nuts, early took bolts.
Old 03-24-18, 08:56 PM
repechage

thinking, actually a ti spindle that accepts bolts, better chance that it will be just a mm or two too long.
Old 03-24-18, 09:02 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by repechage
thinking, actually a ti spindle that accepts bolts, better chance that it will be just a mm or two too long.
yes, how do I know that the spindle is 3/16 bearing compatible if they are all labled 68x???
Old 03-24-18, 09:09 PM
repechage

All Campagnolo Branded ti spindles are designed for 3/16" bearings. the pressed on steel bearing races take up too much volume.

Do not buy a Teledyne spindle, 1/4" bearings.
Old 03-24-18, 09:11 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs

How do i know im buying the correct one. the original bb on the paramount is a 68ss 109mm.
I am assuming that I need a 111mm. The distance between the races is slightly wider than my other 68s but narrower than a 70mm

Any idea how to get the correct spindle? other 68ss spindles (non C record)the races are closer together..

please advise!
with the disclaimer that I know barely enough to get by... I do have a Campy axle marked "68-SSb" that had me confused. The wise souls on the CR list informed me that it is a Chorus axle. I'm not sure where I got it, but I don't have a use for it. It's 111mm long. Details in the photo below (it's the lower axle, below a more familiar Campy Record).

PM me if you think you can use it. It's just taking up space in my parts box.

Steve in snowy Peoria
Old 03-24-18, 09:16 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
with the disclaimer that I know barely enough to get by... I do have a Campy axle marked "68-SSb" that had me confused. The wise souls on the CR list informed me that it is a Chorus axle. I'm not sure where I got it, but I don't have a use for it. It's 111mm long. Details in the photo below (it's the lower axle, below a more familiar Campy Record).

Steve in snowy Peoria
let me measure mine..Ill see if that driveside will be long enough.. Thanks!!
Old 03-24-18, 09:20 PM
repechage

good image steelbikeguy.
Surprised the CR list C Record enforcers did not kill off that discussion right away!
Old 03-24-18, 09:21 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 453 Posts
Why Replace A Perfectly Good Spindle?

Originally Posted by jjhabbs
...when I tightened the crank all the way the chainring rubs on the stay...The stay has no damage.
Why don't you move the DS cup out the necessary distance, probably only a half a mm or ?, with a spacer ring? Check your current chainline, it may be off that much already?
(That's old school. Did this with my Maserati MT-1. Ring cost $1.50 at my LBS.)
Old 03-24-18, 09:25 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by machinist42
Why don't you move the DS cup out the necessary distance, probably only a half a mm or ?, with a spacer ring? Check your current chainline, it may be off that much already?
done that once before. sorta hinky for me..Plus, I think i need a couple MM and that will limit lock ring threads.

Thanks

JJ
Old 03-24-18, 09:27 PM
repechage

Maybe... the cups are aluminum, adding a washer behind the fixed cup will alter the locking engagement on the other side.. I would want complete thread engagement there in this instance.
Old 03-24-18, 09:33 PM
trainman999

Bikes: 83 Schwinn Superior, 86 Paramount,86 Madison,87 Cimeron,86 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 113 Posts
Did you try flipping the spindle?
Old 03-24-18, 09:39 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by trainman999
Did you try flipping the spindle?
yes
Old 03-24-18, 09:40 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Maybe... the cups are aluminum, adding a washer behind the fixed cup will alter the locking engagement on the other side.. I would want complete thread engagement there in this instance.
The "washer" I used is aluminum, from a Campagnolo kit. Works fine on the Campagnolo bottom bracket; haven't experienced any issues. (It was a way, back in the day. Thought I'd throw the idea out, as I hadn't seen it mentioned.)
Old 03-24-18, 09:44 PM
jjhabbs 

Steve in snowy Peoria
Mine is also 28mm from race to edge..same as yours..bummer
Old 03-24-18, 10:12 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 282 Posts
I have a NOS Italian C-record BB. It is marked Spc, and is 111 mm long. What is your current spindle marked? I would assume an English ("68") C-record would be 109 mm.

Edit: Nope - looks like English C-Record is also 111 mm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAMPAGNOLO-...IAAOSwQwdajsvP
Old 03-24-18, 10:45 PM
trainman999

Bikes: 83 Schwinn Superior, 86 Paramount,86 Madison,87 Cimeron,86 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 113 Posts
Do you have a 111 axle in your stash and the correct cups and bearings to go with it. Just use it. If it's only going to be a occasional rider you could just use an older record BB and cups.
Old 03-24-18, 11:09 PM
repechage

The "washer" I used is aluminum, from a Campagnolo kit. Works fine on the Campagnolo bottom bracket; haven't experienced any issues. (It was a way, back in the day. Thought I'd throw the idea out, as I hadn't seen it mentioned.)
I think you are missing my concern. A washer at the fixed cup is not a problem. As it shifts the spindle over the same amount, the amount of engagement of the lock-ring over the adjustable cup may be inadequate. There, I want to see full engagement especially with an aluminum cup. How this all works out is really the sum of the variables, the bottom bracket shell being the initial concern, they often get faced, some more than others, more metal removal on the drive side the bigger the potential problem.
Campagnolo in the Record bottom bracket era made spindles with dimension modifications and stamped as such. Bypassed by the Corsa Record era. C Record and Chorus are close but not fully interchangeable.
Old 03-24-18, 11:26 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

I think you are missing my concern. A washer at the fixed cup is not a problem. As it shifts the spindle over the same amount, the amount of engagement of the lock-ring over the adjustable cup may be inadequate. There, I want to see full engagement especially with an aluminum cup. How this all works out is really the sum of the variables, the bottom bracket shell being the initial concern, they often get faced, some more than others, more metal removal on the drive side the bigger the potential problem.
Campagnolo in the Record bottom bracket era made spindles with dimension modifications and stamped as such. Bypassed by the Corsa Record era. C Record and Chorus are close but not fully interchangeable.
No, I understood and understand your concern(s) completely. I rather doubt BB facing or metal removal is an issue in this instance, as the OP has suggested this bike has never been ridden, having been built out for display. If it is the "Wheaties" repaint (?), perhaps they forgot to reinstall the ring when it was reassembled; it happens.

As the OP had already dismissed the option, I only addressed the ring material question in my reply.
Old 03-24-18, 11:31 PM
repechage

No, I understood and understand your concern(s) completely. I rather doubt BB facing or metal removal is an issue in this instance, as the OP has suggested this bike has never been ridden, having been built out for display. If it is the "Wheaties" repaint (?), perhaps they forgot to reinstall the ring when it was reassembled; it happens.

As the OP had already dismissed the option, I only addressed the ring material question in my reply.
Some images of the bottom bracket assembled may have answered both our concerns.
would have been good to see the markings on the spindle too.
Old 03-24-18, 11:40 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Some images of the bottom bracket assembled may have answered both our concerns.
would have been good to see the markings on the spindle too.
True that! Pics be good n'at!

To paraphrase Tmar: "A picture can be worth a thousand words, but only if it is from the drive side..."
Old 03-25-18, 06:02 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
John,
Checking my parts stash after early mass this morning. I am with repechage, he guided me through a search to cure problems with my Tommasini BB shell width.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-25-18, 06:52 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts

Steve in snowy Peoria
I suspect this spindle would work with the C-Record cranks, if used with Chorus or equivalent cups.

IIRC, the Chorus cups were the same as the old Record "thin" (i.e. not rifled) cups, also used with Triomphe, Victory and Pista bottom brackets.
Old 03-25-18, 07:06 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
OP, if the bike hasn't been ridden, perhaps the frame prep wasn't completed and the BB needs facing. Not that it will fix your crank rub but on a bike this special, it's good to start at the very beginning.
Old 03-25-18, 07:40 AM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked 3,099 Times in 914 Posts
I looked through your other thread and didn’t see, but it woukd be helpful to post a pic of the crank to make sure everyone is on the same page. 1st gen C Record, Victory, Triomphe double cranks use symmetric 109 mm spindles in English and Italian BB. At some point after that they went to 111. If you’re using earlier gen cranks, then you dip into the morass of asymmetry and variable lengths.
N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '86 Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, ‘89 Cinelli Supercorsa, ‘83 Bianchi Specialissima, ‘VO Randonneur, Ritchey Breakaway Steel, '84 Paletti Super Prestige, Heron Randonneur

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.