Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need assistance identifying fork compatibility from picture

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-05-19, 12:59 PM
steppinthrax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need a new fork for my Trek 7200 bad. I finally found a seller, however they haven't got back with me after questioning the item. I don't want this to go away.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22356324697...=true#rpdCntId

I'm planning to go threadless. My bike can take a 1-1/8", this is a 700c. The only thing I'm not sure is the space between the fork should be 100mm (this is pretty standard right). The bottom of the fork post will obviously be slightly wider to take the new bearing race. I'm assuming it's a standard size the I can easily match up with the Cane Creek headset finder. It's a 9mm qr which is my front hub. Disc brake post as well.

Only thing I'm planning to do is lightly sand and repaint.

Is there anything else I'm missing before I buy?
Old 09-05-19, 01:09 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18302 Post(s)
Liked 4,470 Times in 3,326 Posts
100mm is standard for all modern quick release fronts, with the exception of a couple of folding bikes.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax
The bottom of the fork post will obviously be slightly wider to take the new bearing race. I'm assuming it's a standard size the I can easily match up with the Cane Creek headset finder.
The crown race may well transfer over, but if you are going from threaded to threadless, you should probably get a new headset + stem.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 09-05-19, 01:24 PM
steppinthrax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
100mm is standard for all modern quick release fronts, with the exception of a couple of folding bikes.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by:

The crown race may well transfer over, but if you are going from threaded to threadless, you should probably get a new headset + stem.
Yes, I will get a new headset. But the "crown race" has a measurement based on the bottom of the fork post. I will need to measure that once I get the fork. I'd just wish I knew that measurement now. I have the fork tube measurements already.
Old 09-05-19, 01:39 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18302 Post(s)
Liked 4,470 Times in 3,326 Posts
Ok, you have a couple of measurements.

Axle to Crown.
If you are doing a non-suspension fork to non-suspension fork, you should be close enough. If it is say, withing 1cm, then don't worry about it.

On the other hand, you could be off more if you're doing a suspension to non-suspension.

Rake
This is how far the fork dropouts are in front of the centerline. This will affect steering a bit, but again, if it is within 1cm or so, don't worry about it.
Old 09-05-19, 01:44 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 471 Posts
All 1 1/8" forks use the same crown race measurement of 30.015mm(nominal). You can order any 1 1/8" threadless headset and it will work with the fork. The frame is a different story, because the cup sizes have to match the head tube.
Likes For dsaul: