Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Show me your hacks

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Show me your hacks

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-19, 11:15 AM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
What's going on here? Is that a guide for a front disk brake cable, bolted to the back of the fork at the caliper brake hole? What was that original piece of metal you started with?
Yes. I started out with an is disc brake mount adapter with threaded holes and grinded it down. I could have just used one of the stick on cable guides, but I forgot I had them.
Old 10-07-19, 11:52 AM
dwsmartins

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I'd used cheap adhesive rubber foam tape instead of the rather expensive (at least here in Brazil) bar tape on a flat bar to cope with hand pains and that worked surprisingly well. Worked for about 6 months with only some minor/cosmetic damage. I'm always wearing half finger cycling gloves, so maybe that adds to it.

The only reason I've removed it was due to a new glove with larger padding, which together with the rubber foam made it feel like I was squishing a large marshmallow...
Old 10-07-19, 02:30 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 261 Posts
Short piece of inner tube wrapped around the bottom headset bearing. Have to remove the fork to install but works good to keep grit out of there...
Old 10-07-19, 03:00 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
26" clip-on fenders from an MTB installed on a bike with 700cc wheels. Been running like that for 2 years, can't see enough reason to spend the $50 or so for correctly-sized fenders.
Old 10-09-19, 02:50 PM
steelrider58
NO LONGER A BF USER

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Tool Bag Hack

I know I'm not the only one who balks at spending big bucks on certain bike-related items...and trendy tool bags has to be one of the worst for being overpriced. So, I decided to go cheap and convert a medium-sized shoulder bag to a saddle tool bag!

This bag is actually a Rothco Travel/Shoulder bag made of canvas and some leather. I found it on Amazon for $17! I put a few pieces of stiff cardboard inside and used a couple small carabiners to hold it to the B-17 saddle's rear bag slots. I just cannot bring myself to spend much for tool bags since I don't do any long distance touring. I know it's a cheap alternative and we'll see how long it lasts. It has a nice shoulder strap so I can undo the bag from the saddle and sling it over my shoulder if I choose to. Yes, some of the zippered pockets are not very accessible, but I don't really care that much.

Here's the shopping link: https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Canvas...462834&sr=8-21

Cheap Rothco travel bag ($18)

Last edited by steelrider58; 03-02-24 at 09:02 AM.
Likes For steelrider58:
Old 10-14-19, 10:22 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 2,539 Posts
Originally Posted by steelrider58
I know I'm not the only one who balks at spending big bucks on certain bike-related items...and trendy tool bags has to be one of the worst for being overpriced. So, I decided to go cheap and convert a medium-sized shoulder bag to a saddle tool bag!

This bag is actually a Rothco Travel/Shoulder bag made of canvas and some leather. I found it on Amazon for $17! I put a few pieces of stiff cardboard inside and used a couple small carabiners to hold it to the B-17 saddle's rear bag slots. I just cannot bring myself to spend much for tool bags since I don't do any long distance touring. I know it's a cheap alternative and we'll see how long it lasts. It has a nice shoulder strap so I can undo the bag from the saddle and sling it over my shoulder if I choose to. Yes, some of the zippered pockets are not very accessible, but I don't really care that much.

Here's the shopping link: https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Canvas...462834&sr=8-21
Love it! I've long wanted a cheap, spacious under-saddle storage solution that works with brooks style attachments (also on my selle anatomica). I will give this a try with a couple bags I already have at home, and if they don't work out, I'll probably order that exact bag as well
Old 10-17-19, 09:54 AM
BMarino

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blackieoneshot
What bike related hack, bodge, or modification have you made this year? I discovered that my Abus 685 lock (6mm links, 76cm length) just barely fits in my Zefal bottle cage container. It’s been a great solution for me. The whole rig is under two pounds, it’s easy to move from bike to bike, and it looks clean on the frame.

That's neat!
Old 10-19-19, 11:26 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Picture shows two hacks on my helmet:

1. Third Eye mirror further secured with the visor mount.
2. Light and Motion headlight duct-taped to the visor.

I use this set-up for all of my riding.
Old 10-19-19, 12:12 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
My hack is terribly simple: I used to put my water bottle necks between fingers to transport inside (double walled metal with hidden mouth, ftw). Noticed that 4 liter bottle carry straps could detach and fit on my bottles. Now hand transport is easy and painless, even with multiple bags
Old 10-19-19, 03:10 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
My hack is terribly simple: I used to put my water bottle necks between fingers to transport inside (double walled metal with hidden mouth, ftw). Noticed that 4 liter bottle carry straps could detach and fit on my bottles. Now hand transport is easy and painless, even with multiple bags
Do you mean adhesive straps? Pics please.
Old 10-25-19, 09:44 AM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Old hack from 2010. I had a seat post rack, but the angle made the rack higher than I wanted. I had an idea to make an adjustable seat post mounted rack. It is a stem mounted to a cut down bmw handlebar, which is then connected with two bar ends that slip fit inside a suspension fork. Held up to 35 lbs without sagging. I ended up scrapping it because it weighed 5 lbs and I rarely used it.
Likes For devianb:
Old 12-01-21, 08:46 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 917 Posts
@caribou22, found it! Would you mind re-posting your awesome hack here?
Old 12-02-21, 05:10 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Mud Flap

While we're at it, my Mud Flat just bit the dust last night. Anyone got any idea of what is the best material to use for it? (Plastic, Leather or something else.)
Old 12-11-21, 08:56 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
While we're at it, my Mud Flat just bit the dust last night. Anyone got any idea of what is the best material to use for it? (Plastic, Leather or something else.)
cheap, thin mousepad, like from Walmart
Old 12-11-21, 10:55 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
The thin tough plastic from a 5L motor oil bottle. Very light, indestructible. I used a black bottle to match the SKS fender. If you cut it from the narrow "side" of the bottle it will have a cupped shape to it mimicking the form of the fender. Drill 4 small holes through flap and fender and secure with small zip ties.
Old 01-28-22, 04:45 PM
CFDJ

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
TIGR Locks are pretty lightweight and have a bottle cage holder that looks pretty sleek