Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello all from Michigan

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello all from Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-20, 10:06 PM
areyes163

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello all from Michigan

Hello all. I am new. Thought I would say hi.

Last year I got into cycling at 36. Started as my wife and I getting bikes to go on rides with my youngest daughter. I never thought I would fall in love with it.

We spent the whole summer trying to cycle as much as possible and wherever we could. Turns out my my family all enjoy it as much as I did.

I got the Verve 3 last year and just recently took a Trek DS out for a spin and loved it. I ended up selling my Verve 3 to my brother since he wants to get into cycling with his family and I purchased the DA 4 for myself.

My family and I are stoked to hit the trails as soon as the weather breaks here.

So in closing hello again and I look forward to learning as much as I can from everyone here as I’m very much a newbie.
Old 02-26-20, 05:02 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Welcome! Great family support you have for your newfound interest. I have two bikes, one of which is also a Trek DS and consider it my go anywhere, anytime bike.
Old 02-26-20, 05:16 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Welcome from Kalamazoo!
Old 02-26-20, 06:10 AM
areyes163

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Welcome! Great family support you have for your newfound interest. I have two bikes, one of which is also a Trek DS and consider it my go anywhere, anytime bike.
It definitely makes things more exciting when everyone is involved in cycling. It’s fun watching them plan also where they want to go and which trails to ride.
Old 02-26-20, 06:16 AM
areyes163

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Welcome from Kalamazoo!
Thank you. If we could get spring to arrive soon that be great lol. Enough with the snow lol.
Old 02-26-20, 08:11 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Originally Posted by areyes163
Thank you. If we could get spring to arrive soon that be great lol. Enough with the snow lol.
I concur. What part of Michigan are you from?
Old 02-26-20, 08:14 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Hello all from Michigan
Originally Posted by areyes163
Hello all. I am new. Thought I would say hi.

Last year I got into cycling at 36. Started as my wife and I getting bikes to go on rides with my youngest daughter. I never thought I would fall in love with it.

We spent the whole summer trying to cycle as much as possible and wherever we could. Turns out my my family all enjoy it as much as I did…

So in closing hello again and I look forward to learning as much as I can from everyone here as I’m very much a newbie.
Hi @areyes163

I noted this post, and wanted to reply as a Michigan native where I too got my start in cycling, in the East Side of Detroit:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Back in the 60’s in the Motor City, I had an “English Racer,’ and longed to tour at about age 14, but then joined the car culture. In Ann Arbor MI in the 70’s I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban, but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend, later my wife. We toured in Michigan and Ontario.

In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston…
I was dimly aware of a competitve racing culture even in Detroit in the 1970’s...though not interested in participating…Detroit did produce some National Champions, and Olympian cyclists in that era, including Sheila Young who I found out later grew up in my neighborhood.
…FWIW, after decades I still have fond memories of my earliest cycle touring in my home state of Michigan.

Tourism is, I believe Michigan’s second largest industry, and it’s largely a rural / forested state with a lengthy shoreline, an extensive road system, and numerous towns and facilities, including campgrounds, spaced at convenient cycling distances.

IMO, an excellent, though perhaps mundane getaway. Just sayin’

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-26-20 at 08:59 AM. Reason: corrected th OP's screen name, to mention
Old 02-26-20, 08:39 AM
areyes163

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cb400bill
I concur. What part of Michigan are you from?
I am from the Metro Detroit area. Eastpointe to be exact.
Likes For areyes163:
Old 02-28-20, 02:26 AM
Gardenburn
Satanic Mechanic

Bikes: Cross-muter, Soma Saga, Fat Bike, Gravel Gobbler, vintage Italian folder, '84 Trek 500 for sale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did a delightful tour across MI last autumn. From Lk Huron to Lk Michigan, took the SS Badger across, to WI. Pretty state!
Old 02-28-20, 05:48 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Gardenburn
I did a delightful tour across MI last autumn. From Lk Huron to Lk Michigan, took the SS Badger across, to WI. Pretty state!
What was your route?
Old 02-28-20, 03:52 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Welcome aboard! I'm out of the Brighton on the opposite end of the Metro Detroit area. EastPoint isn't a bad place either. It gets you within close range of one of my favorite routes, riding along Jeffries/Lake Shore drives. North of that gets you to Metro Beach, and South is easy access to Bell Isle, the Dequindre Cut, and the Riverwalk.
We still have about a month for the trails to dry up after the ground thaws up, but be sure to hit Island Lake R.A., Proud Lake, and Brighton R.A. trails. And there are so many other incredible choices in our area, like Potowatami, Maybury, Hickory Glen, etc...
I'm more of a roadie, but keep us informed of where you're riding and hopefully we'll bump into each other