Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Veloce 8 STI lever to Xenon 9 shifter

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-20-19, 06:43 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 127 Posts

Is Campagnolo Veloce 8 speed (rear) STI shifter lever compatible with Campagnolo Xenon 9 speed STIs?

Xenon 9 speed shift lever (the one behind the brake lever) is broken and there is a Veloce 8 speed STI "donor".
Old 05-21-19, 07:01 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4153 Post(s)
Liked 3,751 Times in 2,245 Posts
What exactly is broken? If it's the lever and not the internals then this might be swappable. But the index gear, the cast metal part that has the specific notches for the gear count, won't be interchangeable without also changing out the cogs and possibly the der too. There are other reasons that Ergo rear shifters break that don't involve the above parts, these other reasons are more commonly the cause. Someone with Ergo rebuilding experience likely could tell what's wrong by just handling the shifter on the bike. Andy
Old 05-21-19, 09:14 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
This is the parts diagram from Campy 2006 and its part number EC-MI228 indicates it is the same as the Mirage(and I have a 9spd Mirage lever also with the broken lever). But I am almost sure any lever from any Campy shifter from this series, be it 9 or 10spd, will fit. This series had rounded symmetrical shaped hoods. Note the lever will fit but it may be a different material for example Centaur&Chorus = aluminum, Record was (I believe) also plastic (same as Mirage/Xenon?) but with a fake carbon sticker. The 8sp levers were of a previous generation (pointy hoods) and the lever was a different shape (see pic) so will probably not fit.

Likes For bluehills3149:
Old 05-21-19, 11:01 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 127 Posts
Thank you very much for the educational replies: both explaining and pointing out what to look out for - sure it will help anyone Googling this with a similar dilemma.

Return info: the lever @bluehills3149 marked has been broken. From the info I could get from the customer, it was shifting under load, with poorly setup RD (either B, or limit screws making the lever movement on the last/largest few sprocket shifts very difficult).

The lever is (was) plastic. Donor STI has a metal lever.

My guess was, looking at diagrams, that it is just a lever, if the fitting holes for the other parts are using the same distance (spacing), it just might work. But I'm reluctant to do such a job in the peak season rush if I'm not convinced it will work. Wanted to double-check.

Have fixed a broken Shimano STI before, using good glue to patch a plastic broken part, but in this case, a part replacement is due. Couldn't find where to order one on-line. My understanding is that Campagnolo STIs are (unlike Shimano) designed to be serviced. However, in Serbia, Campagnolo is like a unicorn: you know it is thought of as very good, but never actually see one. So I've never worked with a Campy STI before.

Sourcing Shimano parts is difficult enough and often expensive because of import taxes. While labour costs are cheap, so paying someone (like me) to rebuild might be easier (5 $ per hour is good, 10$ per hour is a very expensive rate that very few people can charge - senior programmers earn that much).