Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your opinions on the "run-up and drift back"

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your opinions on the "run-up and drift back"

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-19, 01:18 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
I've never seen this in a group ride even race/rides. Doesn't even make sense logically to burn matches sprinting to the front last min just to be at the front at the start of the hill. What is more common at least around here is to simply try to time your pulls so you're near the front when it starts or it there's a downhill prior use momentum to get around towards the front at the base
I agree. The physiology just does not make sense. If one has the ability to charge ahead, why not just try to conserve on the way to the climb use the energy to hang in. Generally, one is always capable of doing more than one thinks. A lot of hanging on in any situation is mental.

Second, having a surge to the front drift back plan just sounds odd and self defeating. I like to think I can hang and let me be proven wrong.

Now, being in the front of a larger group on the start of a climb gives one options if the I can hang strategy degrades into a I am losing contact and I wonder if there are others behind me that are as well. One can then work with the group that did not make the selection. If I am the only one that does not make the selection then welcome to Offthebackistan.

The drift back strategy is weak sauce at best in any situation.

BTS, you need to find much better riders with whom to train. This is going nowhere.
Old 07-07-19, 01:22 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I agree. The physiology just does not make sense. If one has the ability to charge ahead, why not just try to conserve on the way to the climb use the energy to hang in.
Because the former depends on W/CdA and the latter on W/kg.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 07-07-19, 09:19 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I agree. The physiology just does not make sense. If one has the ability to charge ahead, why not just try to conserve on the way to the climb use the energy to hang in. Generally, one is always capable of doing more than one thinks. A lot of hanging on in any situation is mental.

Second, having a surge to the front drift back plan just sounds odd and self defeating. I like to think I can hang and let me be proven wrong.

Now, being in the front of a larger group on the start of a climb gives one options if the I can hang strategy degrades into a I am losing contact and I wonder if there are others behind me that are as well. One can then work with the group that did not make the selection. If I am the only one that does not make the selection then welcome to Offthebackistan.

The drift back strategy is weak sauce at best in any situation.

BTS, you need to find much better riders with whom to train. This is going nowhere.
It also doesn't make sense because that's not what's happening - being told us by someone who has a bone to pick. I've frequently gone by the leaders with a 5-10 mph speed differential. I don't sprint to get it. I simply move to the left, get down in full aero and keep a moderate pressure on the descent. I hold gear and bike position until I start up the hill, still holding aero but now giving full climbing power and downshiftng every time the needle gets close to 90rpm. Yeah, probably does look like I'm sprinting. I move to the right and get ready for some riders to pass. My w/kg isn't that great, though I'm not fat either.

I've tried to explain to other riders how I do it, doesn't seem to help. It's getting the coefficient and the area down. The weird thing is that's how you're supposed to ride. Most riders are too lazy. When one pulls out of the line on a descent, one should move backward, not forward. Draft extends back maybe 30'. Sometime I do get to ride with folks who aren't lazy. Then I can suck wheel all the time.

Asgelle is more terse.
Old 07-07-19, 10:53 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Meh. If you’re not putting others at risk, causing gaps, or otherwise being a jackass, I wouldn’t sweat it.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-07-19, 11:46 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I often pass fellow group riders downhill because (1) I like to go as fast as possible downhill and they don't and (2), I work harder at going fast downhill (pushing over the top, body position, line, etc.) and have a fairly small frontal area because of my size.

I'm not a strong climber so a lot of them pass me when the terrain changes. I hold my position and take my turn at the front on the flats and rollers when I can - assuming I can pull. If I'm too weak, I'll either make a token gesture at pulling or just hang in.

Nobody I know gives a flying rat's ass about any of this stuff. We just enjoy riding with each other.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-09-19, 02:23 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Has the person been yelled at?
lol