Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

HELP- I think I saw my stolen mtb in town!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 05-25-19, 08:07 AM
Commuter19

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So before I got a new mtb because my previous one had been stolen however in last few weeks I’ve noticed a delivero guy cycle around with it. Today I noticed it was locked up in my local town. by a convince store. So I got a picture and I’m pretty sure it’s defiently mine the person who has it did a bad job painting over it as you can tell they’ve purposely painted over it and the suspension fork and handlebar girls haven’t been painted over and match the mode. Even the chips by derailleur and on suspension match my previous one the only thing that doesn’t is they’ve changed pedals and seat but their the only thing that doesn’t match but their easy to change if you know how.

another awkard thing is and perhaps this is the reason they target me is I’ve recently beeen having incidents with deliveroo for no reason.

So what am I supposed to do?
Old 05-25-19, 08:33 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12636 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Did you file a police report upon theft?
Old 05-25-19, 08:48 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Of course you had the Serial number and proof of sale readily on hand to include in the police report that was filed as a matter of course, so recovery will be simple and justice done.

-Bandera
Old 05-25-19, 08:51 AM
Cloudkicker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Scum. Can't stand thieves. Hope you get it back somehow.
Old 05-25-19, 02:31 PM
Commuter19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is the photo what i was talking about my stolen bike was a Cross FXT500. But awkardly i also was looking through my old bike camera and found a video with a guy cycling up on the same make bike. I was using my new mtb at the time however the weird thing is when he looked at me he suddenly slowed down and also from the video it sounds like his bike was making a noise which would make sense as my gears weren't quite working before it got stolen. I would post video but this forum won't let me as it says file is not accepted type. So how i'm supposed to know without checking serial number which you can only acesss by turning bike upside down? Another thing is noticed how theirs a delvieroo bag nearby i have recently been having incidets with those riders perhaps they know and their trying to get me scared so i dont involve police (and have noticed one of them ride above bike around butt i was always suspicous of it but i couldn't tell since i didn't have a close up but this time i do) so because theirs two guys with my possbile bike i don't know what too do.

As for police report i recently got a update a few weeks back saying they won't take further action due to cctv only showing someone riding off with it and the angle is odd.
Old 05-25-19, 08:22 PM
downwinded

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could you reach under the bottom bracket and snap a pic of the serial number? The police would not mind turning the bike to a position that the serial number would be visible. Call em.
Old 05-26-19, 02:10 AM
Commuter19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downwinded
Could you reach under the bottom bracket and snap a pic of the serial number? The police would not mind turning the bike to a position that the serial number would be visible. Call em.
No as unfortunately I was with friends and awkardly I had to finish our activities. Unfortuantly it wasn’t their when we got back probably because we got back quite late.
Old 05-26-19, 09:57 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
You have a replacement and it wasn’t worth a lot. Stop worrying about it and get on with your life

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 05-28-19 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-26-19, 09:58 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
#1 take a lock and lock it on the person riding it so he cannot get away. #2 check serial number then call cops.
Likes For blue192:
Old 05-28-19, 09:34 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Commuter19

That looks like the UK to me.

Part and parcel of living here I'm afraid.

Head to the bike co-op and pick up a nice ride for £50-100 and ride on.

As that was only £159 new:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6048097

I wouldn't waste my time on it. It's now in the mix and just smile when you see it around!

At least it's delivering food ... probably a person on a zero-hour contract stole it and they need the money.
Old 05-28-19, 11:53 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
That looks like the UK to me.

Part and parcel of living here I'm afraid.

At least it's delivering food ... probably a person on a zero-hour contract stole it and they need the money.
Ah yes, nothing like encouraging the acceptance of theft, and even making an excuse for it.
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 05-28-19, 04:59 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts

Sad that this is acceptable.

Of course police won't do anything about it, but at least file a report to get it on record.

Last edited by FiftySix; 05-28-19 at 05:02 PM.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 05-28-19, 05:03 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by blue192
#1 take a lock and lock it on the person riding it so he cannot get away. #2 check serial number then call cops.
ditto. Pretty much what I'd recommend.
Old 05-28-19, 11:24 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Ah yes, nothing like encouraging the acceptance of theft, and even making an excuse for it.
Sorry mate.

This is really a UK-specific question from the OP, which you probably won't have the insight to answer correctly. (Continue to try if you must, but I would strongly advise the OP to ignore any response not from a UK-based member). Locking someone else's bicycle up might possibly lead to a direct confrontation especially when the bike is stolen. This should be avoided if at all possible as people dealing in stolen goods are usually very desperate people that you don't want to mess with over a cheap bike. Is a £150 bike worth an assault/knife confrontation as drug dealers are now disguising themselves as deliveroo drivers to evade detection and carrying weapons with them. This is especially prevalent with county lines drug dealers/human traffickers or people you don't want to get involved with.

I doubt you'd even get the police out to look at the bike even if it was locked.

You did quite well getting them to even look at the CCTV footage (must have been council footage?)

My personal take about bike theft:

https://www.plumplot.co.uk/Hampshire-...tatistics.html

Those are the "reported" stats for my area. (53 thefts in my neighborhood or 1/week). My neighbourhood is 0.96 mi2 large. So, one bike/week over a one square mile area.

4131 bikes reported stolen in Hampshire last year. (2.1/1000 people). In my city it's greater than 5.0 thefts/1000 people.

Council tax support for police officers (similar to property tax in the US) just went up 11% last year in my city.

I'd prefer my resources not spent on bicycle theft but rather on human trafficking (cargo port city with many ships from Asia/Africa), hard drug transport, violent crime and fighting organised crime syndicates. I don't even want the time of police wasted except for a simple logging of the crime.

Log the crime on 111 for stats purposes. Claim bicycle insurance (probably not purchased on a £150 bike).

Move on; learn a life lesson.

Last edited by acidfast7; 05-29-19 at 01:36 AM.
Likes For acidfast7:
Old 05-29-19, 01:56 AM
acidfast7
Banned

For your personal safety, please do not get the police involved if it is a Deliveroo rider.

Evidence why you don't want to mess with Deliveroo riders and/or why they're looking at you strangely.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/854911...keaway-riders/

This is not really anything new, as drug delivery to one's doorstep is common in the UK.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...brings-6347575

The new-ish component is the use of the Deliveroo backpacks to hold weapons and use of stolen bicycles to evade police as they can't be tracked and can easily be abandoned to evade chase on foot. At least that's the case in my city and it might in yours as well, which is why you're having problems with Deliveroo, as per your OP.
Old 05-29-19, 07:06 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
If you are sure it is your bike and you can prove it, contact the police.
If you are sure it is your bike, but cannot prove it - sorry, you're out of luck.
If you think it is you bike and can prove it if given the opportunity to further examine the bike, contact the police.
If you think it is your bike, but cannot prove it - sorry, you're out of luck and would feel really bad if your were found to be wrong.
Old 05-29-19, 07:43 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Sorry mate.

This is really a UK-specific question from the OP, which you probably won't have the insight to answer correctly. (Continue to try if you must, but I would strongly advise the OP to ignore any response not from a UK-based member). Locking someone else's bicycle up might possibly lead to a direct confrontation especially when the bike is stolen. This should be avoided if at all possible as people dealing in stolen goods are usually very desperate people that you don't want to mess with over a cheap bike. Is a £150 bike worth an assault/knife confrontation as drug dealers are now disguising themselves as deliveroo drivers to evade detection and carrying weapons with them. This is especially prevalent with county lines drug dealers/human traffickers or people you don't want to get involved with.
Yea. We don't have violent criminals on this side of the Atlantic.
Old 05-29-19, 10:13 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by MMACH 5
Yea. We don't have violent criminals on this side of the Atlantic.
I think you missed the argument completely as I was providing precise information to the OP based on his/her initial description.
Old 05-29-19, 10:26 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Looking for an opportunity to post this... not from the UK and not very applicable to your situation but...
Likes For joelcool:
Old 05-29-19, 10:28 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by joelcool
Looking for an opportunity to post this... not from the UK and not very applicable to your situation but...
Likes For acidfast7:
Old 05-29-19, 11:10 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Sorry mate.

I doubt you'd even get the police out to look at the bike even if it was locked.

You did quite well getting them to even look at the CCTV footage (must have been council footage?)

My personal take about bike theft:

https://www.plumplot.co.uk/Hampshire-...tatistics.html

Those are the "reported" stats for my area. (53 thefts in my neighborhood or 1/week). My neighbourhood is 0.96 mi2 large. So, one bike/week over a one square mile area.

4131 bikes reported stolen in Hampshire last year. (2.1/1000 people). In my city it's greater than 5.0 thefts/1000 people.

Council tax support for police officers (similar to property tax in the US) just went up 11% last year in my city.

I'd prefer my resources not spent on bicycle theft but rather on human trafficking (cargo port city with many ships from Asia/Africa), hard drug transport, violent crime and fighting organised crime syndicates. I don't even want the time of police wasted except for a simple logging of the crime.

Log the crime on 111 for stats purposes. Claim bicycle insurance (probably not purchased on a £150 bike).

Move on; learn a life lesson.
Ah, I see, because your lack of experience with specific locations has ever stopped you from trying to speak as if you were an authority on a topic?

And what is it that you are even trying to say, as your post is riddled with such glaringly hypocritical statements as to render it completely illogical?

You are in favor of the police cracking down on drug related crimes, and possible human trafficking, and yet you are telling the poster not to confront the thief and get the police involved because the thief might be a drug dealer or involved in human trafficking? So which way is it?

It's also nice to hear that you don't want the police taking any sort of action on bike theft, but it's even nicer to remember that the shared resources of a society are not forced to follow the policy recommendations of single, completely illogical (see above), individuals.

You might treat your bike like a piece of garbage (see photos you posted) that you don't care about (see admission that you forgot where you even left it), but as an adult you should realize that not everyone treats their bikes the same way, and that people have the right to expect the police, and other members of society, to take action to deter bike theft. That you can't see that, and that you can't seem to accept that other people might have different viewpoints that are just as valid as your own, is a problem.
Old 05-30-19, 04:58 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Just go take your bike back. Nobody is going to say anything because the police would find out they are in possession of stolen property.
Even a girl can do it.
Old 06-01-19, 07:49 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by blue192
#1 take a lock and lock it on the person riding it so he cannot get away.
Bad idea. What if you are wrong about it being your bike?