Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

I need help because I’m stupid

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 02-18-20, 12:28 PM
Imbigdumb6969

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me start off by saying I’m dumb. Any ways to my question will my Paul royal flush crank set be compatible with Sugino 75 square taper crank arms sealed cartridge bottom bracket 68 mm? And then my second question is are all axel diameters usually the same size because I don’t want to drop 300usd on wheels that don’t fit. I have the affinity low pro frame set.
Old 02-18-20, 12:46 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
Theres a few kinds of taper on square taper bottom brackets. JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) is the most common.

Will your square taper crankarm fit a square taper bottom bracket? Probably. Sugino is Japanese, & I don't think Paul makes anything not JIS.

Where you are more likely to run into issues is if the crank arms hit the chainstays or the chain ring sits too far away from the bikes centerline. Bottom bracket width is usually the go-to solution for either case, but it *may* not always fix all issues between all components. Just FYI.

As far as axles, A lot depends. There have been a lot of standards over the years. Measure the spacing between the dropouts inside edge to inside edge. The front is usually 100mm. The rear may be 120, 126, 130, 135mm or wider.

What you want is a wheel with an OLD (Over Locknut Dimension) that matches your frame. Be aware some frames were intentionally built between standards. If your frame measures 123mm or 132.5mm between the rear drop outs, that is a valid measurement & your frame is designed to able to use either/or. A 123mm measurement can use (120/126) or a 132.5mm measure ment can use (130/135mm) with out issue.

In addition to width, make sure the axle type is the same. Thru-axle goes with thru-axle (of the same diameter), Quick release goes with quich release. Boost goes with boost.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by base2; 02-18-20 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-18-20, 01:10 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
You aren't stupid and you did come here for suggestions, so there it that. Better late than never. I copied this off of the Sheldon Brown website. It confirms that the cranks should be compatible.

ISO square taper spindles run longer, and taper down to a smaller end than J.I.S. spindles do. Most European-made square-taper cranks and bottom brackets use the ISO dimensions.ISO models include:
  • Campagnolo
  • Older Stronglight
  • Nervar
  • TA
  • Japanese N.J.S. track parts, such as Sugino 75
Then there is this, relating directly to the Royal Flush cranks...taken from a dealer's website...

Bottom Bracket
Bottom Bracket Size (Required/Not Included): - 111mm Square Taper ISO
Chainline: Standard 44mm Chainline

The issue you might have is the length of the spindle, and whether it provides for the correct chainline and also allows the chain ring to clear the chain stay.

I'll let someone else address the wheel question. There are a lot of variables, but most are going to be workable.
Old 02-18-20, 01:17 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Re: bottom bracket -- I dunno
Re: wheel axles -- they're not 100% standard, but they're pretty much standard. Probably any track wheelset you're looking at will work with the Affinity.
Old 02-18-20, 01:28 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
TugaDude Hey, I learned something. Thanks!

To the OP: I Checked Paul Components website & all I say was chainrings. What crank arms were you planning on using?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm the big dummy. They make the whole thing.
Old 02-18-20, 02:42 PM
Imbigdumb6969

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much I was very concerned that I wasted my money on a bottom bracket that wouldn’t fit. your info eased my nerves.
Old 02-18-20, 03:20 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
TugaDude Hey, I learned something. Thanks!

To the OP: I Checked Paul Components website & all I say was chainrings. What crank arms were you planning on using?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm the big dummy. They make the whole thing.
Glad it was helpful. But "posthumous" thanks go to Mr. Brown. His work endures long after his passing.
Old 02-19-20, 02:46 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Paul cranks are meant for use with an ISO taper BB.