Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Head-on collision between group cyclists and car (video)

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 12-10-16, 11:25 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

"All the bikers were thrown to the ground, but luckily the vehicle stopped to call emergency services"
Old 12-10-16, 11:43 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
How is everyone?
Old 12-10-16, 11:48 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
How is everyone?
Since it says " luckily the vehicle stopped to call...", sounds like the result was not too serious?
Old 12-10-16, 11:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,346 Posts
The phrase "too fast for conditions comes to mind", but in all cases of this kind, the devil is in the details.

Years ago a very good friend had a head-on collision with a motorcycle while riding on a twisty, hilly 2 lane road. He was descending through an S turn, and apparently both he and the oncoming MC were crowding the double yellow. All of us were shaking our heads in wonder, what are the odds?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-11-16, 12:14 AM
Bmach

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Vol, "EMS" where I come from stands for emergency medical services. So that could mean no one was hurt and the call was precautionary to doa. Seeing that info was not provided, I asked. You could be very well be right but you are assuming.
Old 12-11-16, 12:36 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
The phrase "too fast for conditions comes to mind", but in all cases of this kind, the devil is in the details.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 12-11-16, 12:49 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
It doesn't hardly look like it should be a blind corner, but just enough of a rise on the right, and nothing is visible around the corner.

One thing about driving on a narrow unmarked road. Always drive as if you were in your own lane when going around corners. I.E. the car should have been about 5 feet to the right.

But, the bikes should also have had control of their bikes on the corners. Yes... fast descents can be fun, but if it isn't a closed course, expect the unexpected, and poor drivers.

Hopefully injuries weren't severe.
Old 12-11-16, 12:59 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,346 Posts
In all fairness, I don't think there's anyone who's been riding for a long time, who hasn't at some time (or many times) ridden in that zone where the only thing separating us from disaster is favorable alignment of the stars. (Note the "us" rather than "him")

We all take chances and make mistakes, but fortunately life is "organized" with plenty of forgiveness. In my experience the difference between disaster and "whew, that was close" is millimeters and microseconds, and not anything we can take credit for.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-11-16, 07:05 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3743 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 768 Posts
In all fairness, I don't think there's anyone who's been riding for a long time, who hasn't at some time (or many times) ridden in that zone where the only thing separating us from disaster is favorable alignment of the stars. (Note the "us" rather than "him")

We all take chances and make mistakes, but fortunately life is "organized" with plenty of forgiveness. In my experience the difference between disaster and "whew, that was close" is millimeters and microseconds, and not anything we can take credit for.
I totally agree, but with many people the problem is, is that they do take the credit when nothing bad happens.

I always attempt to learn from mistakes, even mistakes when there was no close call.

BTW, where did this happen?
Old 12-11-16, 07:21 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,381 Times in 3,692 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
BTW, where did this happen?
It has been reported as this incident happened in California.
Old 12-11-16, 07:28 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3743 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 768 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Thanks.

I only asked, because I got a quick ad that seemed to advertise a British newspaper, so I thought there was a small chance this happened over there, which, of course would dictate which side of the road is to be ridden on.
Old 12-11-16, 07:39 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Narrow road. Fairly sharp turn. Not great visibility.

It's common for cyclists move to the outside. It's common for cars to move to the inside.

Neither cyclists or driver expected an opposing vehicle.

Thus, the result we saw.
Old 12-11-16, 10:24 AM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
typical cager thinking hes driving a bumpercar and just cuts into where he wants to go...
Old 12-11-16, 11:37 AM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks.

I only asked, because I got a quick ad that seemed to advertise a British newspaper, so I thought there was a small chance this happened over there, which, of course would dictate which side of the road is to be ridden on.
The newspaper concerned was the Daily Mail, one which has the usual right wing hatred of cyclists. To get a flavour of their intellectual ability, read the number of respondents who claimed that the cyclists deserved it because they were on the "wrong side of the road", in spite of readers repeatedly pointing out the collision happened in the USA, where, strangely enough, our ex-colonials ride on the right.
Old 12-11-16, 02:09 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Three of the four cyclist were on the right half of the road the entire time. One cyclist was slightly right of center. The first cyclist got sideswiped by the car front quarter panel and side mirror and went into the air. Two cyclist avoided contact with the car even though the car was on their side of the road; but one got hit by the first cyclist that was thrown in the air and the other looked to endo his bicycle over the first 2 cyclist. The fourth cyclist tried turning left to avoid the oncoming car as he was the most center of his lane and got hit in the rear wheel by the car bumper.

As a minimum, 3 of the cyclist had control of their cycles and were riding reasonably. They did not run into a stopped object in the road, the had a moving car heading at them in the wrong lane at speed.

It seems too many blame the cyclist first here would have blamed these cyclist even if they had been stopped in the right lane and a car came along and drove head on into them.

This video seems to have a clearer picture:

Last edited by CB HI; 12-11-16 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-11-16, 02:48 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Just for those that must blame cyclist:
Old 12-11-16, 04:39 PM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow
What a surprise-
a car cutting a somewhat blind curve
that never happens!
No way could they have expected that-slowed down-and hugged the right side of their lane-

Rural roads=most dangerous-
No freakin' shoulder-no place to bail-and they don't slow one bit coming on a blind curve
Lucked out -they could all be dead or maimed
Wonder what the speed limit is on a dangerous POS rural road like that- 40 mph maybe-
no SLOW FOR CURVE
Oh well-lucky
Old 12-11-16, 11:23 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
The motorist is 100% at fault since he was the one driving on the wrong side of the road. All of us have doubtless been in the same situation as those riders. Some of us didn't get hit because we were going a bit slower, some of us are just a bit quicker (probably because we expect motorists to behave badly), some of us have gotten whacked and some of us fit more than one category.

My favorite short loop to ride when I don't have a lot of time involves similarly narrow descents (for CliffordK: Fox Hollow and McBeth). I encounter cars on the wrong side all the time and I just deal with them. In fact, because poor driving is so common hereabouts, I expect every car to be on the wrong side of the road when the roadway curves to my right and I'm rarely disappointed.
Old 12-11-16, 11:36 PM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Did this happen in England?
Old 12-12-16, 01:29 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Gyro
Did this happen in England?
It is often helpful to read the thread first.
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Old 12-12-16, 02:07 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Thanks.

Google knows everything. It's hive hard drive knows you typed 'tea' at some point...I get ads in Spanish now and then for seemingly no real reason, especially with my webmail in the right column.
Old 12-12-16, 02:09 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Three of the four cyclist were on the right half of the road the entire time. One cyclist was slightly right of center. The first cyclist got sideswiped by the car front quarter panel and side mirror and went into the air. Two cyclist avoided contact with the car even though the car was on their side of the road; but one got hit by the first cyclist that was thrown in the air and the other looked to endo his bicycle over the first 2 cyclist. The fourth cyclist tried turning left to avoid the oncoming car as he was the most center of his lane and got hit in the rear wheel by the car bumper.

As a minimum, 3 of the cyclist had control of their cycles and were riding reasonably. They did not run into a stopped object in the road, the had a moving car heading at them in the wrong lane at speed.

It seems too many blame the cyclist first here would have blamed these cyclist even if they had been stopped in the right lane and a car came along and drove head on into them.

This video seems to have a clearer picture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UY7upQvI3g

If there are multiple versions of the same video, which one is the original and sometimes you have to ask are YT videos all that pertinent?
Old 12-12-16, 02:26 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Rollfast
If there are multiple versions of the same video, which one is the original and sometimes you have to ask are YT videos all that pertinent?
Likely the video I linked to is closer to the original due to better quality, all the other YT post I saw were poorer quality. This particular video seems to be reposted on several channels.
Old 12-12-16, 05:31 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I try to keep safe with certain aphorisms in my head that come to mind to alert me when I encounter a situation where unseen dangers may lurk, such as “Like a weapon, assume every stopped car is loaded, with an occupant ready to exit from either side.” or “Don’t ride over an area (such as puddles or leaves) when you can’t see the road surface.”

After seeing this video, I’m adding “When approaching a curve with no forward sight lines, hug the curb…’tight to the right’ .“

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-12-16 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-12-16, 07:46 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Tight to the Right
not bad-sorta rhymes

Of course the motorist is at fault-
but the riders would be "dead right"-great for their heirs-not so good for them
Cars routinely cut curves and corners-
it should never be a surprise for an adult-riding or driving

Probably not so good for heirs-5 dead riders-$ 50,000 policy -dead young person worth $2,000,000 or so

Like Jim said
Tight to the Right- love that-I will steal it-forever

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.