Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with Continental Contact tires - want harder tread compound

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-12, 07:04 PM
kiltedcelt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Title says it all. I bought some Continental Contact tires in 700x32 to replace some Vittoria Randonneur tires. I noticed my rear Vittoria had worn down really low on the tread down the middle on the rear tire. Since I needed a new rear I was just going to buy another Randonneur but decided instead to go with a tire that had a little bit more tread going onto the sidewalls, hence the Conti Contacts. I'm not a huge guy (185lb), and I don't carry a ton of weight in my panniers, maybe about 15lb on average. The rear Conti seems to have worn out in only about 2800 miles. I'm not exactly sure when I bought the Randonneurs, but I am pretty sure that I got around 2000 miles out of them, maybe a bit less. Is this pretty acceptable in terms of life expectancy? The center tread is close to wearing bald on the Conti whereas when I replaced the Randonneurs, the center tread on the rear tire then was completely worn smooth. Currently the tread on the front Conti looks fine - lots of life left there. Any suggestions on tires with a nice long lived tread compound? Or, if this is normal for the mileage, does one simply just keep replacing the rear tire every 2800 miles or so? This is only my first year of commuting daily. My ride is 110 miles a week total, not including non-commute related errands or leisure rides.
Old 08-17-12, 07:37 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I think 3k miles is pretty good. I go not by tread wear but by accumulation of flats. If I start getting a bunch of flats (3 in a month or so) I figure the tire's had it unless there is a compelling case the flats are fluky (like clear evidence they are pinch flats from my own inattention to tire pressure or spoke hole flats from my tire levers shoveling the rim strip out of the way while fixing another flat)
Old 08-17-12, 08:32 PM
ben4345
Kitten Legion Master

Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2500-3000 miles is pretty good for any set of tires. Personally I go for softer tires for better traction. Anyways, I hear Schwalbe marathon plus tires are great for lots of miles.
Old 08-17-12, 10:30 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
I wouldn't be disappointed getting that many miles on a REAR tire, since they wear about twice as fast as a front.
Old 08-17-12, 10:34 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
2,800 on the rear is good.

Old 08-18-12, 06:24 AM
ezdoesit

Bikes: Fuji Touring 2008

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kiltedcelt
Title says it all. I bought some Continental Contact tires in 700x32 to replace some Vittoria Randonneur tires. I noticed my rear Vittoria had worn down really low on the tread down the middle on the rear tire. Since I needed a new rear I was just going to buy another Randonneur but decided instead to go with a tire that had a little bit more tread going onto the sidewalls, hence the Conti Contacts. I'm not a huge guy (185lb), and I don't carry a ton of weight in my panniers, maybe about 15lb on average. The rear Conti seems to have worn out in only about 2800 miles. I'm not exactly sure when I bought the Randonneurs, but I am pretty sure that I got around 2000 miles out of them, maybe a bit less. Is this pretty acceptable in terms of life expectancy? The center tread is close to wearing bald on the Conti whereas when I replaced the Randonneurs, the center tread on the rear tire then was completely worn smooth. Currently the tread on the front Conti looks fine - lots of life left there. Any suggestions on tires with a nice long lived tread compound? Or, if this is normal for the mileage, does one simply just keep replacing the rear tire every 2800 miles or so? This is only my first year of commuting daily. My ride is 110 miles a week total, not including non-commute related errands or leisure rides.
+1
When my Contis wear out I am back to Vittoria Randonneur tires and will stay with them from now on.
Old 08-18-12, 10:27 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
got in a long tour on Nokian A10, looks like new , rear had a sidewall issue
before showing any wear

rode length of Irish west coast with cool weather clothing and camping gear first..

you probably would hate the performance, It is kind of a truck tire for bikes..
wish it had been a 4 ply casing on the rear to see how many miles.. I could get ..

Still have a Nokian studded set bought 15 years ago .. all the studs still there..
Old 08-18-12, 10:37 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
got in a long tour on Nokian A10, looks like new , rear had a sidewall issue
before showing any wear

rode length of Irish west coast with cool weather clothing and camping gear first..

you probably would hate the performance, It is kind of a truck tire for bikes..
wish it had been a 4 ply casing on the rear to see how many miles.. I could get ..

Still have a Nokian studded set bought 15 years ago .. all the studs still there..
Didn't realize the Nokian made bike tires. I have a set of winter tires for the Audi from them ... and four or so of their mobile phones. I'm quite impressed with all of their products.
Old 08-18-12, 07:26 PM
kiltedcelt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so I'm gettin' pretty good mileage from my back tires. I guess I'll just get another Conti to replace my worn out one.
Old 08-20-12, 11:03 AM
Hopslam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a very old set of contacts . They were new then I got my last used tandem. Hated them on the tandem. But their great on the cyclecross / commuter , I trail ride them & love them on gravel. They have 2000 mi on them & show hardly any ware . I'd say they'd go 4000 mi w/ rotation. I know they are a different tire than you have now as I believe they have changed at least 2x in the last 20yrs. 2800 mi. still great tho. The things are sure heavy.
One more thing , guy showed me a Bontrager Hardcase the other day with 10,000 (claimed mi.) the thing reminded me of the old semi- pneumatic tires of yesterday , liked like you could run them flat

Cheers