Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Berardi, Pierino 1977 (possibly '76)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-19, 10:13 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts

I am preparing to start a build up of a Berardi (model(?): Pierino), year as early as 1975 due to pre-release/testing of Campagnolo's "Portacatena"/"Chain Carrier" in 1977. This information gathered from conversations with Pierino Berardi's son. It is a frame made by Pierino himself, apparently a model/design started in 1970. The bottom bracket has "71" factory stamped on it, but per Berardi this is a painting code, not a date code. This makes sense since the Campagnolo drive-side rear dropout has factory threaded mounting holes for portacatena installation. This feature would not have been available in the early 70's. Frame is Columbus SL, also verified via conversation with Berardi. I originally contacted them regarding a factory restoration should I decide to go in that direction, but they haven't made frames for over 30 years. They're essentially a traditional bike shop now.
If anyone can shed more light on this, correct any misinformation I might be inadvertently spreading, and/or confirm what I have stated; I would appreciate it. Any photos showing components installed is me seeing how certain types look/mount on a certain color and/or frame design. The exception are pantographed components matching frame marque.
The threaded holes in the down tube are for front derailleur mounting. I don't know if this was custom from factory (not know by Berardi) or done by the original owner. There are no clamp marks showing in the tube except where the FD mounts. The derailleur is Camp Nuovo Record with the clamp band and pin removed, and the body drilled to match frame holes. I do not know if this will give proper alignment/spacing when mounted. Still getting parts together for this build.
Thanks for the input in advance.
'75-'77 BERARDI, 3T Panto stem, Cinelli EXA bar

BERARDI

BERARDI

BER#ARDI, CUSTOM(?) FRONT DERAILLEUR MOUNT & DERAILLEUR (Camp NR without clamp band & pin, drilled for bolt mounting directly to frame)

BERARDI

Last edited by HPL; 05-16-20 at 11:17 PM.
Likes For HPL:
Old 04-24-19, 10:40 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
How deep do the threads go in the "FD mounting holes"? I would think the tube would be too thin to just thread the tube wall. If there is a brazed-in threaded boss or insert, it would have been done at the factory if the paint is original.
Old 04-24-19, 10:50 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Berardi, More Photos

Here are more photos of this Berardi frameset. All installed components (except panto'd) are temporary, maybe.
BERARDI

BERARDI

BERARDI, Bird on a "Break"

BERARDI

BERARDI, Do not be fooled by the cryptic "71"
Old 04-24-19, 11:06 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

BERARDI, Front Derailleur Mounting

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
How deep do the threads go in the "FD mounting holes"? I would think the tube would be too thin to just thread the tube wall. If there is a brazed-in threaded boss or insert, it would have been done at the factory if the paint is original.
T.G.B., my thoughts when I got the frame. There is no reinforcement and/or boss. I've pretty much assumed that it was done by an owner, the first I assume since no other marks around the tube. The derailleur definitely looks "non-factory" with the missing parts and the manner and looks of the holes in the body. My thought (trying to stay positive) is that the tube is thick enough that far from center to allow enough threads (I've not counted how many yet) to catch and hold the unit securely without frame damage. There is no frame deformation that I can discern, and threads are not stripped or loose fitting to the bolts. I don't know if the alignment to the chainwheel will be correct, l believe there is enough play in the derailleur borings to allow for some minor alignment, but no significant height adjustment. I've never seen this type of setup before, but as old and original as the frame is it must have worked for the original owner and any others afterwards, although I think this may have been a one owner due to overall condition.

Last edited by HPL; 04-24-19 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Mis-entry
Old 04-24-19, 11:15 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
T.G.B., my thoughts when I got the frame. There is no reinforcement and/or boss. I've pretty much assumed that it was done by an owner, the first I assume since no other marks around the tube. The derailleur definitely looks "non-factory" with the missing parts and the manner and looks of the holes in the body. My thought (trying to stay positive) is that the tube is thick enough that far from center to allow enough threads (I've not counted how many yet) to catch and hold the unit securely without frame damage. There is no frame deformation that I can discern, and threads are not stripped or loose fitting to the bolts. I don't know if the alignment tothe
Hard to tell from the picture, but looks like there could possibly be enough threads to hold it securely. Luckily the only forces those holes have to contend with is the cable tension of the FD, which is not that much force. So if you have 3 or more threads I'd say just bolt it on there, make sure it has the FD in the right position, and keep an eye on it. Worse comes to worst you could have a framebuilder braze some bosses in to the holes, or braze a FD tab, and then touch up the seattube paint.
Old 04-24-19, 11:53 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Berardi, More Photos

BERARDI, Camp dropout with OE Portacatena mounting holes.

BERARDI

BERARDI

BERARDI

BERARDI