Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Timing Ring sizes

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Timing Ring sizes

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-20, 12:08 PM
SimplySycles1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
Timing Ring sizes

Hello all,

We have an old Trek tandem that has finally worn out all the drivetrain. It is from the early '90s and we picked it up 10 years ago with about 500 miles on it at that point. Since then we have run the wheels off it.

My question is simple most tandems that have chains for timing (not belts) seem to use 38 T or larger rings, ours included. 36 T rings are much cheaper as are chainguards that we want to add.

Any reason not to use smaller rings other than wear out time? Bigger rings would be smoother in theory anything else?

thanks
Ruben in So Cal
Old 02-11-20, 02:43 PM
unikid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
36 should be fine.

Off-road tandem teams have been known to run even smaller ones for better ground clearance, etc.

Regardless what size you choose, you can periodically swap the front and rear rings to get more life out of them.

Here is another thread with people discussing timing ring size: https://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cy...oth-count.html

Last edited by unikid; 02-11-20 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Additional link
Likes For unikid:
Old 02-11-20, 08:25 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Smaller timing rings = shorter chain = less weight 😀
Old 02-11-20, 10:44 PM
joeruge

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
36 tooth timing chain should work fine. Though theroretically you could go even smaller, it's not a practical way of saving weight, or possibly even cost of components. As the chainrings get smaller, chain tension goes up. So, parts do wear a little faster, including bottom brackets. This isn't a major factor at 36t, but it might be worth adding it to your cost calculations. Of course, I wouldn't know how to!
Old 02-27-20, 10:59 PM
gravelslider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by joeruge
36 tooth timing chain should work fine. Though theroretically you could go even smaller, it's not a practical way of saving weight, or possibly even cost of components. As the chainrings get smaller, chain tension goes up. So, parts do wear a little faster, including bottom brackets. This isn't a major factor at 36t, but it might be worth adding it to your cost calculations. Of course, I wouldn't know how to!
As far as I know chain tension is set by measuring chain sag, which is indepedent of chain ring size.
Old 02-28-20, 08:45 AM
lichtgrau

Bikes: (Ti) Rabbit "soulmate" plus half a dozen "half bikes"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
36T works perfectly for us. Since we have not too much clearance, I sometimes like the little extra space of a smaller chainring
(when rolling over some "sharp bumps").
When building our bike I experimented also with 38T and I really doubt whether one can sense a difference in torque between 36 and 38...

...and if the 36T chainring is only 10% cheaper than the 38T, the (theoretically) bigger wear is definitely overcompensated ;-)

Last edited by lichtgrau; 02-28-20 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-28-20, 11:22 AM
joeruge

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelslider
As far as I know chain tension is set by measuring chain sag, which is indepedent of chain ring size.
I was referring to the tension and load on the chain and chainrings while pedaling. Because of the mechanical advantage of the crank, the load on the components in a normal setup of say 42 teeth, is about twice as much as the pedaling force.

As the chainrings get smaller, the mechanical advantage of the cranks increases. You really can't get a chainring smaller than, I think 32t, so the mechanical advantage and the load on components is probably not going to exceed 2.5.

However, in an extreme and ridiculous example, someone with access to a machine shop and a vivid imagination might get the idea of machining a set of timing chain cranks to accept a really tiny chainring or even a modified rear cog, the thinking being that this could be a way of saving a few grams. At the same time this could cause chain tension go up 3 or 4 times pedaling force.

We can agree that this is a crazy idea and that no one, not even the most extreme 'weight weanie' would try to do this. I mention this only to say that, while pedaling, as chainrings get smaller, chain tension goes up, and so does wear on components.
Old 02-29-20, 08:33 AM
WheelsNT

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
If you are powerful and have problems with frame flex from pedaling loads, you can reduce this by going to a larger timing ring.