Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Posting photos

Old 11-24-19, 08:45 AM
Kiss4aFrog

Bikes: older Murray 10 spd mountain

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Posting photos

People seek out a forum usually out of need. They have a problem and they are looking for help. In most cases photos are a big help in identifying what's wrong. IMHO forcing the person who's looking for help make 10 posts before they can put up that photo is a little counter productive. Think about you having a problem and you go to a forum that can likely help and you have a photo of something broken but don't know what it is. You register, confirm your registration, start a new thread, try to explain your problem and attach a picture or two only to find out after spending 15-25 minutes doing all this you can't post the photo with your description. In my case I'm trying to ID a manufacturer so if I can't post the photo there isn't any way anyone is going to be able to help me.
It's a little frustrating.
Old 11-24-19, 08:54 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts
Kiss4aFrog, welcome to Bike Forums.

After finding your post I thought I’d take a minute to explain to you why you can’t post a picture yet. We are by far the largest bicycle themed forum in the world. And therefore we are a ripe target for spammers to attempt to advertise their wares. In an effort to reduce the amount of spam that we have to deal with we have instituted a number of things.

One of which is withholding new forum members from posting pictures or links until they have made 10 posts. That gives the moderation staff enough time to sort out most of the spammers from the real forum members. Another measure we have installed is a 5 posts in 24 hours limit to new forum members. Once you get past 10 posts both of those restrictions are automatically removed.

Forums want new threads and posts and welcome new forum members. This may upset some people and they may vent about it. An easy way to get your post count up is to go to our Introductions forum and introduce yourself. Then maybe take a couple of minutes and greet some other new forum members.

Thank you.

cb400bill
Forum Moderator
Old 11-25-19, 10:54 AM
Kiss4aFrog

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Every forum has to deal with spam I just haven't run into this much resistance to a new person posting on any other site (yet). As an Admin on a Volvo site and a Moderator on some others and an average joe on quite a few I know the value of the little red button with the exclamation point in the bottom left of each post here. I field my share of reported posts daily and in my control panel on those sites I moderate I can delete a post, thread or person. Doesn't take much time, it's just maintenance.
That said you should consider the members you'll never have who come here, run into that 10 post restriction or the 5 per 24 hrs, say nothing and just go away to the second or third largest bicycle themed forum.
I'm sorry if I sound old and cranky but it's partly from frustration and I am old and cranky
I'll have my ten today so I'll hopefully be able to do an 11th with a photo of the tandem that FBOATSB graciously posted for me. I was surprised to see it as I'm not sure how it ended up in the gallery.
I've looked through the forums a couple times, is there one for tandems ?
Old 11-25-19, 10:56 AM
Kiss4aFrog

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm getting closer, FBOATSB just replied with a link to the tandem section

Old 11-29-19, 03:59 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Welcome and you are now go for it! I hope to see your posts soon!
Old 12-03-19, 12:26 PM
akbjornberg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It seems I’m only allowed to post twice per 24 hours, not five times? I’m posting this to check.

Edit: oh I guess I do get more than two posts. I swear I got an error message when I tried to post a third time the other day.
Old 12-04-19, 02:16 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18348 Post(s)
Liked 4,498 Times in 3,344 Posts
Originally Posted by akbjornberg
It seems I’m only allowed to post twice per 24 hours, not five times? I’m posting this to check.

Edit: oh I guess I do get more than two posts. I swear I got an error message when I tried to post a third time the other day.
It should be 5 posts a day until you reach > 10 posts. You're awfully close!!!

But, if say you only post 2 posts the first day, then you still only get 5 the second day (7 total).

The tech savvy users can often find photos that were uploaded to a user's album, but weren't allowed to be attached to the message.

@Kiss4aFrog's Album: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/509241
@akbjornberg's Album: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/509508

I hunt for the albums by going to the user's profile, and copying the user number, then going to my personal gallery, and changing the user number in the URL.
Old 12-04-19, 02:18 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
That's not really an album, it's the list of all your attachments.
Old 12-04-19, 02:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18348 Post(s)
Liked 4,498 Times in 3,344 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
That's not really an album, it's the list of all your attachments.
That is where the current message attachments go (thus finding photos that newbies didn't know existed). But, it is also an album. In my case, I've created several albums to help sort my photos.

Unfortunately I had also done that earlier, before an update a few years ago, and all that sorting was lost.