Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Quick questions and answers

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Quick questions and answers

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-17, 10:26 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I have the been in the school of thought that if you are riding clipless and your knees hurt, there is either a cleat issue or the saddle height is off. What kind of pedals are you running? And with the cleats, if you are running an mtb style pedal like EggBeaters or SPD's, even a slight adjustment of the cleat angle can make all the difference in the world.
I ride with Speedplay Zero pedals/cleats. I believe they're so named because of their zero-resistance float. You can adjust their range (heel in and heel out limits), and within that range your foot has unrestricted movement. One reason I chose this setup is because of the conventional belief that solid (no-float) clipless pedals can cause chronic knee problems. I don't know if they actually do, but I trust that these won't hurt my knees, and I'm really happy with them on two of my bikes. FWIW, I wear Fizik shoes, and I'm very pleased with them too.

klhada, I hope you get it figured out. There's nothing wrong with toe straps, but clipless is so much better overall.
Old 01-23-17, 03:12 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'd go Cutthroat if you're looking at singletrack style riding, maybe some bikepacking, more gnarly trails.

I'd go Warbird if you were just looking for a gravel bike for fireroads, light touring, less gnarly trails.

The Cutthroat looks like you could throw flat bars on it and ride it like a mtb if you wanted to, but turning those huge tires on light gravel or bike trails would get old fast and I'd want something speedier.

Old 02-17-17, 09:51 AM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Anyone know if the Sram doubletap brake hoods will fit on the S500s? I can't seem to find replacements online.
Old 02-17-17, 02:41 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by franswa
Anyone know if the Sram doubletap brake hoods will fit on the S500s? I can't seem to find replacements online.
Yes they will, you need the non-hydro version.

Both the smooth hoods from the 10-speed generation (originally supplied) and the newer 22 hoods (with the textured top webbing) will fit.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 02-17-17, 04:35 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Can anyone attest to whether a 55 or 58 cm Bianchi San Jose is a better fit for a 6'-tall, shorter legged, longer torso person? I swear that bike has the most perplexing geometry on the planet.
Old 02-17-17, 05:07 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
*looks at geometry chart* ...Pass.
Old 02-17-17, 05:09 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
^Yep, it's a head scratcher.
Old 02-17-17, 05:35 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
Yes they will, you need the non-hydro version.

Both the smooth hoods from the 10-speed generation (originally supplied) and the newer 22 hoods (with the textured top webbing) will fit.
Ah thank you. Textured might be worth a try.
Old 02-18-17, 12:53 AM
SDROADIE

Bikes: Bianchi Premio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sugino 75 bb race

I'm missing a race for the sugino 75bb...can I pack the bb with loose ball bearings without the race? Would that mess up the spindle?

Worst case scenario I buy the tange bb or sugino 75 sealed bb....but this would save me money if I can pack without the race.
Old 02-18-17, 02:14 AM
scoho

Bikes: steel track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SDROADIE
I'm missing a race for the sugino 75bb...can I pack the bb with loose ball bearings without the race? Would that mess up the spindle?

Worst case scenario I buy the tange bb or sugino 75 sealed bb....but this would save me money if I can pack without the race.
You're missing a cage, not a race. The race is the grooved surface (in the case of loose bearings: one in the cup, one on the cone) that the balls roll against.

You can install a loose ball bottom bracket without cages, no problem. You just need to use plenty of grease to hold the balls in place in the cup during installation. The only catch is that you have to add extra balls (I think two*, in the case of the Sugino) to make up for the extra space left over since the cage fingers are no longer taking up space between the balls. The good news is that you can buy top of the line grade 25 balls cheaply and easily, for example here. Go ahead and replace all the balls at once instead of adding to the old balls; otherwise you risk uneven rolling/wear with a mixed set.

*You want about one ball's width left over when the balls are packed around the cup race.

Last edited by scoho; 02-18-17 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-18-17, 09:53 AM
SDROADIE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scoho
You're missing a cage, not a race. The race is the grooved surface (in the case of loose bearings: one in the cup, one on the cone) that the balls roll against.

You can install a loose ball bottom bracket without cages, no problem. You just need to use plenty of grease to hold the balls in place in the cup during installation. The only catch is that you have to add extra balls (I think two*, in the case of the Sugino) to make up for the extra space left over since the cage fingers are no longer taking up space between the balls. The good news is that you can buy top of the line grade 25 balls cheaply and easily, for example here. Go ahead and replace all the balls at once instead of adding to the old balls; otherwise you risk uneven rolling/wear with a mixed set.

*You want about one ball's width left over when the balls are packed around the cup race.
Thank you for the correction. I already bought 20ct 1'4" grade 10 loose ball bearings about a week ago. So you're saying I should replace the bearings on the other cage as well? Good to know that I'm able to pack it without the cage.

Is white lighting grease okay to pack the bearings in the bb?
Old 02-18-17, 05:52 PM
scoho

Bikes: steel track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, I thought you still had the balls from the missing race (dunno why I thought that), so I meant to totally replace them instead of just adding to them on that side. It's not strictly necessary to replace the balls on the other side, but I probably would. In fact, I'd probably go cageless on that side too, to keep things balanced.

You just want a good, waterproof grease, so White Lightning will work well. Good luck!
Old 02-19-17, 12:05 AM
SDROADIE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scoho
Ah, I thought you still had the balls from the missing race (dunno why I thought that), so I meant to totally replace them instead of just adding to them on that side. It's not strictly necessary to replace the balls on the other side, but I probably would. In fact, I'd probably go cageless on that side too, to keep things balanced.

You just want a good, waterproof grease, so White Lightning will work well. Good luck!
Ah good call on the cage less on the other side! Thanks again scoho! I'll see what I can do haha
Old 02-22-17, 11:25 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
what are the tools I need to buy in order to take apart and service an older threaded headset? I tried a quick google search and even parktool's site but it wasn't explicit plus they basically ignored the "threaded" word in my search.
Old 02-22-17, 11:36 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
what are the tools I need to buy in order to take apart and service an older threaded headset? I tried a quick google search and even parktool's site but it wasn't explicit plus they basically ignored the "threaded" word in my search.
Depends on how fancy you want to get. You can buy headset wrenches in the specific size of you top lock nut, or you can get away with using a large crescent (adjustable) wrench. Some of the top races have wrench flats of a different size than the lock nut so you need a wrench to hold that as well (during assembly). But some top races have knurled edges instead of wrench flats, and those can be held with a big pair of channel locks.
Old 02-22-17, 11:53 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Most likely you will need a 32mm spanner for the upper adjustable cup, such as the Park HCW-15, which also has a 36mm at the other end. As squid said, just use a large crescent wrench for the top lock nut.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 02-22-17, 12:05 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Hmm, when I brought my bike in to the shop to get the headset inspected and replaced, i coulda swore i saw him use some sort of hook shaped tool with a notch on the end to loosen something (lockring of some sort?)

Was also thinking of getting this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2RNBXAVQ4OOHG
which should be helpful for pretty much everything, yes? Or is having a individual blue handled one of each more elegant?
Old 02-22-17, 12:11 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Those wrenches are for working on your hubs and are way too small for your headset. Did you read my post ?

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 02-22-17, 12:16 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

I did but wasn't looking at numbers apparently. Duly noted. (we still need the small wrenches for both mine and my wife's wheels though heh)
Old 02-22-17, 12:42 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Hmm, when I brought my bike in to the shop to get the headset inspected and replaced, i coulda swore i saw him use some sort of hook shaped tool with a notch on the end to loosen something (lockring of some sort?)

Was also thinking of getting this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2RNBXAVQ4OOHG
which should be helpful for pretty much everything, yes? Or is having a individual blue handled one of each more elegant?

Yeah those are for your hub cones. They are made very thin for that purpose. They don't hold up well to being cranked on, so don't use those for regular nuts.
Old 02-23-17, 02:47 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

need a new SS freewheel. 17t i think. i only have experience with my ACS crossfire that the LBS got for me. what other brands are out there and readily avialable? amazon prime is helpful.
Old 02-23-17, 02:57 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Can we get a picture? There are many different kinds of old threaded headsets and not all of them use the 32mm. As you have seen, your mechanic had to use a lockring wrench on it. And as Squidpuppet said, some don't even have wrench flats. But you say you want to replace it, so this may mean nothing because a new headset will take the 32mm wrench.
Old 02-23-17, 03:11 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by hairnet
Can we get a picture? There are many different kinds of old threaded headsets and not all of them use the 32mm. As you have seen, your mechanic had to use a lockring wrench on it. And as Squidpuppet said, some don't even have wrench flats. But you say you want to replace it, so this may mean nothing because a new headset will take the 32mm wrench.
I will take a pic when I get it back from the LBS. They are currently replacing the headset. But I want to be able to do it in the future, and I also have another even older threaded one (1974 Raleigh - project bike) that I will need to service in the coming months.
Old 02-23-17, 04:14 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
And as Squidpuppet said, some don't even have wrench flats.
This reminds me of Shimano's headsets with scalloped locknuts which I had to deal with recently.

You can actually do this with the 32mm end of either the HCW-7/-15, no need to buy the obscure specific tool. Just don't hamfist it.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 02-23-17, 04:26 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Since I'm upgrading my entire drivetrain, what would make a good, servicable 1/8" chain with a quicklink?

(time to stop talking about this and place the order already!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.