Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Out of Shape Clydes - First Rides

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-11, 08:00 AM
nrowensby

Bikes: 2006 Diamondback Century

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When you guys started riding, how far/long were you able to go??

I seem to be exhausting myself after only about a mile, ~10 minutes of riding... Is this normal or am I riding wrong? (Avg 9mph)

I read other stories about people doing 3-5 miles or even more on their "first" ride... I feel like I may be doing something seriously wrong...?

Last edited by nrowensby; 12-29-11 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-29-11, 08:02 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
When I first started I went with a five mile plan.

Ride 5 miles rest, do another 5 miles, rest >>>>>>>

Did 80 laps around the block for 40 miles one day, 5 miles at a time.

Old 12-29-11, 08:06 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by nrowensby

I seem to be exhausting myself after only about a mile, ~10 minutes of riding... Is this normal or am I riding wrong? (Avg 9mph)

I read other stories about people doing 3-5 miles or even more on their "first" ride... I feel like I may be doing something seriously wrong...?
Normal YES

Do not worry about speed untill you get passed the first 500 miles.
Takes a long time for your body to adapt to the bike.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 12-29-11 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-29-11, 08:09 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Probably not. How long have you been riding and what was your physical condition when you started?

BTW, my first ride was a mile.

Old 12-29-11, 08:22 AM
nrowensby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil_B
Probably not. How long have you been riding and what was your physical condition when you started?
I have just started riding as an adult... I'm quite a bit overweight (5'9" - 280lbs) and haven't really worked out besides walking short distances (less than 1 mile) in ~2 years.

BTW, my first ride was a mile.
That's reassuring... All the stories I read made it out like people start at 5 miles and work there way up from there... Me barely being able to do a mile really made me feel like I was doing something wrong.
Old 12-29-11, 08:24 AM
nrowensby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Normal YES

Do not worry about speed untill you get passed the first 500 miles.
Takes a long time for your body to adapt to the bike.
I'm not worried about my speed, but I didn't want people to think I was trying to push 15+ mph for my single, sad mile... (JK, I really enjoy my ride... no matter how short it may be.)
Old 12-29-11, 08:25 AM
Wolfwerx

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour (x2), '83 Bianchi, '96 Trek 820, '96 Trek 470, '99 Xmart Squishy Bike, '03 Giant Cypress

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As long as you don't fall over, you're doing it right.
Old 12-29-11, 08:26 AM
Penny4

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I got my first bike (a Diamondback comfort bike), I think my first ride was probably around 1.5 miles. I had no idea how to use my gears properly, so I had to get off and walk up a few hills. I HATED biking. After a few more attempts that summer, I put the bike away and forgot about it.
A few years later, a friend convinced me to start riding with her. I started researching how to use the gears properly (youtube, sheldon brown, etc) and realized that most of my struggles on the bike were related to lack of knowledge. Things got so much better once I understood how to use the bike properly. I would say my first "real" ride was about 7 miles. It felt like 70, but I was so happy that I did it, that every ride after that, I strived to go just a bit farther.
Do you have lots of hills where you are riding? WHat kind of bike are you on? Does it fit you properly? Are you using your gears to your advantage?
Old 12-29-11, 08:27 AM
nrowensby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfwerx
As long as you don't fall over, you're doing it right.
Thanks... I do feel like the bike was much steadier on my third ride than it was on my first ride. My first ride, I thought something was wrong with the bike; it looked like it was wobbling all over the place, after a couple more ride, I see it getting more steady, I realize it was probably me shaking,
Old 12-29-11, 08:30 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Took me a along time to learn to relax my grip with my hands.
Also helps to look futher ahead, and not at just the front wheel.

Old 12-29-11, 08:36 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I have just started riding as an adult... I'm quite a bit overweight (5'9" - 280lbs) and haven't really worked out besides walking short distances (less than 1 mile) in ~2 years.

That's reassuring... All the stories I read made it out like people start at 5 miles and work there way up from there... Me barely being able to do a mile really made me feel like I was doing something wrong.
You are an adult beginner too? Wow. So I was. My first ride was five years ago last week. I rode a mile, had a mailbox jump in front of me - PA needs a mailbox leash law - and went down as I swerved. The chain fell off. I walked home thinking I'd ruined my new bike......

Ten months after learning to balance, avoid mailboxes, and put the chain back on, I rode a century.

Old 12-29-11, 08:37 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The thing you are doing RIGHT is riding your first mile. Congratulations. Soon it will be 2 and then 5 and then 10 miles. Pat yourself on the back. We all started with a mile.
Old 12-29-11, 08:48 AM
nrowensby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Penny4
Do you have lots of hills where you are riding? WHat kind of bike are you on? Does it fit you properly? Are you using your gears to your advantage?
Where I'm riding is not flat, but I wouldn't call it hilly... As for the gears, I am getting a better feel for them, but I'm sure there are times I could probably be shifting better. Any recommended reads on this?
Old 12-29-11, 08:56 AM
The_DK

Bikes: 2003 Trek 7300, 2012 CAAD 10 5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://sheldonbrown.com/gears.html
Old 12-29-11, 08:58 AM
nrowensby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are an adult beginner too? Wow. So I was. My first ride was five years ago last week. I rode a mile, had a mailbox jump in front of me - PA needs a mailbox leash law - and went down as I swerved. The chain fell off. I walked home thinking I'd ruined my new bike......

Ten months after learning to balance, avoid mailboxes, and put the chain back on, I rode a century.
I rode a lot as a child -- Elementary school/early middle school years, but haven't touched a bicycle since then. I rode motorcycles up until this past summer, not really the same though.

I too, lost my chain on my very first ride -- That's when I did my first short read about gearing, was shifting and pedalled backward slightly and the chain slipped right off. Luckily, I figured out how to quickly put it back on and pedalled home.

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
The thing you are doing RIGHT is riding your first mile. Congratulations. Soon it will be 2 and then 5 and then 10 miles. Pat yourself on the back. We all started with a mile.
Thanks... Will do!

Last edited by nrowensby; 12-29-11 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-29-11, 09:06 AM
Penny4

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to post the same Sheldon Brown link that DH did above. That is a great place to start, and there are lots of other helpful articles there. When I started, I didn't understand cadence (Sheldon's article explains it), and I usually rode in too high of a gear. As someone once explained to me, "If it is hard to pedal, make it easier. If it is easy to pedal, make it harder." You dont' want to spin your legs wildly, but you also don't want too much resistance.
In the beginning, I also did a lot of searching on you tube..."Shifting gears on comfort bike", etc.
Old 12-29-11, 09:27 AM
The_DK

Bikes: 2003 Trek 7300, 2012 CAAD 10 5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's so hard to resist hard pedaling. Getting a speedometer will help break you of it once you realize you can go 3-4mph faster for so much less work
Old 12-29-11, 09:34 AM
nrowensby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The_DK
It's so hard to resist hard pedaling. Getting a speedometer will help break you of it once you realize you can go 3-4mph faster for so much less work
My wife bought me one for Christmas, but I don't pay much attention to it when riding, I checked out my average speed when I got home yesterday, but didn't pay it any attention during my short ride.
Old 12-29-11, 09:52 AM
Crazydad

Bikes: Yeti SB5, Canondale R500

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Congrats on getting out there. Just stick with it and soon you will think 5 miles is just the warm up portion of the ride! We all had a hard time on that first (and second, third, fourth, ...) ride.

As far as watching your average speed during the ride, I personally never worry about it. All I watch during the ride is my RPMs and find that if I keep those where they need to be then the speed takes care of itself.
Old 12-29-11, 09:56 AM
nrowensby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazydad
As far as watching your average speed during the ride, I personally never worry about it. All I watch during the ride is my RPMs and find that if I keep those where they need to be then the speed takes care of itself.
By RPM's, I'm assuming you are talking about RPM's of the pedals (cadence) correct? I don't think my $20 computer does that.
Old 12-29-11, 10:30 AM
Crazydad

Bikes: Yeti SB5, Canondale R500

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
By RPM's, I'm assuming you are talking about RPM's of the pedals (cadence) correct? I don't think my $20 computer does that.
Sorry, I am talking about cadence. As far as not have cadence on your computer, don't sweat it just watch the miles go by (instead of speed). Before I got a computer, I just concentrated on keeping the pedals moving fast enough that I wasn't pushing too hard to keep them moving while not spinning so fast I wasn't doing anything. This will come easier as you get more comfortable with using the gears to keep your spin in the sweet spot. But the key is to keep getting out there and putting in the miles
Old 12-29-11, 10:34 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I honestly don't remember ... I've been cycling almost all my life. But I can say that my idea of what constituted a long ride has changed/grown over time.
Old 12-29-11, 10:50 AM
jlp1976

Bikes: 2011 CAAD 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first ride was just under 5 miles. My lungs burned, legs ached, and I thought I was going to die. Then it just gets easier and easier the more I do it, except by behind hurting. I think I need a new saddle.
Old 12-29-11, 10:51 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My first ride as an adult was on my brother's new road bike. I went about a mile down a flat road and wondered how in the hell I was going to get back.
Old 12-29-11, 01:45 PM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My first ride on my current bike after 10 years or so of not riding was about a mile. I don't have a computer nor is it likely I'll get one again. I'm riding for enjoyment. Even when it beats me up. Don't think I've ridden more than 10 miles in one shot yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.