Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tommasini: I hate Drew more than words can tell

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-08, 11:05 PM
WJV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lucky me, $100 Tommasini frame on CL. My size too!! I call the guy, he says its in good condition with a few scratches. I drive a ways to pick it up before someone scoops me. Sure enough too good to be true, which is why I hate Drew! (No rhyme intended)

The frame has a few stickers on it which is fine with me, I can take 'em off easily enough, on the top tube are the remnants of a sticker apparently of the previous owner "Drew." I don't know what blew up Drew's dress but he decided he didn't want to run a front derailleur. So he removed the shifter boss braze on with what looks like a pair of vice grips. It left the frame dented and naked. Well he wanted even more weight savings and took off the derailleur braze on as well, but thankfully didn't dent anything.

Well I bought it anyways (sure didn't pay $100). Think its safe to build up as a single speed or something or cut my losses to wall art? Does anyone know if it would be repairable? I guess a full new down tube would have to be put in? Anyone know of a frame builder/repairer in the Louisville, Lexington, Cincinnati area?
Thanks
WjV

Old 11-10-08, 11:27 PM
swif

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You just know it was those damn hipsters.
Old 11-10-08, 11:30 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by WJV
Lucky me, $100 Tommasini frame on CL. My size too!! I call the guy, he says its in good condition with a few scratches. I drive a ways to pick it up before someone scoops me. Sure enough too good to be true, which is why I hate Drew! (No rhyme intended)

The frame has a few stickers on it which is fine with me, I can take 'em off easily enough, on the top tube are the remnants of a sticker apparently of the previous owner "Drew." I don't know what blew up Drew's dress but he decided he didn't want to run a front derailleur. So he removed the shifter boss braze on with what looks like a pair of vice grips. It left the frame dented and naked. Well he wanted even more weight savings and took off the derailleur braze on as well, but thankfully didn't dent anything.

Well I bought it anyways (sure didn't pay $100). Think its safe to build up as a single speed or something or cut my losses to wall art? Does anyone know if it would be repairable? I guess a full new down tube would have to be put in? Anyone know of a frame builder/repairer in the Louisville, Lexington, Cincinnati area?
Thanks
WjV

Drew should have a particular male appendage removed with said vice grips!
Likes For Sirrus Rider:
Old 11-11-08, 03:58 AM
soderbiker
Waiting for Summer !

Bikes: E.Merckx Corsa extra PK Banken,E.Merckx Corsa extra TT,E.Merckx Strada,De Visini,Olmo Gentleman,Peugeot PA-10,E.Merckx Corsa extra Team Issue,Nishiki Olympic Royale,Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it amazes me how people want a "track" bike so badly that they are doing this to their lovely framesets they acquirer.
these types of people ( who damage bikes like this ) no nothing of cycling and the love that went into most of these frames and how beautiful they are .
just want to have the an "Old steel" frame to look cool on street corners in the city .
its just "sadens" (<- is that correct) me to see this .
and i see it quite frequently .
e.merckx on ebay now with the same damage . all braze-ons removed . sad , just sad .
my rant for the day
T
Old 11-11-08, 07:12 AM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I would bet that any good framebuilder could fix that all up without having to retube.

But that's still going to put holes in that pretty paintjob.

I also have to give kudos to the hipster hackers, when they destroy a nice frame for their fixie fix, it just makes the frames we have more valuable!

Old 11-11-08, 07:35 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
When folks do that to pretty frames, they often have no concept of what they are damaging, no intent to deface or harm, just the end result in mind.

"Caveman see bike, caveman want fixie, caveman make fixie."

We can only educate caveman; show him that the graceful curves of a fine lug, like the soft curve of a.......oops, sorry. Off track. Well, we can only put our interests out there, and hope some catch on.

Sooner or later, said caveman will appreciate a C&V bike.
Old 11-11-08, 07:47 AM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Sooner or later, said caveman will appreciate a C&V bike.
HMmmmm....where da braze-ons all go???

Old 11-11-08, 10:07 AM
bonechiller
RE******

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This is absolutely the worst thing about the fixed gear trend. I blame Fixed Gear Gallery for encouraging everyone to hack up vintage road bikes in order to have "clean lines" or whatever nonsense they're hoping for.

The sad thing is how many more of these frames we're all going to see as this trend starts to pass and the bikes enter the used market again.
Likes For bonechiller:
Old 11-11-08, 11:43 AM
WJV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe that would be the best course of action, sell it back to one of these kids. Perhaps they will be content with having one pre-mangled frame instead of seeking another perfectly good frame to hack up. So what do you think, if i sell it with big "Perfect fixed gear candidate" as a selling point, would it save another frame destined to be cut?
Old 11-11-08, 11:55 AM
MadeInItaly
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hate Drew too.. What a shame.
Old 11-11-08, 12:31 PM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I say you get this posted in the FG/SS gallery as a sticky in order to dissuade anyone else from doing such a horrible thing to a Tommasini, or other beautiful classic road frame. This is unforgivable when you can pick up 5/8/10 stock frames now for $350 and suddenly become a fixed gear "cyclist".

Drew needs to be worked over with pliers and a hammer.

And, I completely don't buy into the idea that Drew didn't know what he was doing. Tommasini's are too incredible to think it was okay to do that. I just think he is such a **** that he didn't care
Old 11-11-08, 12:46 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by nayr497
I say you get this posted in the FG/SS gallery as a sticky in order to dissuade anyone else from doing such a horrible thing to a Tommasini, or other beautiful classic road frame. This is unforgivable when you can pick up 5/8/10 stock frames now for $350 and suddenly become a fixed gear "cyclist".

Drew needs to be worked over with pliers and a hammer.

And, I completely don't buy into the idea that Drew didn't know what he was doing. Tommasini's are too incredible to think it was okay to do that. I just think he is such a **** that he didn't care
In Drew's defense, I once worked with a guy named drew and he was a total idiot.

Once he was going on about how he was a master of some martial art or other and I told him that I was a master of the Martial arts as well.

Drew: "which one?"

I: "Lap Gok, the dreaded secret Irish art of Self Defense"

Drew (with awe and wonder): "I've heard of that! It's deadly, dude! You know that?"

I: "Yes."

Drew: "Geez, man, could you show me some moves?"

I: "No, it might kill you."

Little did Drew know I found out about Lap Gok in some weird Monty Python book I had, which had an ad for Lap Gok, complete with a picture of a Leprachaun in a Kung Fu pose. Drew also once asked me what happened to the old X-factor comic book, and I told him Gatorade had bought all rights to the name. Drew was none to bright; perhaps this was his frame.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Likes For Poguemahone:
Old 11-11-08, 12:48 PM
mackerel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate Drew as well.
I knew him when he was a young child.
He pulled the ears off his pet rabbit with a pair of vice-grips.
He said he wanted a hamster instead.
What a jerk.
Old 11-11-08, 12:53 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 637 Posts
Seems you liked it well enough to buy it. Yeah, it's a shame what was done to it, but sounds like you must have gotten a pretty good deal.
Old 11-11-08, 01:08 PM
txvintage
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Drew is a di........p stick.
Old 11-11-08, 02:34 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yep, too bad about the damage. To answer your original question...no, I'm pretty sure that the dents won't kill you. You could single-speed it and make it live again, or let a good frame builder repair the damage. The paint would not be easy to match but not out of the question...if you did the paint yourself you'd be looking at maybe a hundred dollars in repair bills.

Not too bad, $200 and some paint for a good Tommy...
Old 11-11-08, 02:48 PM
sciencemonster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to sound like too much of a heretic, but couldn't you slap on a clamp on shifter and cover up the mess? Once a bike is screwed with, it's totally game for fooling with. I'd cut of the other boss and cover over the both with a clamp on. Same with the derailler. What's done is done. Might as well salvage the cool paint job.

Is that bad?
Old 11-11-08, 03:36 PM
drpaauwe

Bikes: 1988 Miyata 512 (retired), 2003 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1990's Bob Jackson ser#20602 (Messina, I think)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, like sciencemonster said. Use clamp on DT shifters. Or use bar-end or integrated shifters. A clamp on front derailler should still work fine too, right? As long as it's structurally sound, who cares.
Old 11-11-08, 03:47 PM
GV27
Light Makes Right

Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the "a good frame builder can fix it but you'll have to paint it" camp.

Drew is the lowest form of life.
Old 11-11-08, 04:19 PM
guygadois 

Bikes: yikes, too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Werd is Drew spelled backwerds.

-GG-
Old 11-11-08, 07:27 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

The fixers here wouldn't do that to a frame. The art major chicks would filet 'em if they did.
They haven't bought into the deep V rims, either. Instead, they like the 27x1 chromies, 6" of wrap on the ends of long low track bars, no brakes, and mtb toe clips. I admire them, but how they keep those baggy pants out of the chain ring, I don't know.
Old 11-11-08, 07:34 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The frame is painted in the rare "quattro colori" color scheme, one that was used in the mid to late 80's. There were a couple of versions of this scheme, one being based against a white and the other against a red - which is the one I own - similar to the photo below.

When I got mine, I called Tommasini to see if they has a restoration program as I wanted it painted as original. I was told that the long time painter who likely did the paint on these frames had recently retired but was looking for some interesting projects to fill the time. I haven't sent it back yet but I got all excited at the possibility.

Best of luck with yours...

55/Rad

Old 11-11-08, 08:13 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
I propose the following adaption of the word "Drew" into the C&V vocabulary (much in the same fashion as the term "Fred"):

Drew
–noun
1. Derogatory. Fixed gear rider who removes brazed-on frame parts to achieve a self-proclaimed 'sleeker' appearance.
-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 11-11-08 at 08:24 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 11-11-08, 08:30 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

What we also need is a less sensitive word for fixie, which sounds like a type of skirt or something.

"Fixed" kind of implies neutered, and that leaves me queasy.

"Dung bike" is a little harsh, I think, because a fixed gear can be a good spring trainer, so the speed freaks tell me.

Maybe something in German, they have good gutteral words.
Old 11-11-08, 08:34 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
What we also need is a less sensitive word for fixie, which sounds like a type of skirt or something.
"Fixed gear" in German: "Reparierten Gang." Sounds like a punk hipster rock band.

I prefer "Farked Gear"/"Farkie" myself. Immediately offensive

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.