Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2020 Trek Hybrids - Verve 3, FX 3, Dual Sport 3

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2020 Trek Hybrids - Verve 3, FX 3, Dual Sport 3

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-19, 07:04 PM
LeoGrand

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2 XL, 2020 Trek Dual Sport 4 XL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Really like that stem!
Old 08-25-19, 07:15 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
From what I understand, quill stems are actually more expensive for manufacturers to produce for at least two reasons:
  1. You have to thread the exterior of the steer tube (threadless just leaves the steer tube smooth).
  2. You have to have multiple steer tube lengths, corresponding with multiple head tube lengths (threadless could theoretically use just one fork part number and cut the long steer tube to length).
I think there is usually a weight penalty for quill stems (at least with the oversize 1-1/8" adjustable ones we see on some hybrids today), and you also have the long-term potential for corrosion to set in, locking the stem in place (this is usually a decades-long process, combined with poor maintenance).

There are definitely pros and cons to both approaches, threaded/quill and threadless.
Old 08-25-19, 07:41 AM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I have had an opportunity now to ride the Verve 3 and FX3 several different times . Around 100 miles on both Bikes : The Verve is a far better choice for an aging Rider : Regardless of the shape your in.

In a race of 200-300 yards . Fresh off the Start . The FX3 is probably a little faster Sprinter: BuTTTTTT for endurance and several miles : The verve will get there first because it's not as fatiguing to ride. Especially when you start to tire near the end of the ride

The Verve is a much smoother ride. So over all it really does end up allowing quicker and longer rides without getting wore out : Muscles you haven't used can be re-conditioned : Buttt Regardless of Tone you have old bones
Likes For Rick53:
Old 08-26-19, 09:59 AM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
Thanks for your input Rick. You have made my bike upgrade a much easier decision!
Old 08-26-19, 11:42 AM
Rick53

Originally Posted by coopman
Thanks for your input Rick. You have made my bike upgrade a much easier decision!
Make sure to post us a Photo or 2 :
Old 08-26-19, 06:40 PM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
I will, after I make the purchase. It may not happen for a while yet though.
Old 08-27-19, 08:09 AM
LeoGrand

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2 XL, 2020 Trek Dual Sport 4 XL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick53
I have had an opportunity now to ride the Verve 3 and FX3 several different times . Around 100 miles on both Bikes : The Verve is a far better choice for an aging Rider : Regardless of the shape your in.

In a race of 200-300 yards . Fresh off the Start . The FX3 is probably a little faster Sprinter: BuTTTTTT for endurance and several miles : The verve will get there first because it's not as fatiguing to ride. Especially when you start to tire near the end of the ride

The Verve is a much smoother ride. So over all it really does end up allowing quicker and longer rides without getting wore out : Muscles you haven't used can be re-conditioned : Buttt Regardless of Tone you have old bones
Yep.. Verve 3 very good bike!
Old 08-28-19, 08:51 AM
Rick53

My 2020 FX3 is definitely harder to pedal then My friends 2020 Verve 3 . We went for a short 10 mile ride yesterday : When we do that we go as fast as we can , to get the most out of the Ride. At the end of the ride I hopped on the Verve and it felt like I was just starting a fresh ride. It's definitely quite a bit easier to pedal then My FX3 . It's Got the same Chaining and Crank yet fell like less force is needed to get going and keep going. I suppose there's a possibility the factory over tightened my crank or something. But how would you ever know.

As it is now The Verve 3 is definitely less fatiguing : I can imagine a long ride would make that more obvious yet.

I'm actually disappointed . As I figured of the 3 Trek Hybrids The FX3 Should be the easiest : It's not though : Tires might make a slight difference : Although I currently have a Set of Bontrager H5 in 38's on it .

Maybe to get teh most out of the FX3 you need to stick with the tire size it was originally configured for.
Old 08-28-19, 09:33 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I would suggest there may be something unique going on there. Either a mechanical issue with the FX or a unique body geometry you have that works better with the Verve. Generally speaking, more laid-back seat tube angles and more upright seating positions, like the Verve has, are less efficient at putting power through the drivetrain than a more forward position and more vertical alignment over the crank. For most people, their hips and muscles just aren't lined up as well in an upright position or positioned further rearward of the crank centerline. For example, I have a Verve (a 2015 Verve 3), and can say with a high degree of certainty that I'm not very efficient on that bike. Its drivetrain is mechanically very smooth and without unnecessary friction, but my body positioning just isn't right for putting the watts down. My Roam and MTB both have me over the pedals more and it feels more natural (and more efficient) to power pedal.

It could be that your FX has some inefficiency in its drivetrain (perhaps a really stiff chain or bottom bracket or similar), or it could be that your body just fits the Verve better. It's not common for that type of bike to feel more efficient to a rider, but we're all different and have different shapes and strengths.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 08-28-19, 11:22 AM
Rick53

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I would suggest there may be something unique going on there. Either a mechanical issue with the FX or a unique body geometry you have that works better with the Verve. Generally speaking, more laid-back seat tube angles and more upright seating positions, like the Verve has, are less efficient at putting power through the drivetrain than a more forward position and more vertical alignment over the crank. For most people, their hips and muscles just aren't lined up as well in an upright position or positioned further rearward of the crank centerline. For example, I have a Verve (a 2015 Verve 3), and can say with a high degree of certainty that I'm not very efficient on that bike. Its drivetrain is mechanically very smooth and without unnecessary friction, but my body positioning just isn't right for putting the watts down. My Roam and MTB both have me over the pedals more and it feels more natural (and more efficient) to power pedal.

It could be that your FX has some inefficiency in its drivetrain (perhaps a really stiff chain or bottom bracket or similar), or it could be that your body just fits the Verve better. It's not common for that type of bike to feel more efficient to a rider, but we're all different and have different shapes and strengths.
We just went for another Ride : 15 Miles : Surprised I didn't realize this before : The FX3 is 2 1/4 inch shorter From the Seat to the Stem : I'm 6' tall with 34 inch Arms : The Bike is to small > With the Current Crank Arms My knees almost hit the underside of the Handle Bars : It was really obvious watching My friend who is 2 inches taller with 80 Plus Pounds more weight riding it.

I have ridden older FX3's and they didn't seem this compact as this 2020 does :

So My Choices are Sell it and Buy a Verve 3 or invest it a longer Stem and Shorter Crank Arms : Which may or may not solve the problem We rode at avg Speed of 14.1 -16 MPH. On the way Out I had trouble keeping up with My Buddy : We swapped Bikes on teh way back . I dusted him : Which I should be able to. I weigh Less and I'm in Shape He's over weight and doesn't work out . Although he is a Few Years Younger :

The Tube specs length are 56 vs 60 . It's just to compact for me > I either need the XL Frame or a different Bike

Last edited by Rick53; 08-28-19 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-29-19, 01:06 AM
Sialala

Bikes: Trek FX 3 Disc 2020

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We just went for another Ride : 15 Miles : Surprised I didn't realize this before : The FX3 is 2 1/4 inch shorter From the Seat to the Stem : I'm 6' tall with 34 inch Arms : The Bike is to small > With the Current Crank Arms My knees almost hit the underside of the Handle Bars : It was really obvious watching My friend who is 2 inches taller with 80 Plus Pounds more weight riding it.
(...) I either need the XL Frame or a different Bike
I'd say you got FX3 in wrong size. Did you try different sizes at the bike shop before you bought it? I'm 6'3" and XL is perfect for me with saddle raised quite a lot. I've tried XXL as well and it was also quite comfortable, but because I needed to put child seat on the bike, the XL was easier to hop on with the seat mounted.
Verve bikes are not available in Ireland, so I never tried any of them, but I've tried Giant Escape in XL and it just didn't feel right, although I think the seat was slightly better. FX3 and Escape in size L were way too small for me.
Old 08-29-19, 06:23 AM
Rick53

Originally Posted by Sialala
I'd say you got FX3 in wrong size. Did you try different sizes at the bike shop before you bought it? I'm 6'3" and XL is perfect for me with saddle raised quite a lot. I've tried XXL as well and it was also quite comfortable, but because I needed to put child seat on the bike, the XL was easier to hop on with the seat mounted.<br />Verve bikes are not available in Ireland, so I never tried any of them, but I've tried Giant Escape in XL and it just didn't feel right, although I think the seat was slightly better. FX3 and Escape in size L were way too small for me.
No I didn't try other sizes : But the Bike definitely doesn't give me enough room to pedal. They didn't have an XL in stock. Nobody really fit me. They just rolled out the Bike and I bought it. Guess I should have insisted on trying some other sizes .<br /><br />My boys Dual Sport (Which is a Bigger Bike Length wise, fits just fine:<br /><br />Unfortunately in Michigan none of the Trek Stores participate in the Trade in Program : So I'll have to eat a couple hundred and try to sell it outright . Probably limited to Local sales However Plan to list it in Market Place

Last edited by Rick53; 08-29-19 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-29-19, 10:53 AM
Roger Ramjet

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crockett 5, Crockett 7, 2016 Specialized Crux E5 Sport, 2016 Salsa Warbird 105, 2017 Trek Boone 5, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2019 Trek Checkpoint SL5, 2021 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2023 Trek Checkpoint SL5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
No I didn't try other sizes : But the Bike definitely doesn't give me enough room to pedal. They didn't have an XL in stock. Nobody really fit me. They just rolled out the Bike and I bought it. Guess I should have insisted on trying some other sizes .<br /><br />My boys Dual Sport (Which is a Bigger Bike Length wise, fits just fine:<br /><br />Unfortunately in Michigan none of the Trek Stores participate in the Trade in Program : So I'll have to eat a couple hundred and try to sell it outright . Probably limited to Local sales However Plan to list it in Market Place
Rick, don't know where you are in Michigan, but the American Cycle And Fitness stores in the metro Detroit and Lansing areas definitely DID take trade-ins. At least they did as of a year ago. They are Trek-only dealers. If you are close enough to either of those two areas, I'd call and ask.

Granted, don't expect a lot on trade-in. You would probably be ahead to list it.
Old 08-29-19, 11:42 AM
Rick53

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjet
Rick, don't know where you are in Michigan, but the American Cycle And Fitness stores in the metro Detroit and Lansing areas definitely DID take trade-ins. At least they did as of a year ago. They are Trek-only dealers. If you are close enough to either of those two areas, I'd call and ask.

Granted, don't expect a lot on trade-in. You would probably be ahead to list it.
I actually called them. They told me if it's indeed less then a month old and a 2020 I can produce a receipt for . They'd give me $600 against anything of equal or more value. For that I may as well let someone if they want a deal have it Rather then a Dealer who will maybe discount it $50.00 : Keep in mind they said that price was subject to change based on inspection : But it's New : The original tires have no miles at all > I swapped them for 35C right away : So tires I'd re-install are NEW
Old 08-30-19, 06:19 AM
ilanshanon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a 2020 Verve 2 for my RV trips, since I don't like putting my $4500 carbon Cervello roadbike on the back of the trailer, plus I encounter gravel paths on these trips. So as one that's used to riding a bike that sprints like a gazelle, I was pleasantly surprised at the performance of the Verve. I put dual platform pedals on the verve so that I can either ride it to the local coffee shop, or get a full on workout with clipless riding. I LOVE the Verve. It frees me from worrying about potholes and cracks on the pavement, I can go on non-paved packed roads, it's smoother, and the riding position lets me take in the scenery. So I find myself rotating between my road bike and the Verve, getting two different experiences and a great workout on either. My average speed on the Verve is about 3-4 miles slower than the road bike, but I find that climbing takes equal effort between the two bikes. That's because the road bike is lighter, but the Verve is geared lower.
Old 08-30-19, 01:46 PM
stuman74

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Do you guys know if these Ergon GP1 grips will fit on the 2020 FX 3 handlebars? I'd be transferring from my 2015 and I like them a little more since I'm used to them. They are a bit larger than the stock IsoZone grips on there I thought I read somewhere that the Trek IsoZone bar is slightly different in diameter or something and standard grips may not fit. Thought I'd check this forum before messing with taking them off. Thanks!

https://ergonbike.com/en/product.php...uring-42410005
Old 10-31-19, 11:55 AM
WarrenR

Bikes: 2005 Peugeot Evasion 2019 Trek Verve

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Bought a 2019 Trek Verve 2 XL in April. Just about to roll over 6000 kms and the rear tire is starting to show some wear but the front looks new. Got it outfitted the way it is from the LBS, only changes I made after were the seat, grips, mirror and the handlebars. The rear bag double times on my road bike too. Run 40 psi front and rear, played with pressures and this seems to be the sweet spot for these tires. Very happy with the purchase.

Old 02-11-20, 01:03 PM
zebra6331

Bikes: 2020 Verve 3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in the same decision mode. I'm 54, and really leaning towards the Verve 3. Most of my riding is on rail to trails, even in Michigan. Any other thoughts now that you've owned bike for sometime.
Old 04-24-20, 08:53 AM
JJM7288

Bikes: Trek Verve3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New this forum and reviving an old thread. I decided to replace my 10 year old 7.5 FX with something more comfortable and upright. I'm 57 and ride on railtrails, paved and gravel and rural paved roads.

Three years ago I bought my wife a Electra Tricino 20D (step through) so she could continue riding after back surgery. She loves it and well, I do too. Unfortunately the 20D is no longer available. I did find a Tricino 8D NOS on ebay and thought about buying it. Before clicking "buy it now" I decided to visit mu local shop and see current hybrid bikes.

Bike shopping in the COVID-19 world is different for sure. (gloves, mask, they bring the bikes out, hand sanitizer, the drill).

So I test ride the Electra Loft 7D, nice upright bike, comfortable, light. If I were to buy the Loft, it would be the 7i which is not available until June, July, ???.

Next test ride is the Verve 3 Disk. It felt great but the frame is medium size and I'm between medium and large. I buy my daughter's Loft 7D an d go on my way.

Research on this forum Rick 53 and Warren R (specifically) lead me to try a large frame. I go back and the only large frame model is 2019 (no disc brakes) but great fit!

There is another shop in town (they equipped our home gym) and they had two large frames Verve 3 in stock (at their warehouse). I ordered it while sitting in their parking lot.

Next week it will be ready. I/m having fenders, rack and computer installed.

Thanks for the help!