Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thanks Sheldon Brown...

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Thanks Sheldon Brown...

Old 04-14-13, 09:31 PM
Erik_A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks Sheldon Brown...

I was reading this article: https://hbr.org/2013/04/in-the-compan...rs-and-takers/ which questions whether you are a "Giver" or a "Taker" at work. I immediately though of the late, GREAT Sheldon Brown. This guy was the ultimate GIVER, and as a result helped others to be more effective.

His website is still a constant reference for me: https://sheldonbrown.com/

And he happens to have over 2000 posts here: https://www.bikeforums.net/search.php?searchid=7386281
(& started threads: https://www.bikeforums.net/search.php?searchid=7386539 )

So thanks Sheldon, we never met, but I appreciate you still.
Old 04-15-13, 02:58 PM
Rambetter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank from me as well, Sheldon.
I've read much of his documentation whilst restoring my beautiful '87 Santana tandem.
Old 04-15-13, 02:59 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Sheldon replied personally to a couple of my emails. It was awesome. I wish I had saved them.
Old 04-15-13, 03:10 PM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used the information Sheldon so generously contributed; he was genuinely a very good person and knew his subject intimately. I will dedicate tomorrow's bike ride to him. My best wishes continue for his family and close friends who continue to promote the website and Harris Cyclery.

@Erik: good link about the givers and takers.
Old 04-15-13, 03:44 PM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Sheldon's website was what properly got me into working on bikes, which was part of what made me want to study engineering. Volunteering as a mechanic at a bike co-op helped me get a year's pre-university work placement with a company who are now sponsoring me through university. Through the co-op I also got involved with a group of people who had a mind-bogglingly huge impact on my life, in ways I'd never have expected. All because Sheldon's article on cantilever brakes came up when I googled "bicycle cantilever brake adjustment" after getting exasperated trying to adjust the brakes on my brother's bike without really understanding how they worked.

Without Sheldon, I really wouldn't be where I am today. It sounds corny, but it's true!
Likes For Airburst:
Old 04-15-13, 05:11 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 103 Posts
I have been often amazed at the people I've been able to talk to through this forum. From Sheldon Brown to Richard Sachs. All very helpful and generous with both their time and experience.
Old 04-16-13, 06:50 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Airburst
Sheldon's website was what properly got me into working on bikes, which was part of what made me want to study engineering. Volunteering as a mechanic at a bike co-op helped me get a year's pre-university work placement with a company who are now sponsoring me through university. Through the co-op I also got involved with a group of people who had a mind-bogglingly huge impact on my life, in ways I'd never have expected. All because Sheldon's article on cantilever brakes came up when I googled "bicycle cantilever brake adjustment" after getting exasperated trying to adjust the brakes on my brother's bike without really understanding how they worked.

Without Sheldon, I really wouldn't be where I am today. It sounds corny, but it's true!
Cool story, sis
Old 04-16-13, 08:51 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Not long after his passing, I painted a bike. To honor Sheldon I made a decal of his picture with the words 'Thanks Sheldon' as a head badge. It was a small tribute to someone that freely gave up his knowlege for others to use. He also had a great sense of humor. People that are 'in the know' will look at my head badge and make a comment, or just smile.
Thanks Sheldon.
Old 04-16-13, 09:46 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
The more I read his stuff and the more I learn about him, the more I like Sheldon Brown. For years, I lived 5 minutes from his shop but sadly never went in. I didn't know him, but he seemed like a great example of a happy man who had successfully found his place in life. He used his infectious passion for bikes to enhance the cycling community world wide. Obviously he touched a lot of people. The man has been dead for years and here we are still praising him despite the fact that few of us actually knew him. It goes to show that kindness, practicality, lack of pretention and encyclopedic expertise can turn even a bicycle mechanic into people's hero.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 04-16-13, 10:10 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Heh, accidentally did an image search with the terms 'python bike mechanic' instead of a video search, and the third pic was Sheldon.

Originally Posted by Hiro11
It goes to show that kindness, practicality, lack of pretention and encyclopedic expertise can turn even a bicycle mechanic into people's hero.
This goes here.

Originally Posted by leob1
To honor Sheldon I made a decal of his picture with the words 'Thanks Sheldon' as a head badge.
We simply must have a pic.
Old 04-16-13, 10:14 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I remember Sheldon popping in to answer questions, esp. if his name was mentioned. I also remember the humble way he dealt with the curves life through at him in a gentle, courageous, encouraging way. The world was a better place with Sheldon Brown in it.
Old 04-16-13, 10:16 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
He inspired this... he told me he was looking forward to seeing the finished build but passed away before I was done.

His website the the data and resources it provides are an incredible resource and should serve many generations of cyclists whether they are recreational riders or hackers.

As a member he was always helpful to provide information and was an outstanding communicator.
Old 04-16-13, 10:20 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

As a side note, the golden eagle symbol next to user names is a tribute to Sheldon and his helmet mounted eagle. Users can earn an eagle by making a donation to a cycling related charity in memory of Sheldon. https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ars-blue-stars

Last edited by jsharr; 04-16-13 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-16-13, 11:19 AM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jsharr
As a side note, the golden eagle symbol next to user names is a tribute to Sheldon and his helmet mounted eagle. Users can earn an eagle by making a donation to a cycling related charity in memory of Sheldon. https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ars-blue-stars
I think I need to make that donation, where do I sign up?
Old 04-16-13, 11:53 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Also, that Python skit is so great I had to make a gif.

Old 04-16-13, 12:03 PM
Continuity

Bikes: 1992 Marin Eldridge Grade, 2007 Kona PHD and 199? Trek 1000 (current build project)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also must say a belated thanks to (the Sainted) Sheldon Brown - everytime I had a question regarding bike maintenance or standards, as well as the odd Usenet or forum post, I always seemed to end up at his site.

Much thanks to the late man himself, and those who have taken up the torch, keeping his site up and live (Harris Cyclery and Joh Allen(?)) for all to read and learn from even after the great man's passing.
Old 04-16-13, 12:47 PM
jim hughes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend used to say that "we live in the Age of Information, which hopefully will be followed by the Age of Correct Information". Think about all the rubbish on the internet today. Sheldon's information was invariably accurate.
Old 04-16-13, 01:13 PM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Originally Posted by Airburst
I think I need to make that donation, where do I sign up?
You can, I believe support any cyclist doing a charity ride, etc, in Sheldon's memory and qualify for an eagle. Not sure. I would ask in the help forum or send a PM to a mod or admin.
Old 04-16-13, 02:47 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Also, that Python skit is so great I had to make a gif.

<<<<<<<

Has one ever noticed that BRM took the broken roadster and turned it into a drop bar road bike ?

I can do the same thing.

Old 04-16-13, 05:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
leob1, that's quite a touching tribute.

There's a chance I met him once. I went into the Broadway Bike Coop, or whatever it was called, in 1980, and a burly bearded man spoke with me, and I know he worked there then.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Last edited by noglider; 04-16-13 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-16-13, 07:56 PM
Rest_assured

Bikes: '93 Cadex CFM3, '84 Repco Nishiki Olympic 12,'87 Peugeot Montblanc, '09 Giant Trance X1, '13 De Rosa R838

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not long after his passing, I painted a bike. To honor Sheldon I made a decal of his picture with the words 'Thanks Sheldon' as a head badge. It was a small tribute to someone that freely gave up his knowlege for others to use. He also had a great sense of humor. People that are 'in the know' will look at my head badge and make a comment, or just smile.
Thanks Sheldon.
I love this! What a great tribute. If Harris made a 'sheldon' bike (vintage style of course), I'd buy it.
Old 04-17-13, 07:25 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks Sheldon.
I did exactly the same thing. I used his email "CaptBike" on the head badge decal I created. I did mine on a tandem for which I corresponded with him on several issues.
Old 04-17-13, 08:44 AM
Erik_A

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I remember being very surprised when I heard that Sheldon died. It had seemed to me that just up to that point he was active on the forums and describing his own riding and bike building. I think he will always be a mythical figure in my mind (we never met in person). Especially when I calculate gear ratios!
Old 04-17-13, 09:17 AM
Clarabelle

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He left quite a legacy.
Old 04-17-13, 11:11 AM
Airburst

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'd forgotten it was Sheldon who came up with the idea of using gain ratios... Yet another way in which his legacy will go on, and possibly one of the more enduring ones, at that. As long as bikes still use chain drive, it'll be a very logical method for doing the maths to compare gearing.

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Cool story, sis
I think my original post still understates how much of an effect Sheldon has ended up having on me, to be honest!
Likes For Airburst:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.