Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Why I spend a hundred bucks on tires

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-10, 03:39 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts

I was on the way home Friday when I heard the dreaded "tick tick tick" of a foreign object in my rear tire. I stopped as quickly as I could to find a sizable chuck of glass dead center in my tire. I did not have the presence of mind to take a photo before I pulled it out, but I did take a photo of the offender. I thought for sure the extraction would be followed by hisssssssss, but was amazed that I got off scot-free. You can see the scuff marks that were made when the road attempted to hammer the glass through the Kevlar belt.

The tire which shrugged off the attack is a Continental Top Contact with approximately 1300 miles on it. I have not had a single flat on front or rear on these tires.

What is the nastiest road hazard your tires have survived?
Old 10-24-10, 03:41 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
I wouldn't know. I only would know the hazards they didn't survive
Old 10-24-10, 03:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
10p Nail in bottom and out the side... but the tube was a casualty, tire went on for a long time after then ,
New tube inside.

at least The tire did not need a Tetanus Booster
Old 10-24-10, 04:11 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was riding with a friend who was following me. We heard a loud pop and stopped. We discovered a drywall screw lodged in her tire

I some how dodged that one.
Old 10-24-10, 06:12 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Not a lot of road hazards around here. I used to pick up a glass sliver or a staple about once a year, but for the last couple of years all I've had have been pinch flats when I let the pressure get too low.
Old 10-24-10, 06:23 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Got my first flat in 3 years today and I don't spend $100 on tires, but I do ride GP4000s. It was on the front too, which is surprising since they are almost always on the rear. I heard something was stuck in my tires after coming off the Williamsburg Bridge into Manhattan but when I stopped it was already gone. On the Manhattan Bridge back to Brooklyn it went flat. I replaced the tube on the bridge and I couldn't find anything in the tire.
Old 10-24-10, 06:36 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The nastiest flat I had was a self drilling screw that went through my nokian extreme studded tire, just as I left work on one cold february afternoon. I don't think any tire would of been resistent to that.
Old 10-24-10, 06:41 PM
billdsd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've pulled a lot of goat heads out of my tires. Slime kept me going.

The I've had screws go through my tires twice. One of those times it went through the inner wall of the rim as well. The other time the screw went through one side of the tire and out the other. It's why I carry a spare tire.

I've also had a small nail take out a tire.
Old 10-24-10, 06:41 PM
mnemia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Around here, the debris has been getting really bad lately (actually, pretty much all year). I think my area decided to cut back on street sweeping for cost reasons (or at least that's the story I've heard), so maybe that's contributing to the problem. I've had a number of flats recently, all due to broken glass on the road, and it seems like it's everywhere. I'm getting really tired of it - anyone have any tips on how to get the local authorities to pay attention to the problem, or even just who to contact? They just opened a new road near me, and it ALREADY has 3 different places where people have tossed glass bottles into the bike lanes within weeks of the road being opened. I can't even imagine what's going through the minds of the piggish "citizens" who think that's acceptable behavior, but it's a serious inconvenience and a safety hazard.

Alternatively, are Kevlar tires or some other specialty tire going to seriously be resistant to all the glass I'm encountering every day lately?
Old 10-24-10, 07:03 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by mnemia
Alternatively, are Kevlar tires or some other specialty tire going to seriously be resistant to all the glass I'm encountering every day lately?
The last couple of weeks, there has been a TON of glass on the roads. I've just been riding through it with some degree of confidence. I did, however, call the public works department for one of the particularly bad stretches of road. I called them in the morning, and the road was clear on my way home. Big kudos to Sherwood public works dept.!

After 400 miles with several flats on the Suckasaurus tires that came with my LHT, I can say yes - Kevlar tires are seriously resistant to glass.
Old 10-24-10, 07:06 PM
Titmawz

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the riding homies caught a 5 inch nail with his 700x23 rear tire ! Dude, thats like winning the lottery ! lol
Old 10-24-10, 07:24 PM
scattered73
Justin

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
about a year ago I heard a ticking noise which was the nail hitting the chainstay anyway very lucky pulled the nail out and didn't loose any air.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
lucky.jpg (59.0 KB, 127 views)
Old 10-24-10, 07:36 PM
Titmawz

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ lol damn
Old 10-24-10, 08:13 PM
scattered73
Justin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheap forte tires >$15
Old 10-24-10, 08:55 PM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts
I ride on Michelin Pro Race 3's on my bike. Yes pricey tires but it's just what came on my bike and I commute twenty miles round trip. I'm surprised from the stuff I ride over and I never have gotten a flat...knock on wood since I don't ride with spares. It's kinda funny since I usually inflate them up to 115psi and rocks shoot out when I ride them over pretty dang fast.
Old 10-24-10, 09:06 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm the nastiest road hazard that my tires have ever survived; I overinflated my Michelin Pilot City tires and suffered a front end blowout. I managed to survive the insult, as did my tire, but the tube was a write-off. To date I have yet to suffer a puncture flat with those tires, ditto my Conti Top Contacts, and ditto my Schwalbe Marathon Winters (knock on wood). I wish I could say the same for the OE Kendas that came with my Schwinn. 3 flats in a week is the reason why it now sports the Michelins.
Old 10-25-10, 06:06 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by scattered73
Cheap forte tires >$15
Did you mean > $15 or < $15? Most tires are > $15.
Old 10-25-10, 08:29 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by scattered73
about a year ago I heard a ticking noise which was the nail hitting the chainstay anyway very lucky pulled the nail out and didn't loose any air.
pretty good, my most spectacular nail puncture was a 12d nail that went through the tire, tube AND rim. This was 35yrs ago on a Super Champion double wall rim. WHACK WHACK WHACK....wtf?
Old 10-26-10, 12:47 PM
scattered73
Justin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Did you mean > $15 or < $15? Most tires are > $15.
Whoops good catch, I meant less than $15. I really liked the tires but the strangest thing the casing split on the inside of the front tire not to long after making for a bumpy ride. Still have the tire that was puctured kinda lost faith in that brand tires after the weird casing issue keep it as an emergency spare.
Old 10-26-10, 12:56 PM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Don't know. My $20 Kenda Kwests have been rolling fine for over 2000 miles now. Did I just jinxed myself?
Route consists of nasty industrial roads to stamped gravel trails. Nuts, bolts, grass, fist size rocks....
So i say you have spent way too much.
Old 10-26-10, 02:48 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've been riding on Forte VersaTrac's for five years. They are no longer made, but still rollin' strong. I went from Colorado Springs to Dallas on them without a flat. I also like the Gotham. Heavy, but solid.
Old 10-26-10, 03:01 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...What is the nastiest road hazard your tires have survived?
Pulled a 2 inch drywall screw out of my month old Schalbe Marathon Plus. It was buried up to the head. Had to use the phillips attachment on my multi-tool to unscrew it out. I keep it in my tool-bag as a reminder. Wish I was PC savvy enough to take a pic and upload it like the OP.
Old 10-26-10, 05:56 PM
jharte
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1800 miles this year on Continentals. One broken spoke. No flats.

It sounds like we get off scott-free but in reality we pay every time we ride these heavy but reliable tires. Lol.

Jerry H
Old 10-27-10, 12:35 AM
Sundance89

Bikes: [IMG]https://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/89ScottG/TourdeScottsdalePic.jpg[/IMG]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The nastiest flat I had was a self drilling screw that went through my nokian extreme studded tire, just as I left work on one cold february afternoon. I don't think any tire would of been resistent to that.
Not so fast. As you can see, this screw had gone completely into my tire (Serfas Survivor Series) right down to the washer. I heard it clapping against the ground before I saw it. When I pulled the screw out I fully expected the tire to shrink. I was amazed to actually see the separate layers of the tire concave in to protect the tube. You could actually see the kevlar do its thing. The tube was untouched and had full pressure. I continued to ride home.

I now have Continental Ultra Gatorskins only because I sold that bike with the tires on it, but I wouldn't hesitate owning another pair.

Serfas..jpg.
Old 10-27-10, 12:51 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I have put more than 10,000 km on these tyres (Schwalbe Hurricanes) and there is still plenty of tread left and they have never suffered a flat save for a valve stem that tore away from a tube... and they were $35.00 each.

Worst flat ever was when I was booking it on my 1933 CCM roadster and picked up a nail which went straight through the tire and one side of the tube and then punched a few dozen holes in the other side of the tube as I brought the bike to a stop.

There was no patching that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.