Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wife and I back on bikes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wife and I back on bikes

Old 10-30-19, 07:29 PM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Wife and I back on bikes

Wife and I are just about ready to turn 65 and have not been on bikes in years, my old Centurion was hanging in the garage for all that time and I have begun to clean it up, get a few new places for it and she bought a new Treck Verve II from a local bike shop. I even built a bike carrier for out pickup out of PVC and we hauled it to Sacramento last weekend for some riding along the American River. We are both in decent shape and getting back on the bike has been fun.
Old 10-30-19, 08:00 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Do you wear helmets?
Old 10-30-19, 08:43 PM
royphotog

Yes, in fact, my wife forgot her helmet when we went to Sacramento and she fell and bumped her head, not bad but enough so she won't forget it again.
Old 10-31-19, 09:07 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
heartwarming. riding with Wifey is one my favorite things to do

the one day my 61 yr old wife & I (60) didn't wear helmets, last year, she crashed & broke her wrist. thinking maybe we should start wearing wrist guards ...
Old 10-31-19, 09:19 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I'm hoping to get my wife on her bike next spring.
Old 10-31-19, 10:07 AM
royphotog

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I'm hoping to get my wife on her bike next spring.
we began riding because my wife had begun walking every day, sometimes up to ten miles on local paths and I had decided to get my old Centurian back on the road, she bought a Terk and off we went. Been nice to ride together.
Old 10-31-19, 10:39 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Sounds like it’s time to buy a Tandem
Old 10-31-19, 10:51 AM
royphotog

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Sounds like it’s time to buy a Tandem
Never thought of that, maybe someday.
Old 10-31-19, 11:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
How great is it that you can hop on a 40 year old bike and start enjoying it enough that you want to share the good news with strangers?

There's a bit of time machine-like magic with bicycles.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-31-19, 11:29 AM
royphotog

Originally Posted by livedarklions
How great is it that you can hop on a 40 year old bike and start enjoying it enough that you want to share the good news with strangers?

There's a bit of time machine-like magic with bicycles.
Seeing all the cool bikes in the classic and vintage threads I find I am not alone, justs makes me want to shine the old girl up (the bike that is)
Likes For royphotog:
Old 10-31-19, 02:11 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
My wife is no longer interested in riding beyond the neighborhood, but I enjoy that little bit with her on our cruisers. Enjoy it while you both can.
Old 10-31-19, 03:32 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 435 Posts
Good to hear you and your wife are riding together. My wife just recently retired, and is getting back into riding more again. When near PA, though, we rode rail-trails and mtn.bike trails. Not so many around us now, but we are finding places to ride, just not as plentiful. And we have road bikes now also, in addition to our old mtn.bikes.
Old 11-05-19, 07:58 AM
mtaineer

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by royphotog
Wife and I are just about ready to turn 65 and have not been on bikes in years, my old Centurion was hanging in the garage for all that time and I have begun to clean it up, get a few new places for it and she bought a new Treck Verve II from a local bike shop. I even built a bike carrier for out pickup out of PVC and we hauled it to Sacramento last weekend for some riding along the American River. We are both in decent shape and getting back on the bike has been fun.
Can you post some pics of your carrier? Thanks.
Old 11-05-19, 05:29 PM
Hackman61

Bikes: Matte black 2017 Specialized Sirrus, 2019 Salsa Journeyman, 2013 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Recently bought my wife a very nice used Specialized Sirrus Sport. She's a good strong rider but refuses to wear a helmet. (she's a farm girl) I recently bought a new Kask since I had a Bell that was 13 years old. That didn't even motivate er to wear hers. Oh well, at least she will ride with me.
Old 11-05-19, 07:04 PM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
My wife had not been on a bike for the entire 50 years we have been married. I could not get her to try riding again as she was afraid of falling and breaking something. Could not get her to go to a shop and even look at a bike. So I just bought her a bike myself a few weeks ago.

She did not want to get on it but I finally talked her into trying a short ride on a very scenic, very flat, very wide paved bike path where I knew she would see plenty of other older ladies on bikes. It worked and she is getting stronger and more confident every ride.

They are slow rides but it is very nice to ride together and to see her enjoying the bike in spite of herself. Bikes are just magic machines, as someone already mentioned.
Likes For spinconn:
Old 11-06-19, 01:23 PM
royphotog

Originally Posted by mtaineer
Can you post some pics of your carrier? Thanks.
Here is a link to the site where they give instructions on how to build, with photos. https://www.instructables.com/id/Truckbed-Bike-Rack/

It works quite well, with a couple hold down straps the bikes don't move around. We are thinking of getting a hitch mount as we would like to carry some things in the bed of the truck.
Old 11-06-19, 01:35 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Never thought of that, maybe someday.
At 65, I am not sure exactly just how long you have been married, but a tandem could end your marriage!

Kidding of course but I have heard plenty of comments from others who have tried. Riding along with my wife and I on our tandem, and on cycling forums, people have said, "you guys ride a tandem and you're still married!".

Some make the move to tandem but plenty don't from the comments I have heard. We had some pretty serious arguments while adapting to the tandem. It is pretty different aiming for centuries and such. Rolling around the hood, no problem. But it takes a lot of work and compromise to really get rolling. I am a spinner and she was a masher. I have to drop my cadence on rides and she has to spin more. Actually changed her ride style plenty having to adapt to a faster cadence which really worked out for her cycling. But it was a major period for adapting and compromise.

I say pass on the tandem at your age. Your heart may be too weak to take it!
Old 11-06-19, 05:11 PM
royphotog

Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
At 65, I am not sure exactly just how long you have been married, but a tandem could end your marriage!

Kidding of course but I have heard plenty of comments from others who have tried. Riding along with my wife and I on our tandem, and on cycling forums, people have said, "you guys ride a tandem and you're still married!".

Some make the move to tandem but plenty don't from the comments I have heard. We had some pretty serious arguments while adapting to the tandem. It is pretty different aiming for centuries and such. Rolling around the hood, no problem. But it takes a lot of work and compromise to really get rolling. I am a spinner and she was a masher. I have to drop my cadence on rides and she has to spin more. Actually changed her ride style plenty having to adapt to a faster cadence which really worked out for her cycling. But it was a major period for adapting and compromise.

I say pass on the tandem at your age. Your heart may be too weak to take it!
Yeah, I already had one double bypass.. all the things you talked about went around in my head when you mentioned the tandem.
Likes For royphotog:
Old 11-06-19, 05:20 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Yeah, I already had one double bypass.. all the things you talked about went around in my head when you mentioned the tandem.
I'm actually having fun kidding about it but it really is difficult for some people. One thinks double motors, double speed. Not so. takes plenty of adjusting.

We were doing 45 mile rides no problem on singles then got on the tandem and thought we were going to fly. Increased the ride to 60 thinking it would be a breeze, boy was I wrong. I almost passed out half way through the ride. The extra balance, counter balancing, not being able to move freely adjusting, really took its toll.

I also tried with a really strong male friend after the wife and I worked it out. Few years later it was second nature so I tried with a buddy who is much stronger than my wife.

The coordination was very different and we really sucked ha ha! My wife and I were much faster than I was with a stronger friend.

If you do have the physical conditions, I kid around but seriously, I would not recommend the tandem. You might end up selling it 2 months later.
Old 11-06-19, 05:41 PM
royphotog

I'm actually having fun kidding about it but it really is difficult for some people. One thinks double motors, double speed. Not so. takes plenty of adjusting.

We were doing 45 mile rides no problem on singles then got on the tandem and thought we were going to fly. Increased the ride to 60 thinking it would be a breeze, boy was I wrong. I almost passed out half way through the ride. The extra balance, counter balancing, not being able to move freely adjusting, really took its toll.

I also tried with a really strong male friend after the wife and I worked it out. Few years later it was second nature so I tried with a buddy who is much stronger than my wife.

The coordination was very different and we really sucked ha ha! My wife and I were much faster than I was with a stronger friend.

If you do have the physical conditions, I kid around but seriously, I would not recommend the tandem. You might end up selling it 2 months later.
I don't think we would do well with it,
Likes For royphotog:
Old 11-07-19, 10:02 AM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts

I'm fortunate enough to have a wife who loves riding a tandem, and we've been doing it for 34 years. In many respects it's probably helped our marriage. Thing is, whoever is in the stoker position has to accept that he or she has little to no control over the bike. I know for certain that I couldn't handle being back there......LOL. I'm quite sure that I'm not alone in that regard, either.
Likes For jim_pridx:
Old 11-07-19, 03:11 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Originally Posted by jim_pridx
I'm fortunate enough to have a wife who loves riding a tandem, and we've been doing it for 34 years. In many respects it's probably helped our marriage.
I totally agree! We have a strong marriage but I do think the tandem added some icing on the cake to it. Good point!
Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 11-07-19, 03:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I am a spinner and she was a masher.
How did you raise the kids?
Old 11-07-19, 03:42 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Originally Posted by livedarklions
How did you raise the kids?
She "WAS" a masher!

Once she saw that my side of the relationship was best for the family, we raised the kids as spinners. She also converted as well.

Son was a really good cyclist and bike handler at 15. Sadly his interest turned toward girls and it really messed him up.

Daughter is still very active and was spinning the bike like crazy at 30 years of age. I spin just above 100 rpm at 19 MPH in the 39 ring and I had a hard time matching her cadence when we were side by side. Sadly she took up running, got involved with RAGNAR, did some 200 mile relay runs and it messed her up.

Messed them up meaning it ended their cycling interest.
Old 11-07-19, 03:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

She "WAS" a masher!

Once she saw that my side of the relationship was best for the family, we raised the kids as spinners. She also converted as well.

Son was a really good cyclist and bike handler at 15. Sadly his interest turned toward girls and it really messed him up.

Daughter is still very active and was spinning the bike like crazy at 30 years of age. I spin just above 100 rpm at 19 MPH in the 39 ring and I had a hard time matching her cadence when we were side by side. Sadly she took up running, got involved with RAGNAR, did some 200 mile relay runs and it messed her up.

Messed them up meaning it ended their cycling interest.

I used to be a masher, but more and more, I'm now spinning a big gear. Big up front, 11t in the back. Zoom.

Don't try this at home, kids.
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.