Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-19, 07:19 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
For months, I thought I would need a frame repair person to help me with my frame. It's a 1971 Raleigh Super Course, originally a 10-speed (2x5). I ran a 3x6 drivetrain by shoving the back wheel in. It's time to upgrade to an 8-speed drivetrain, so I have a pair of wheels ready to go. I couldn't get the rear wheel in (130mm) even spreading the dropouts temporarily. It appeared that the small cogs didn't want to go in because the round chain stay came so far back. I spoke to two frame repair folks. One said he might figure something out. The other said he would braze in longer dropouts.

I decided to see what would happen if I just spread the frame permanently. Maybe the wheel would go in easily. And it does now. I can now proceed with the build, and I just saved myself a hundred bucks or so.

This time, I use RJ the Bike Guy's threaded rod method rather than the 2x4 method. It was easy. I haven't checked for symmetry yet, but it looks good to my eye so far.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-12-19, 08:49 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
@noglider I've used the threaded rod method to respace rear and front dropouts a few times now. Has worked every time. The self-centering aspect definitely makes it better than the 2x4 method.
Old 05-12-19, 09:44 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Those are a lot more modern than what I'm used to. The one I'm looking for sorta looks like a 7/8th scale Simplex shifter, but the levers are entirely made out of white plastic. I swear, it took me five minutes of Googling "Sturmey Archer 5 speed shifter picture" to find one picture of the part . . . . .

. . . . . and I must have gone thru 400 pictures (including every variation of the above that was made for their chopper bikes) to find the above.

If it took that to find a picture, you can imagine what finding the real thing is like. The part that hurts is I got my Sprite with the right one (the three speed side) already broken, then found a replacement. Which I set up and used for about a year, only to bump it sideways and snap it getting off the bike. I'd always read that the biggest weakness to the S5 hub was the shift levers, and I wholeheartedly agree. The indents on the right side are weak, the plastic is brittle, and the entire action of the levers suck. But it is the correct part. I still have the broken off piece, and one of these days will glue it back to the stub, and just let the lever sit there for looks while doing the shifting with a regular AW handle bar shifter.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 05-13-19, 12:05 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Merziac- the bike looks quite proper, but not show winner Paramount white or Siren, vote for me, I'm sexy, Red.
(note, for the age of the bike the typical set up would show less seatpost and stem... at least if ordered by a Schwinn dealer)
Tx, I have the post and stem still where I ride them, the frame is a bit small but your right I probably should have put them in better adjustment, I don't like to move things around unless necessary. I try to keep from marring them any more than I have to.

I've only seen Blue and Brewster green like this, can't be too picky very few of these to be had and I love this Green one so I'm good.

There was probably no hope at the show, they seem to have zero love for road bikes.
Old 05-13-19, 02:27 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
Been back at the cottage for a few days, now. Got everything opened up, heating up and fitted with working indoor plumbing (a real bonus in Canada). With that in mind, I decided to start raking leaves today, but said to heck with it, deciding to build up a set of wheels for my Legnano Grand Premio...

Since the first build, the bike has been fitted with 27" Ambrosia rims laced to Campy High Fange hubs...

And today, the Leggy got a set of 700c hoops...

Tomorrow, with luck, a NOS Legnano cottered crank will be installed, followed by fitting the chain and a saddle replacement with a NOS Brooks. Then, take it out for a test ride.
Old 05-13-19, 06:23 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Originally Posted by sykerocker
With that problem taken care of, the bike still has two issues: The short term is a desperate search for a S-A bracket small enough in diameter to clamp tightly to the left rear stay and allow me to use the left side over/under drive lever. I've tried shimming the slightly too large clamp I have and it only works for one shift. Maybe.
This is primarily aimed at eom as I found out its a heck of a lot more difficult to post a picture to a private message, but if anyone else out there has a lead, it will be appreciated:

This is the part I'm looking for.

Sturmey-Archer rear stay cable clamp.

It's pretty much your standard S-A clamp that holds down one end of the cable casing while allowing the cable to proceed thru to the hub - with one exception: The size. The rear stay on the Sprite mikes out at 1/2" and anything in a proper S-A clamp that I've already found is too big in diameter to clamp down. I've tried shimming under the clamp to get it to tighten, but the shim invariably moves on the first pull of the lever.

Anyone who has one of these available, let me know.

ADDENDUM: Of course, twenty minutes after posting this, I do one of my periodic eBay searches and find it! Well, the seller is claiming the correct size, so I ordered and will supposedly have it by Friday. We'll see. I've been disappointed before.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 05-13-19 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Addendum
Old 05-13-19, 06:27 PM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by randyjawa
There is something so absolutely gorgeous about those bikes, the color combination, the chrome lugs, and now going back to the proper cottered crank. Now, if you could only find a set of the original branded fenders . . . . .

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 05-13-19, 06:51 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Now, if you could only find a set of the original branded fenders . . . . .
Like the ones pictured here..?

The set is tucked away, in the rafters of my man cave...
Old 05-14-19, 06:38 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
(In response to post # 1822 from noglider Tom):

That's the method I use. Right now I have a Raleigh Wyoming in the workstand, on which I've installed a 9-speed Deore drivetrain with a single chainring up front. I took it out to 130mm with the same threaded rod setup.

I found that I needed to stretch it to about 145mm, leave it sit like that overnight, and then realign the dropouts with the correct Park FFG tools. This worked fine for mounting the wheel, but I had to readjust the derailleur hanger a bit to get it to shift properly.

I'll write more about it when it's finished, and post some before/after photos.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 05-14-19, 08:03 AM
sykerocker 

Finally got around to the final spring project in the stable: Complete teardown and rebuild of my 1969 Magneet touring bikes, plus a desperately needed upgrade on the brakes. I've been putting it off repeatedly since last fall, but at the 14 years, 5200 mile point I figured I'm finally due.

Big change here is replacing the the Weinmann centerpull front/Synchro side pull rear combination with a pair of Mafac Racer center pulls. And, despite my hatred of "safety levers", I actually went that route for a change. Primarily because the Mafac levers are the only dual lever setups that are effective. I do like having the ability to move my hands on the bars in multiple positions, and the Mafac safety levers will actually work on a panic situations almost as well as the main levers.

On to another 5200 miles.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 05-14-19, 08:07 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Stretching out on the Raleigh Comp, as my quest for a flat back continues:

Old 05-14-19, 08:59 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
(In response to post # 1822 from noglider Tom):

That's the method I use. Right now I have a Raleigh Wyoming in the workstand, on which I've installed a 9-speed Deore drivetrain with a single chainring up front. I took it out to 130mm with the same threaded rod setup.

I found that I needed to stretch it to about 145mm, leave it sit like that overnight, and then realign the dropouts with the correct Park FFG tools. This worked fine for mounting the wheel, but I had to readjust the derailleur hanger a bit to get it to shift properly.

I'll write more about it when it's finished, and post some before/after photos.
Thanks. I don't remember how far out I took it. When it was good, I started loosening the nuts, but I then realized I was tightening them. So I spread the frame too far! I had to put the nuts and washers on the outsides and reverse the process.

You don't have to leave it overnight. Steel is not like wood. Once you bend it, the bend is permanent.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-14-19, 09:10 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
This is primarily aimed at eom as I found out its a heck of a lot more difficult to post a picture to a private message, but if anyone else out there has a lead, it will be appreciated:

It's pretty much your standard S-A clamp that holds down one end of the cable casing while allowing the cable to proceed thru to the hub - with one exception: The size. The rear stay on the Sprite mikes out at 1/2" and anything in a proper S-A clamp that I've already found is too big in diameter to clamp down. I've tried shimming under the clamp to get it to tighten, but the shim invariably moves on the first pull of the lever.

ADDENDUM: Of course, twenty minutes after posting this, I do one of my periodic eBay searches and find it! Well, the seller is claiming the correct size, so I ordered and will supposedly have it by Friday. We'll see. I've been disappointed before.
If this new one doesn't work out you could try getting a small stainless hose clamp and just clamping the housing to the stay, with ferrule at the end.
Old 05-14-19, 09:37 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts

I can see these are not what you pictured. Will they work? What are they for? Have I found gold in my piles o' stuff?

Old 05-15-19, 02:47 PM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by eom
I can see these are not what you pictured. Will they work? What are they for? Have I found gold in my piles o' stuff?
That's not a S-A part, it looks like a cable end part for the rear stay on a derailleur bike (holds the piece of cable casing just before the rear derailleur). It might, if I don't find the actual part.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 05-15-19, 02:54 PM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
If this new one doesn't work out you could try getting a small stainless hose clamp and just clamping the housing to the stay, with ferrule at the end.
I've tried that. Didn't work. There's something about the amount of torque that fragile, easily breakable S-A shift lever will put out that ensure the cable casing will slip if held down by anything but the proper clamp. I've shimmed larger clamps, the shimming shifted upwards. Hose clamp? The damn thing still moved upwards, unless I clamped it to the point that if squeezed the cable casing to the point where the cable wouldn't move.

Only the British . . . . .

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 05-15-19, 06:13 PM
randyjawa 

This morning, I drove into the city to pay for this Torpado and Atala...

When I got home, I took another step in the evolution of my Grand Premio...

It took a bit of doing to get the Simplex rings in place but the NOS bottom bracket was a smooth bolt in and good to go...

This is drive train and transmission #3 and I do hope that it is the last one needed...

The older worn a bit saddle was replaced today with this lovely NOS Brooks that I bought a year, or so, ago and not knowing where it was going to be used. Now I know...

The Legnano is to be this summer's rider, however; I am not sure that my old legs have what it takes to be comfortable with the gearing...
Old 05-16-19, 07:00 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Torelli Cicle de Vince just got sakae world champ bars and NOS 6207 I've been storing for this occasion.

Gios Torino got old style logo cinelli bars and SR levers

Old 05-16-19, 07:29 PM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Most of the morning was spent trying to figure out why the ST6400 shifter I had picked up wasn't working. Pretty sure that there is C shaped spring that is broken.

This afternoon I replaced brake pads on the Prelude and my Finest and also couple of bikes that we are getting rid of.

Peeled some stickers and cleaned up a couple of rims for the Prelude.

I also spray painted a rigid fork for a Cannondale M400 That I'm putting together.
Old 05-16-19, 10:43 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Working on selling my '91 Cannondale SR800. The very probable buyer for it missed out on another '91 Cannondale (that I was originally selling), and I told him I had a frameset that I could build up if he wanted. Gave him a solid price on what I could built to, and he was/is game. He'll get a lot of beautiful bike for the money, and I'll make $10-20 on the whole endeavor while pocketing invaluable experience. Win-win. I love crafting bikes, man. This SR800 is going to be a stunner!
Old 05-18-19, 07:44 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 272 Posts
I wanted a couple more millimeters clearance under the front caliper to feel comfortable with 32s on this bike. The caliper was the pinch point. A washer, Dremel and hand file got me a wedge, a few degrees, and a few mm. I'm pleased.

Last edited by Sir_Name; 05-18-19 at 08:58 PM.
Likes For Sir_Name:
Old 05-19-19, 06:26 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
"Converted" my Raleigh Pro MKI to 700c tubulars and lost 1.5 pounds overall weight! Had just enough reach with the Weinmann center-pull brakes to hit the rims dead center. Will add a pic after today's shakedown ride.

Pic, as promised. The "shakedown" ride was at just over one mile in progress when I heard a soft "ping." Sure enough, one of the rear spokes had snapped. Merde.

2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Last edited by horatio; 05-19-19 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-19-19, 10:27 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Name
I wanted a couple more millimeters clearance under the front caliper to feel comfortable with 32s on this bike. The caliper was the pinch point. A washer, Dremel and hand file got me a wedge, a few degrees, and a few mm. I'm pleased.

Brilliant! Seems like the inverse could get you some more reach where clearance isn't a problem.
Old 05-19-19, 11:23 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
I managed to find an Italian wheelset for the Club Fuji. They are Nisi Mixer 28 spoke on Miche "Superfast" hubs. The Mixer rims were a most difficult tire mounting, I had to tire jack the Continental tires on both sets of beads, I did it! Those are the new, "pain in the ass" king Ambrosio Elite now seem simple and easy. I also installed a Campy BB with a Suntour crankset, with Suntour Cyclone 7000 pedals.
Old 05-19-19, 07:42 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts
This doesn't qualify as wrenching but it's a wrenching story (ahem). For my Bianchi Alloro restoration I wasn't thrilled with the selection of Alloro badges . Plus I was not getting any love from Velocals or Cyclomondo not even a email back . Calling around town I finally found this place called Sing-a-rama the owner was a total jerk but the guy doing the art work was cool . Anyhow here is the outcome . Oh by the way alloro is Italian for laurel .

IMG_0336 by mark westi, on Flickr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.