Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Christmas ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Christmas ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-10, 06:45 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Christmas ride

So this year for Xmas I got a nice cold weather Cannondale jacket, a medieval balaclava, and some heavy-duty cycling gloves. This afternoon it was a balmy 30F with a wind chill quite a bit lower, so I went for a spin. It took about a half-hour to put all the stuff on:

After an hour my feet, ears, and nether regions were cold. I also fogged up my glasses whenever I exerted myself, ie went up a hill.

I figure PCad's trick of putting chemical heaters on the toes of the shoes would help. Other than wear a second pair of ear-warmers I don't know what else to do about them. I don't worry about the nether regions too much these days.

Any tips on the fogging issue?

PS I was surprised: on my trunk all I had was a synthetic base, a wool-blend jersey, and the jacket. It felt breezy but I never broke out in a sweat and hence didn't feel cold and miserable.

PPS I'd rather ride an hour in cold weather than 1/2 hour on the trainer.

Last edited by The Weak Link; 12-25-10 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-25-10, 07:02 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep the nose out of the balaclava will help with the fogging.
Also - use a little straight dish soap to clean the glasses, the soap residue will help.
Old 12-25-10, 07:10 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fleece lined winter bibs work for me. Love em.

180s earmuffs for the ears.
Old 12-25-10, 07:19 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
When you ride down to the bank to make a deposit...don't forget to remove that balaclava before you go inside.
Old 12-25-10, 07:37 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
...a medieval balaclava...
what?
Old 12-25-10, 07:50 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
Take off that helmet and get a proper winter hat that covers ears well, or a high tech ($$) thin one for under helmet that has a fleece-lined band for ear warmth. Chapstick on exposed facial skin helps. For feet either (1) the toe warmers between shoe and wind resistant cover, or (2) winter riding boots. I often put riding shorts on over the tights for extra warmth.

For me the fingers are always a problem with gloves, but an oversized ski mitt with warmers works for warmth but feels so clumsy.

About 35F without much wind is my lower limit, I'm not a fan of conditions that could result in ice. MTB for any snow rides. Seldom that cold in Seattle region. Missouri winters kept me off the bike a lot.

I don't have a foggy problem in the cold but a runny nose problem. Sudafed 30 min before ride helps.

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-25-10 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-25-10, 08:04 PM
GeorgeBaby

Bikes: 2005 Bike Friday NWT, Bacchetta Giro 26, 2019 Titanium Bilenky Midlands

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
When you ride down to the bank to make a deposit...don't forget to remove that balaclava before you go inside.
Back when I was young, and rode no matter what the temperature, I stopped off at the bank one cold day, and spent about 5 minutes peeling my balaclava out of my beard before entering. When I went in, the armed guard remarked that removing the balaclava, no matter how painful, was one of my better decisions that day.
Old 12-25-10, 08:24 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I don't have a foggy problem in the cold but a runny nose problem. Sudafed 30 min before ride helps.
Learn the fine art of the snot rocket. When it gets cold I threaten my riding buddy that I will give him a free cassette lube if he gets too close.
Old 12-25-10, 09:48 PM
drmweaver2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ears - use a thin headband in addition to the balaclava. Be sure that the helmet liner straps are loosened to accommodate the additional thickness(es) of the headband and balaclava in comparison to the adjustment for summer riding/wear.

Hands - try up to 2 pair of moisture-wicking glove liners and/or windproof overgloves/overmittens. I've fashioned a pair of "windscreen covers" for myself from a pair of extra-large dishwashing gloves - that is, I split them in half palm-to-back_of_the_hand and can strap these on over the top of my regular gloves covering only the back of my hands/fingers. Works pretty well down to 32F in winds gusting to the low 30mph range. Leaving the palms uncovered by these "covers" seems to allow any humidity buildup to escape, so my gloves don't get soaked from sweat/sweat doesn't soak the inside or the outside of the gloves. First used this idea when I was snow-camping/hiking in Alaska. Seemed like it should work biking and, for me, it does.

Feet - sock liners, toe covers, those hand/foot warmers others mention so often. All are valid suggestions. But ultimately it comes down to circulation issues - moving your toes around will help keep the vessels and capillaries open and moving blood. Also, any tightness or restriction on the skin surface can restrict blood flow - so use socks with looser than normal elastic at the top, loosen the shoe laces a bit more than normal, wear slightly larger shoes than normal - all these things will help. Wind-/wet-proofing the shoe surface is recommended if feasible - using an outer cover (toe or full). Obviously, shoes with mesh covers will be colder than totally leather ones; leather will be warmer than plastic (leather breathes, plastic doesn't). Fenders will help avoid cold from slush/snow and other cold materials thrown onto the toes/shoes.

Nose/eyeglass fogging: ah, the bane of a snow skier's existence! When skiing I found my glasses fogged a lot 'til I found the right set of goggles with the right venting for my face/eyeglasses. I also like the idea of the balaclava covering my nose for warmth but that resulted in warm air going into my ski mask, so now I use a mask that has a nose cut-out rather than pulling a "solid" piece of cloth in front of my nose. I'd try the same setup if I were riding in sub-freezing weather.

Last edited by drmweaver2; 12-25-10 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-25-10, 10:53 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scroca
what?

It has a front panel that can swing up and down as the circumstances require. It looks like a visor to a medieval helmet. Or something Darth Vader would wear. In fact my granddaughter ran from the room when I first wore this thing.
Old 12-25-10, 11:34 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just layer up the body but gead and I use a ski mask. Thin material but it is warm. Feet and hands and it is Seal Skinz socks and gloves. They are waterproof but also 100% windproof.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-26-10, 06:07 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
...Any tips on the fogging issue?...
I perenially post on this subject. This is my latest, with pictures:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...sing-your-eyes

post #19
Old 12-26-10, 06:38 AM
Bare Feet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice Christmas gifts! They look great!!

FOGGING: As others have said, uncover your nose to avoid fogging. I pull mine up and down as needed. When my nose is out, it still covers my cheeks and mouth.

BOTTOM UNDER LAYERS: Smartwool long-johns base layer are simply the best, and wear an extra pair of padded biking shorts under your biking tights. Yes, one is good, two is better.

FEET: If your biking shoe is large enough- thin biking sock as a liner, followed by thick insulated (ski sock), chemical Toe Warmers (open & shake while getting dressed), neoprene boot shoe covers.

Your gloves must be awesome, as you didn't mention cold hands.

Last edited by Bare Feet; 12-26-10 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-26-10, 08:04 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At 30 degrees, I used a neoprene face mask. It has little holes right below the nostrils and a bigger one at the mouth that prevent exhailed air from fogging the glasses. At that temp, my policy is no exposed skin.
Old 12-26-10, 09:52 AM
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like you got all the stuff there TWL. I try not to go out if it's under 35° for fear of ice but for rain I tried RainX the other day and it seemed to help with fogging as well. I ditched the balaclava because it made things worse...but I use a beanie/skull cap over the ears and just tough it out on the face.
Old 12-26-10, 10:03 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts

It has a front panel that can swing up and down as the circumstances require. It looks like a visor to a medieval helmet. Or something Darth Vader would wear. In fact my granddaughter ran from the room when I first wore this thing.
What is the brand name of that balaclava? I think I'd like to try one like that.
The one I have is lycra with a neoprene face panel, and it works fine for keeping my face warm, but I have to wear a fleace bandana to keep the top of my head, forehead and ears warm.
I also find ski goggles indespensible once the temperature drops to -3c or so.
Old 12-26-10, 12:48 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
My wife and I rode the club's Christmas Day ride and while it was quite cold at the start (45 deg. F) as the fog burned off and the sun came out it eventually hit 65 deg.F (maybe colder in other parts of the country).

Anyway, we were fairly bundled up, as seen in this photo taken at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, one of the first coffee shops open on Christmas day. (click on photo to enlarge).:

Rick / OCRR
Attached Images
Old 12-26-10, 02:50 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
No time for a Christmas day ride. Too busy cooking and eating. Went for a boxing day ride today to make up for it a little bit. (More overeating on the way tomorrow with another family gathering.)
Temperature was running about -6c (21f), so full winter gear alert was in effect.

It's a bit chilly, but we have virtually no snow here in the GTA.
Looking out over Lake Ontario on today's venture.

Old 12-26-10, 03:13 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Man, you guys are tough!!! I went for a Christmas ride..in bike shorts and a t shirt..a nice 45 miler. Temps in the 68-72's (lots of wind) but today we are in the low 30's with a howling NW wind driving the chills down to the teen's. I took my bike off my roof rack but that was about it. I'm cookin' chicken soup and have the fireplace cranked until the side vents glow. Any colder than this and I am moving to Panama!!

Mike
Old 12-26-10, 07:16 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
So this year for Xmas I got a nice cold weather Cannondale jacket, a medieval balaclava, and some heavy-duty cycling gloves. This afternoon it was a balmy 30F with a wind chill quite a bit lower, so I went for a spin. It took about a half-hour to put all the stuff on:
Based on your description, I had envisioned one of these...

and wondered if your routes took you through some high risk areas.

Last edited by doctor j; 12-26-10 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Poor skills with the keyboard
Old 12-26-10, 08:12 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Can I get some recommendations for cold weather gear for the south? I am looking for some full length wool tights, water proof gloves that aren't too bulky and some wool socks, perhaps the Seal Skinz that Stap recommended for the socks. Oh and a light weight riding jacket. Road riding only , no trails or MTB stuff for me any more. Thanks to all.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-26-10, 08:42 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
What is the brand name of that balaclava? I think I'd like to try one like that.
The one I have is lycra with a neoprene face panel, and it works fine for keeping my face warm, but I have to wear a fleace bandana to keep the top of my head, forehead and ears warm.
I also find ski goggles indespensible once the temperature drops to -3c or so.
It is a Cannondale product called Slice, I think. My ears still got a little cold but my face was fine, other than the fogging.

The jacket is also a Cannondale product.

I'm just learning the ropes, but it's important for a little air to be circulating about the trunk. Otherwise, you'll sweat and then get really cold.

However, the bib tights are wind-proof, as are the neoprene booties.

I'm pretty sure the gloves are also Cannondale. My fingers felt cold for about 30 minutes but after that they warmed up and were fine.

My biggest concern is ice on the road. I was pretty nervous about riding in subfreezing weather. I figure when it gets up to about 35F (those were the good old days) it'll be golden. Relatively.
Old 12-27-10, 05:24 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
...My biggest concern is ice on the road. I was pretty nervous about riding in subfreezing weather. I figure when it gets up to about 35F (those were the good old days) it'll be golden. Relatively.
You probably already know this, but I'll just point out that with studded tires you need not fear ice.
Old 12-27-10, 07:38 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scroca
You probably already know this, but I'll just point out that with studded tires you need not fear ice.
Which would you recommend?
Old 12-28-10, 01:18 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Can I get some recommendations for cold weather gear for the south? I am looking for some full length wool tights, water proof gloves that aren't too bulky and some wool socks, perhaps the Seal Skinz that Stap recommended for the socks. Oh and a light weight riding jacket. Road riding only , no trails or MTB stuff for me any more. Thanks to all.

Bill
Cold weather in Florida? ? ? ?

On the jacket- Providing you can layer up then you need a windproof to keep the cold out. I know I keep on about the material but Pertex works but only if it is dry. There must be other materials that work just aswell but I know Pertex works. Sealskinz work in a similar way in that they keep the wind out but with the added benefit of being breathable and waterproof. Legs and it has to be well below freezing for me to wear leggings but I do have KNickers that are long shorts that cover the knees. And I have found the boot covers really keep the wind and wet of of the shoes so keeping them warmer.

Spike Milligan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.