Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Drive-up banking and other problems

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-10, 12:13 PM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

I'm very, very far from car-free or even car-lite, but I'm trying to do what I can.

Today, I rolled up to the credit union drive-through and was told I would have to come inside. I said I would be bringing my bike in as they had no bike rack. I was told to leave it just inside by the door. I brought it through both sets of doors and propped it up where I thought was best for me, but out of the way. I did my banking and was going out the door. I looked over at 2 bank officers, one of whom I know is the branch manager and got, at least what I perceived, a very dirty look. I just smiled and said 'Hi" and left.

As I do this more and more, what other unfair situations should I anticipate? How might I handle different things? If there are threads you can suggest for me to read, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 10-12-10, 12:30 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You did just the right thing..

If you wanted to be more "proactive" you could get on the bank about installing a rack...
Old 10-12-10, 01:45 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My local branch has no problem with me bringing my bike in.

If you could do anything, just return that "percieved" dirty look with a big smile and a happy hello. Be nice to the tellers. The bike makes you easy for them to remember.

A few times and they will get to know you. And with bankers' you never know what may have happened just before you were there that might have given them a temporary bad attitude.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 10-12-10, 02:39 PM
ezdoesit

Bikes: Fuji Touring 2008

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
You know is it me or what I don't see any problem with riding up to a drive Thur and taking car of business just as if your in a car.
I mean they still have cameras and after all it is a drive Thur right ????
Old 10-12-10, 03:05 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no issues using the drive throughs at my local businesses, under Maine law, cyclists are allowed to use drive throughs (at their own risk).
Old 10-12-10, 03:43 PM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by MJH
I'm very, very far from car-free or even car-lite, but I'm trying to do what I can.

Today, I rolled up to the credit union drive-through and was told I would have to come inside. I said I would be bringing my bike in as they had no bike rack. I was told to leave it just inside by the door. I brought it through both sets of doors and propped it up where I thought was best for me, but out of the way. I did my banking and was going out the door. I looked over at 2 bank officers, one of whom I know is the branch manager and got, at least what I perceived, a very dirty look. I just smiled and said 'Hi" and left.

As I do this more and more, what other unfair situations should I anticipate? How might I handle different things? If there are threads you can suggest for me to read, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Very few of the places I have gone to shop or bank have a bike rack, but I always carry a lock and find a pole or something to lock it too. I think this approach would be a whole lot less stressful to everyone involved.
Old 10-12-10, 04:01 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Reminds me of the time I brought my bike in a grocery back in OH. It was a cold winter night and I was one of the only people in the store (24hr grocery).
The bike rack had a pallet of driveway salt sitting in front of it, so I just wheeled my bike with me to get a couple of things. No one said anything to me, but I had two employees follow me up and down the three aisles I had to visit. As I remember, I was kind of hoping they would have said something. I was a very grumpy person when I lived there.
Old 10-12-10, 04:31 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I would ask the manager to review the drive-thru policy. It's no more dangerous to use the drive-thru than it is to ride up to the lobby entrance. Also inform them if you're aware of other businesses in the area that allow bikes in drive-thrus. If the drive-thru has longer hours than the lobby, you can point out that cyclists are getting inferior service, which seems unfair. Appealing to the credit union board is another possibility.

I agree with Baboo about the practicality of a long cable lock or chain lock. You can find a lot of things to lock to with a longer lock. In the long run this might be less stressful than arguing with every business owner who doesn't provide a rack or drive-thru access.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-12-10, 07:12 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alicestrong
You did just the right thing..

If you wanted to be more "proactive" you could get on the bank about installing a rack...
Exactly!
Old 10-12-10, 07:24 PM
Newspaperguy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just bike where you want to go and lock your bike outside the place. Don't bring it inside unless you're invited to do so. You'll soon earn a lot of respect and if they see you're a regular customer, they may eventually set up bike racks.

If you insist it's your right to take your bike into a business, you'll get a reputation you won't want.
Old 10-12-10, 10:21 PM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I simply use the bank drive through. I had one teller tell me the drive through was not for 'walk ups'. I informed her that the sign said 'vehicles only' and that I was on a vehicle (My bicycle)! The allow motorcycles and even dirt bikes without question, so why not bicycles!
Old 10-12-10, 10:39 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I'd look around town to see if there is another banking facility that will accept bicycles at a their drive-up.

I really haven't had to deal with the issue of being turned down at a bank drive-up since all of our local banking facilities have automated their drive-ups many years ago, and ATM's cannot make biased decisions on one's mode of transportation.
Old 10-12-10, 11:25 PM
Newspaperguy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With any issue surrounding car-free or car-light living, it's important to pick your battles. Some are more important than others and some have better odds than others.
Old 10-12-10, 11:39 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I usually ask nicely before I bring my bike indoors and have never been refused. Maybe it's because I look like the governator and they think if they tell me no my then "I'll be back". Of course it could also be that Eugene, OR is a notorious hotbed of bike theft (and other annoying crime) and most employees in the downtown recognize that customers will take their business elsewhere if they risk being ripped off unnecessarily.
Old 10-13-10, 02:52 PM
crazybikerchick

Bikes: Devinci Caribou, Kona Dew Plus, Raleigh Twenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaperguy
Just bike where you want to go and lock your bike outside the place. Don't bring it inside unless you're invited to do so. You'll soon earn a lot of respect and if they see you're a regular customer, they may eventually set up bike racks.

If you insist it's your right to take your bike into a business, you'll get a reputation you won't want.
But what if there is absolutely nothing to lock the bike up to within a reasonable distance of the place? One clothing store in a big-box-hell-strip mall the best I found to lock up to was a sidewalk rack of clothing. They probably weren't amused at that although noone said anything. I picked winter coats on a warm sunny day figuring nobody would be trying on the coats. Another place I wanted to go to in box stripmall hell I skipped entirely as I didn't see anywhere reasonable to leave the bike and I didn't feel like walking across miles of parking lot. Parking lot seas often have literally nothing to lock a bicycle to.
Old 10-13-10, 03:45 PM
Newspaperguy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by crazybikerchick
But what if there is absolutely nothing to lock the bike up to within a reasonable distance of the place? One clothing store in a big-box-hell-strip mall the best I found to lock up to was a sidewalk rack of clothing. They probably weren't amused at that although noone said anything. I picked winter coats on a warm sunny day figuring nobody would be trying on the coats. Another place I wanted to go to in box stripmall hell I skipped entirely as I didn't see anywhere reasonable to leave the bike and I didn't feel like walking across miles of parking lot. Parking lot seas often have literally nothing to lock a bicycle to.
Are there any parking meters, No Parking signs or light standards around? If not, is there a railing behind the store, near the loading dock, where you might be able to lock up?
Old 10-13-10, 04:01 PM
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been refused drive-through service on motorcycles too, and no one can pretend those are not vehicles. Apparently business owners (or maybe their insurance companies) are somehow convinced that sitting at a drive-though window is so dangerous that you need to be surrounded by a steel cage.
Old 10-13-10, 04:05 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by crazybikerchick
Almost every parking lot has light poles, which are great for locking. The steel racks for cart corrals are also good--except it's possible your bike could get scratched if somebody carelessly rolls a cart into the corral.

I wonder--do you use a U-lock? These are much less versatile than the cable-type locks. You can wrap a cable lock around almost anything--poles, trees, railings, even a sewer grate!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-13-10, 06:00 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Almost every parking lot has light poles, which are great for locking. The steel racks for cart corrals are also good--except it's possible your bike could get scratched if somebody carelessly rolls a cart into the corral.

I wonder--do you use a U-lock? These are much less versatile than the cable-type locks. You can wrap a cable lock around almost anything--poles, trees, railings, even a sewer grate!
I need to post pictures of the cart corrals at my local shopping center...there is NO WAY that I would lock a bike too it, scary part is they had to drive on the road to get to the shopping center. I have used Handicapped signs on more than one occasion to lock to. I think we need to fight for zoning laws to force shopping centers to provide some form of parking for cyclists. One parking space with bollards and racks can hold close to a dozen bicycles.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-13-10, 06:24 PM
The Aardvarks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I go through the drive-thru on my bike all the time. One time the teller asked if I needed a car loan. I thanked her and told her I was all set.
Old 10-13-10, 09:16 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by The Aardvarks
.....One time the teller asked if I needed a car loan......

I had a similar scenario, this banking facility did not have a drive-up, but it did not stop one of the tellers from mailing a very nice hand written letter telling me that I was pre approved for a $40,000 auto loan. I'm sure she didn't realize that the only reason that I had such good credit and a fat bank account, was that I wasn't paying for a $40,000 vehicle.
Old 10-13-10, 10:14 PM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
No issues on the drive-throughs on my bike I've been doing this for years. Hang in there you are doing everything right.
Old 10-14-10, 02:56 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 856 Posts

I would never make a stink about having a right to bring it in, but... I always walk in and act as if I assume it's o.k. It's very unusual for anyone to try to stop me, though they might give a sideways look. I just smile and act friendly, and they usually accept it.

Are there any parking meters, No Parking signs or light standards around? If not, is there a railing behind the store, near the loading dock, where you might be able to lock up?
Yikes! If I do lock up outside, I want high visibility, preferably right in front of the main entrance. A tree on the grass island in the parking lot, a handrail leading to the front door, a bike rack if it is sturdy and positioned for visibility... anywhere but the loading dock!
Old 10-14-10, 11:29 AM
scattered73
Justin

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine recently told me due to a bank robbery via bike that they wouldn't allow me to bike through the drive thru. Really silly, according to the news the robbery was commited inside then the crook took off via bike not the drive thru. I would expect they eventually they will figure out a way to fee us on this. Really the only other minor annoyance I have with being carfree is the check your bag at the cashier in the store with no way of identifying my bag to me. Whish they would do it like a coat check and give you a ticket so no one walks off with my bag. I am thinking about printing a picture of myself to my bag just so there will no confusion on returning my bag to me.
Old 10-14-10, 11:52 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by scattered73
Mine recently told me due to a bank robbery via bike that they wouldn't allow me to bike through the drive thru. Really silly,....
Sometimes I wonder what goes through the mind of most banking facility hierarchy.

I'd look around to see if other banking facilities allow bicycles through their drive-up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.