Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-17, 01:02 PM
ed h

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 9 Posts
5 ft 9 in and went with a 17.5 DS3. Rode the 19 and it feel much larger, then again I'm used to mountain bikes with ample stand over clearance. Will be doing some light off roading with with the DS-3 so I prefer a little more stand over clearance.
Old 10-19-17, 03:42 PM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Been out of the loop since I've expanded my bike harem. But I still have my -13 ds 8.4 with rock shox trekking fork.

Planning to have a rear rack built longer to make a pseudo cargo bike out of it. It will take 2.2 29er tires. Anyone try a 650 b on one?
Old 10-20-17, 06:46 AM
The Snowman

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ed h
5 ft 9 in and went with a 17.5 DS3. Rode the 19 and it feel much larger, then again I'm used to mountain bikes with ample stand over clearance. Will be doing some light off roading with with the DS-3 so I prefer a little more stand over clearance.
I'm 5'11, with a 32" inseam and I chose a 19" DS3. For me, the 17.5" seemed much too small, mainly because I have a long torso and I prefer a longer (but seated upright) reach to the bars.
Old 10-25-17, 09:04 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Indoor trainer

I’m considering an indoor trainer for winter riding. I live in a warmish climate but am terrible at breathing. Anything much below 50 kills my lungs. I sound like a 5 pack a day smoked after a couple of miles on the bike. Last year I just hit the exercise bike at the gym, but that sucks. I’m also still rehabbing my hand so the indoor trainer would allow me to careful try and adapt to a better riding position. So I was thinking of getting a resistance trainer. I’ll have to buy a computer too and I know I’m not going to get top quality but I’d like to spend around $100. My DS specific questions: is the nobby stock tire going to be unbearably loud? I’ll mostly just be alone in my house but I don’t want to torture my dogs. I also have a rear rack and I’m wondering if it would Interfere with setting the bike on the trainer. I could remove it if I had to. Currently looking at the Conquor model on amazon.
Old 10-25-17, 05:14 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Brooke, you may wish to start a new thread, either in the hybrid section, or even in another BF section, to gain some more visibility.

I, too, am looking at a trainer for cold weather use. From what I understand, a trainer comes with a specific rear skewer that you install that will 1) hold the wheel at all times, just like a regular skewer, and 2) allow the bike to be attached to the trainer when you want to use it without swapping various parts all the time. A rear rack should not conflict with a trainer -- the rack should be completely above the level of the rear skewer.

I'm still learning about this, too. From what I've read, it's better to spend a little more on a trainer with a quick release rear flywheel, rather than the screw adjust mechanism like the Conquor model has. It seems to have good reviews, though, so maybe that advice I read is more of a theoretical consideration than a practical one.
Old 10-26-17, 10:17 AM
The Snowman

I recently picked up a set of used Kreitler 4.5” rollers from Craigslist, because I was intrigued by the balance aspect of this type of indoor trainer.

The good: Learning balance. The bike is upright without the need for an extra block under the front wheel. It’s a killer workout once you’re used to it. You need to find out whether a given set of rollers will fit the wheelbase of your DS. I bought a set of Performance rollers at first without checking and they turned out to be too short.

The bad: It May take some time to get used to for some. As you suspected, the knobby tires are a bit loud, but you learn to tune it out. The price of a set of Kreitler rollers is pretty steep. The set I have (https://www.kreitler.com/challenger/), retails at close to $500. I managed to snag the barely used set I found for just over 1/3 of the retail price. Other rollers start from under $100, but again you need to find wheelbase of your bike first and whether it would fit on a given set of rollers.

I am in the process of looking for a spare set of wheels to use for the trainer that I will mount slicks on. This will tune out the buzzing. If you won’t be using your bike outside at all during the winter, you could just get a pair of slicks to use.
Old 10-26-17, 01:58 PM
jase33

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 4, 2014 Niner RLT 9 [storage], K2 Shadow 9 [indoor trainer]

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@Brooke1687 I use a CycleOps Jet Fluid Pro with my DS4. I've never tried with the stock tire but when I used it with the Maxxis Rambler tires I have on the bike now it wasn't too loud but it sure makes a heck of a hum that changes pitch with speed. I got myself a cheap smooth tread Kenda tire to put on a second rim and swap wheels out when I use the trainer and it has been fine since.
Old 10-29-17, 07:08 AM
Brooke1687

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ROB DS
Regardless of the temperature, for all my rides I squirt a nasal spray (Ocean type) up each nostril first and then apply a thin layer of Vicks VapoRub around my nose to improve my breathing intake. I’ve also read that those that suffer difficulty breathing while cycling in the cold may have a mild case of Asthma or Bronchitis that’s only occurs while exercising in cooler climates. Good luck & great cycling.
I do have some mild asthma/reactive airway disorder. I have inhalers, which help some. The nasal spray is a great idea. I will try that.
Old 01-30-18, 06:48 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,972 Times in 1,918 Posts
I've been wondering the difference between the 2012 & 2013 Trek 8.3 DS bicycles? Mainly am looking to identify if their were any changes to the frame? Some information indicates cable routing & mounts were the only changes, but I have not been able to find pictures to back that up.
Lastly, I recall reading that 2012 was the last year for the 8.3 DS Gary Fisher edition as the 2013+ went to China.

Is there a way to use the WTU information on the BB to look up the bike's specs?
Old 02-10-18, 03:46 AM
kahuamp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone

My apologies for posting this already in the hybrid thread, I just realized there was a dedicated DS thread.

I ve just purchased a Trek 8.2 DS, second hand, from a reputed lbs in my area.

Having done some research on the components, I have stumbled upon the issue with Suntour forks (NEX are among the models) being recalled due to risk of injury ( the bolt connecting the lowers to the uppers can break causing your front wheel to come off of your bike.)

The serial numbers on the recalled forks begins with a “K” and ends with a number between 141101 and 150127.

(I hope) I am lucky enough, as the serial on my fork is CB 120 427, so it should not be among the faulty ones. Apparently, mine is a 2011 DS 8.2 model, and the issues start at 8.3 and upwards.
However, this has got me thinking, and I'm a bit shy to ride my bike, for fear that the fork might break in a crucial moment. I am new to cycling, maybe that is the reason.

I have tried to contact their support team, but they are out for the weekend.

Can anyone who has the Suntour forks on their bike give me some reassurance? Should I replace my fork ASAP, just to be safe? (maybe with a fixed one)
I must mention that I will mostly ride to and from work, on a rather short distance, maybe the occasional ride through the forest on Sundays . I am aware that the fork is an entry level, cheap object, and do not intend to put the bike under extreme pressure.

I cannot post photos or links due to me being new on the forum and having less than 10 posts. So if anyone decides to reply, please no private message, as I am unable to read those either, due to the same issue.
Thank you very much for your help
Old 02-10-18, 09:35 AM
Laurido92

Bikes: 2019 Pinarello Prince FX 2021 Pinarello Prince Disk Canyon Grizl CF SL

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You should be able to take it to any Trek store and they can verify if it needs to be replaced or not. That's what I did when I had mine. They checked and determined mine didn't fall on the recall group but they changed the quick release skewer as it was the recalled one at no charge.
Old 03-10-18, 08:30 PM
seallen

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek DS4

I have a Trek DS4 that I am trying to make faster. I have installed a RXL carbon bar and Pedaling wide platform pedals. My question is do they make a 50t chainring or crankset to fit my bike?
Attached Images
Old 03-12-18, 07:53 AM
The Snowman

Originally Posted by seallen
I have a Trek DS4 that I am trying to make faster. I have installed a RXL carbon bar and Pedaling wide platform pedals. My question is do they make a 50t chainring or crankset to fit my bike?
Are those the Pedaling Innovations Catalyst pedals? I recently grabbed a set of those (same red color) for my DS3 and have only had the chance to do rides on the rollers so far. A few late winter snowstorms have made sure of that.

What I did notice about the setup to use the pedals, is that I had to move my saddle a couple of mm forward and the post down a couple of mm, as the paperwork that came with the pedals said I may have to do. With the foot centered on the pedal spindle, and the saddle in the corrcet position, I was able to use my hamstrings and glutes more effectively and put down more power than with my previous flat pedals, where I was on the balls of my feet.

I can't wait to get the bike outside to try it with the new pedals.
Old 03-12-18, 07:58 AM
seallen

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pedaling Pedals

Originally Posted by The Snowman
Are those the Pedaling Innovations Catalyst pedals? I recently grabbed a set of those (same red color) for my DS3 and have only had the chance to do rides on the rollers so far. A few late winter snowstorms have made sure of that.

What I did notice about the setup to use the pedals, is that I had to move my saddle a couple of mm forward and the post down a couple of mm, as the paperwork that came with the pedals said I may have to do. With the foot centered on the pedal spindle, and the saddle in the corrcet position, I was able to use my hamstrings and glutes more effectively and put down more power than with my previous flat pedals, where I was on the balls of my feet.

I can't wait to get the bike outside to try it with the new pedals.
Love mine!! Feels way more secure than the factory pedals. I want to put a 48t or 50t on the front to get more speed. Not sure if this can be done.
Old 03-12-18, 08:14 AM
The Snowman

Love mine!! Feels way more secure than the factory pedals. I want to put a 48t or 50t on the front to get more speed. Not sure if this can be done.
To give you a speed perspective, on the rail trails, I'm usually on my upper ring, which is a 48 on the DS3. I can get 18mph on the 4th chainring gear, if I'm doing 100rpm crank cadence. I've had upwards of 21 on the 5th gear and 24 on the 6th gear. Both at 100rpm crank cadence. I'm using the DuoTrap cadence/speed sensor and it's been working nicely. I set the app to use the DuoTrap for speed only when I ride indoors and rely on GPS for outdoor speed. Both are using the Cyclemeter app.

As to whether it can be done, anything can be done, if you have the right amount of $$.
Old 03-15-18, 11:04 PM
kahuamp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Snowman
Finally finished with my modifications: 2017 Trek DS3 & hardware
Spank Spike Race 50mm riser bars
Bontrager Elite Blendr 90mm 25 degree stem
Ergon GP2 grips/bar ends
Selle Italia Gel Flow Man saddle
Xpedo Detox flat pedals
My LBS sells the same type of mirror, the only model they have in stock. I wanted to buy it at first but that long curved arm put me off, made me think that it might wiggle a lot on the road.

How stable is it, does it need constant adjustment, does it wiggle?
Old 03-19-18, 07:25 AM
The Snowman

Originally Posted by kahuamp
My LBS sells the same type of mirror, the only model they have in stock. I wanted to buy it at first but that long curved arm put me off, made me think that it might wiggle a lot on the road.

How stable is it, does it need constant adjustment, does it wiggle?
You adjust it to where you want it, then tighten down the allen set screw. Mine hasn't moved at all. It does vibrate slightly, but not enough to distort the view behind. I'm happy with it.
Old 03-22-18, 07:55 PM
Karmajack

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3, 2021 Felt Broam 30

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Greetings DSers. It's been a while since I've stopped by. Winter here in Ohio has kept me off the bike. I don't deal well in the cold, so the DS3 has been waiting patiently for spring to arrive. I'm getting quite anxious though. Itching to get on and ride. Gave her a good wipe down today. Cleaned and lubed the chain as best I could without making a mess on the carpet. Thinking about getting some helicopter tape for some slight rub spots I noticed. Replaced the battery in my Cateye. Modified my phone mount a bit. Put a large Oi bell on. Basically gave it some TLC and prep work for when the weather breaks. Doing some window shopping for any new accessories, upgrades, or items I could benefit from for this season's adventures. Looking forward to being back and more active on the bike and here. See you around.
Old 03-23-18, 06:49 AM
The Snowman

Originally Posted by Karmajack
Greetings DSers. It's been a while since I've stopped by. Winter here in Ohio has kept me off the bike. I don't deal well in the cold, so the DS3 has been waiting patiently for spring to arrive. I'm getting quite anxious though. Itching to get on and ride. Gave her a good wipe down today. Cleaned and lubed the chain as best I could without making a mess on the carpet. Thinking about getting some helicopter tape for some slight rub spots I noticed. Replaced the battery in my Cateye. Modified my phone mount a bit. Put a large Oi bell on. Basically gave it some TLC and prep work for when the weather breaks. Doing some window shopping for any new accessories, upgrades, or items I could benefit from for this season's adventures. Looking forward to being back and more active on the bike and here. See you around.
Do you have room for a trainer or rollers? I picked up a used set of Kreitler rollers and have augmented my winter training with running my DS3 on them. I did switch out the stock tires for a set of slicks, because the buzzing sound drove me crazy.
Old 03-23-18, 08:02 AM
Karmajack

I don't really have the room. I have a elliptical I use during the off season to stay somewhat in shape. It's not quite the same, but it's something.
Old 03-23-18, 07:31 PM
dschumm

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires with lower rolling resistance

I changed out my stock Bontrager tires on my DS4 with Schwalbe Marathon Cross. I have found them to be an improvement in the area of rolling resistance.
Old 03-29-18, 08:00 AM
Karmajack

Lately I've been heavily considering getting fenders on my DS3. Anyone have recommendations /suggestions on specific model? Something compatible with up to 42cc tires that I will likely eventually get. I also have disc brakes and a rack to keep in mind. I'd prefer something that's easy on, easy off as I wouldn't need them at all times. I'd want them to combat simple splash from pavement and crushed gravel on road and trails. Not overly muddy trails.

Last edited by Karmajack; 03-29-18 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-03-18, 09:41 AM
Brooke1687

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
What are your thoughts on trail riding with the DS? (Neko in my case)

There’s a new park opening near me in a couple of months. I’d like to give the beginner trails a try but don’t necessarily want to invest in a new bike and if I was I’d probably go with a road bike at this point. I rode one rougher gravel path a few months ago and it scared me but I was only a few months out from my accident and still new on the bike. I’m getting a lot more comfortable with it now. I would definitely switch to a larger, knobbier tire. Any tire suggestions?
Old 04-03-18, 03:44 PM
jase33

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 4, 2014 Niner RLT 9 [storage], K2 Shadow 9 [indoor trainer]

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brooke1687
What are your thoughts on trail riding with the DS? (Neko in my case)

There’s a new park opening near me in a couple of months. I’d like to give the beginner trails a try but don’t necessarily want to invest in a new bike and if I was I’d probably go with a road bike at this point. I rode one rougher gravel path a few months ago and it scared me but I was only a few months out from my accident and still new on the bike. I’m getting a lot more comfortable with it now. I would definitely switch to a larger, knobbier tire. Any tire suggestions?
My wife has a Neko 2 and we ride trails ranging from hard pack, rail trails and occasionally she will try some beginner single track. We both have MAXXIS Ramblers on our DS's and they have been great.
Old 04-04-18, 04:19 PM
rummy

Bikes: Trek DS3 / Neko 2

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello. New guy here. My girlfriend and I are picking up a DS3 and Neko2 tomorrow.
I'm looking to get some options on some accessories. Are all bottle cages pretty much the same? I was thinking to pick up a few cheapos from Amazon. I would also love recommendations on light options.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.